Jump to content
IGNORED

International Cricket


Monkeh
 Share

Recommended Posts

Difficult call about that Jennings decision, with the fact he's been given out the ball only has to flick the stump for it to stay out, so I don't think you can really blame Jennings for not reviewing it. If it had clipped fractionally he'd probably have got done for wasting a review instead. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
7 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I have had literally no confidence in any England opener since Strauss retired. Cook has not been the same player he was with Strauss and we've tried so many partners for him I've lost count. 

Cook has been in incredible form for Essex this season.  I think this pitch is a typical lords one with a bit of mischief early on first day.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tomarse said:

Cook has been in incredible form for Essex this season.  I think this pitch is a typical lords one with a bit of mischief early on first day.  

Agree have seen him destroy Somerset twice this season both times with relative ease

He will still come good

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tomarse said:

Cook has been in incredible form for Essex this season.  I think this pitch is a typical lords one with a bit of mischief early on first day.  

Playing for your county and playing international test cricket are vastly different. The theme of the last few years of England's test team has been how our lower middle order and tail-enders have saved us. The Aussies will have a field day if we keep getting 20-2 or 30-3 as we so regularly do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, hodge said:

Difficult call about that Jennings decision, with the fact he's been given out the ball only has to flick the stump for it to stay out, so I don't think you can really blame Jennings for not reviewing it. If it had clipped fractionally he'd probably have got done for wasting a review instead. 

The fact that the ball pitched outside leg should be something a batsman is aware of & once you know it's pitched outside leg you appeal all day long because you're not out, end of!! Irrelevant if it's clipping the wickets or smashing them all over the place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tipps69 said:

The fact that the ball pitched outside leg should be something a batsman is aware of & once you know it's pitched outside leg you appeal all day long because you're not out, end of!! Irrelevant if it's clipping the wickets or smashing them all over the place.

It was half a seam from being inline, in the split second Jennings had to react to the ball its very hard for him to know that its pitched half a seam outside the line, all the ball had to do with be a fraction further over and hit the stump by the smallest amount and he'd have stayed out. Blame if anything lies with Ballance as he should have given him the biggest indication.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Hick was similar years ago, bags of runs in the CC Then would fail at Test level, over and over again..

I've seen a few people make that comparison, it seems spot on though, sadly. Runs in county cricket aren't everything, the likes of Trescothick, Vaughan and Root didn't have a particularly great record before they got selected but it's as much about temperament and technique as anything else.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, hodge said:

It was half a seam from being inline, in the split second Jennings had to react to the ball its very hard for him to know that its pitched half a seam outside the line, all the ball had to do with be a fraction further over and hit the stump by the smallest amount and he'd have stayed out. Blame if anything lies with Ballance as he should have given him the biggest indication.

But Jennings should also be aware of where the ball pitched, as the batsman facing.

The only defence of Ballance is the fact that he was the other side of the wicket from where the ball pitched, so would have far less of an idea of where the ball pitched compared to Jennings!!

From Jennings point of view, there was so little going for the ball (more than enough doubt) that he should of known there were a couple of reasons to doubt the decision & if he had appealed & got it wrong, the team would just put it down to a lack of experience / nerves & advised him regarding future situations.

Jennings lack of appeal could of cost England massively, especially looking at the current situation.

As for Ballance, he's under huge self-imposed pressure to succeed & to prove that he deserves to be out there (which is very debatable in my view) & will result in him making more rash decisions than anyone else because ultimately he's in it for himself at this stage of his England career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well that was a much better afternoon session, helped by the South African's lack of discipline from the bowlers.

How much longer can we afford to lose 2, 3 or 4 batsman cheaply at the start of an innings though? Surely there'll come a time when the middle order will struggle?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

More indiscipline from the South African bowlers letting us off the hook!!

How or why does a spinner no-ball via his front foot? It should never happen especially at test match level.

Shocking umpiring as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Shocking umpiring as well.

Trouble is, the umpires rely on the technology to get them out of the shit more often than not now.

They went through a stage where they were basically ignoring front foot no-balls & then allowing the third umpire to review things if a wicket fell but the problem was, how many runs did teams miss out because of it?

I think they have realised that they were missing things & have tried correcting things now but they are still relying on technology too much, in my view.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Northern Red said:

Pisspoor over rate. And I doubt England will be much better tomorrow either. 

Short changing the public who've paid a lot of money. 

Tbf they were only 3 overs short of what they should have been in the end, considering they were 5 behind at lunch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

More indiscipline from the South African bowlers letting us off the hook!!

How or why does a spinner no-ball via his front foot? It should never happen especially at test match level.

Shouldnt happen full stop 

No reason to over step what so ever (Bar brown envelopes full of cash)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, hodge said:

Tbf they were only 3 overs short of what they should have been in the end, considering they were 5 behind at lunch. 

They did use the extra 30 mins to bowl some extra overs and were still 3 overs short.

Personally would like to see times dicked runs for slow over rate. If by 6 your 8 overs short then other team get 5 runs per over meaning 40 runs. Only decided at end of day by 3rd umpire,match ref, in case of mitigating circumstances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

They did use the extra 30 mins to bowl some extra overs and were still 3 overs short.

Personally would like to see times dicked runs for slow over rate. If by 6 your 8 overs short then other team get 5 runs per over meaning 40 runs. Only decided at end of day by 3rd umpire,match ref, in case of mitigating circumstances.

Great idea but  unfortunately the ICC are notoriously reluctant to change anything.............:sleeping:

The Sky pundits were discussing the slow over rate and various ideas about how to improve it and then Nasser asked why the rate had often become so slow when in the past it wasn't an issue. Good question.......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

They did use the extra 30 mins to bowl some extra overs and were still 3 overs short.

Personally would like to see times dicked runs for slow over rate. If by 6 your 8 overs short then other team get 5 runs per over meaning 40 runs. Only decided at end of day by 3rd umpire,match ref, in case of mitigating circumstances.

Fair enough I just went off the scorecard

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to International Cricket

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...