IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

27 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

This is the sort of end phase of a test match that surely even appeals to people who claim test cricket is boring.

The people who say that don’t understand cricket, particularly test cricket.

To me it’s the greatest form of an amazing and fascinating game. 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

2nd Highest run chase in Galle, good that Butler/Sibley got some runs. Decisions needed about Crawley & Lawrence thou.  Burns/Stokes ? 

Stokes will be back but several of the team are being ‘rested’. Bairstow for one. It’s all to do with life in a bubble and it’s felt that certain players need a break from it.

6 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

I like Crawley but maybe not sure he is right to start the series in India. Not seen enough of Lawrence yet.

Free hit in India now as expecting to lose heavily. 

Me too. There’s definitely a player in there, I just think he needs to find his feet as an opener and adjust to the conditions in the subcontinent.

Sibley showed a lot of promise in the last innings, said they’ve tweaked his approach to spin in the last week so hopefully he’s found something that works for him. Can just see him getting caught leg slip/gully or short leg with those glances he plays. 

Not long now until the 1st Test.  I think the team will be:

1. Burns

2. Sibley

3. Crawley

4. Root

5. Stokes

6. Lawrence (if Pope not fit)  (or Moeen if playing 3 spinners)

7. Buttler

8. Bess

9. Leach

10. Wood 

11.  Broad (or Anderson depending on rotation)

Players without brackets more likely to start I reckon.  Outside chance of 3 spinners.  Only when Stokes isn't available does it drum home how important he is for the balance of the side.  Almost like playing with 12 players.  

Only question mark if 3 spinners play is whether Moeen would come in for Lawrence or Wood.  Cannot see them going into a Test with only Broad and Stokes as the pace options so think it would be Lawrence if the pitch is a big turner.

20 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Not long now until the 1st Test.  I think the team will be:

1. Burns

2. Sibley

3. Crawley

4. Root

5. Stokes

6. Lawrence (if Pope not fit)  (or Moeen if playing 3 spinners)

7. Buttler

8. Bess

9. Leach

10. Wood 

11.  Broad (or Anderson depending on rotation)

Players without brackets more likely to start I reckon.  Outside chance of 3 spinners.  Only when Stokes isn't available does it drum home how important he is for the balance of the side.  Almost like playing with 12 players.  

Only question mark if 3 spinners play is whether Moeen would come in for Lawrence or Wood.  Cannot see them going into a Test with only Broad and Stokes as the pace options so think it would be Lawrence if the pitch is a big turner.

Wood isn’t there for the first two tests.

A reminder of just how tough the next few weeks are likely to be and if England get well beaten, which I expect they will, the criticism shouldn’t be go too over the top. 

Playing India (a) at the moment right up there with the toughest tasks in the history of test cricket.

Also shows just how impressive it was England winning there 2-1 in 2012 under Cook.

989CD2EE-8DED-45A4-9FB2-6AD8893E2AC4.jpeg

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

A reminder of just how tough the next few weeks are likely to be and if England get well beaten, which I expect they will, the criticism shouldn’t be go too over the top. 

Playing India (a) at the moment right up there with the toughest tasks in the history of test cricket.

Also shows just how impressive it was England winning there 2-1 in 2012 under Cook.

989CD2EE-8DED-45A4-9FB2-6AD8893E2AC4.jpeg

We all knew that India will be a tough task but looking at the record makes it even more scary. ...I didn’t realise they were that good.

14 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

https://t.co/DUHktwwYTx

amazing news, channel 4 wins rights 

Excellent news. I don't have any particular issue with the quality of Sky's own cricket coverage, but getting it free to air hopefully widens the audience, and brings new viewers to the sport.

1 minute ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Excellent news. I don't have any particular issue with the quality of Sky's own cricket coverage, but getting it free to air hopefully widens the audience, and brings new viewers to the sport.

Absolutely. I remember reading that when we won the ashes when it was on channel four, 8m people watched. I remember explaining the rules of cricket that summer about ten times to people who got into it.  The next time we won it was on sky and less than 2m watched. 

Can understand cricket chasing the buck but it does harm the sport quite a lot i think 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Great news and hopefully the majority of the C5 team will be retained, although if they loose gobshite Vaughan that'll be a plus.

Strauss and Cook have been mentioned as studio pundits, although the commentary will be from the host broadcaster so it'll be mostly Indian voices with a couple of English guests (Mark Butcher is definitely one as he's over there now).