IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It’s strange to do it after 1 test though, several day isolation period for a few days training a 5 days of play

The ECB has probably decided on a period of 3 weeks or so that each player is to have outside of the bubble rather than specific matches. Stokes and Archer had there time off during the Sri Lankan series, Bairstow is currently having his and will be back out for the last two tests and ODI seres as will Buttler. The rest of the squad are Test only players so it doesn't affect them as much as there time in the bubble will naturally come to an end after the 4th Test.

18 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

It’s strange to do it after 1 test though, several day isolation period for a few days training a 5 days of play

They spent 9 days in isolation on arriving in India and had similar bubbles in Sri Lanka. No matter which way you look at it bubble life can have a detrimental effect on players mental health - we see on the news how difficult it is for some people to tolerate lockdown restrictions 

18 minutes ago, Robbored said:

They spent 9 days in isolation on arriving in India and had similar bubbles in Sri Lanka. No matter which way you look at it bubble life can have a detrimental effect on players mental health - we see on the news how difficult it is for some people to tolerate lockdown restrictions 

Point being I'd have thought they'd have sent him away as well to have a break and arrive for later tests and stay on for ODI

35 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Leach averages 20 in second innings. 2nd best second innings average for a spinner over the last 50 years.  

Hugely underrated player

I read earlier that, had Jack got his five-for, he would have been only the second English player to have taken five fourth innings wickets in India, the only previous one dating back to 1936!

One other aspect of this enthralling match that I noticed, was the warm sporting spirit in which it was played.  

Joe Root never seemed to stop smiling, engaging frequently with both his own teammates and the Indian players, and even Virat Kohli, who sometimes appears quite brash, was very quick to congratulate Joe Root, both when he reached 200 and when he was finally dismissed.

It must have been quite a pleasant relief for the Indian team after their experience in the recent series in Australia.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TomF said:

I've always thought Kohli was fairly classy.  Not sure how good a captain he is though, I think Rahane might be the better captain as illustrated in Australia. 

Kohli’s captaincy was questioned on C4 saying today that today was his fourth consecutive defeat. Absolutely no doubting his brilliance as a batsman tho.

34 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I read earlier that, had Jack got his five-for, he would have been only the second English player to have taken five fourth innings wickets in India, the only previous one dating back to 1936!

One other aspect of this enthralling match that I noticed, was the warm sporting spirit in which it was played.  

Joe Root never seemed to stop smiling, engaging frequently with both his own teammates and the Indian players, and even Virat Kohli, who sometimes appears quite brash, was very quick to congratulate Joe Root, both when he reached 200 and when he was finally dismissed.

It must have been quite a pleasant relief for the Indian team after their experience in the recent series in Australia.  

Usually the way after playing that lot. I remember England going to New Zealand shortly after a particularly heated Ashes tour a few years back and the contrast was night and day. The cricket was no less competitive or intense, but played in a much more respectful, friendly atmosphere.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TomF said:

I've always thought Kohli was fairly classy.  Not sure how good a captain he is though, I think Rahane might be the better captain as illustrated in Australia. 

I think he's generally 'classy' in being a good loser and respectful in terms of sportsmanship etc, but then can also be a dick at times but so can 99% of players

33 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Usually the way after playing that lot. I remember England going to New Zealand shortly after a particularly heated Ashes tour a few years back and the contrast was night and day. The cricket was no less competitive or intense, but played in a much more respectful, friendly atmosphere.

Having been to Australia and NZ in the recent past with England I can confirm that your comments extend to the locals too! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomF said:

I think being a dick/arrogant almost comes hand in hand with being one of the best in the world.  Root is no angel with his words when he's on the pitch either. 

Yeah some people need to be in that mindset to perform at their best, also the arrogance taken by some is the confidence in their abilities. I've competed against Team GB members (who are due to be at the olympics if it goes ahead) and from one you definitely get the impression from him if you haven't talked to him but when you do he's said that's the state of mind he has to be in to perform the way he does, he has to believe he'll go out and beat anyone else, which to other people can come across as being a dick. 

44 minutes ago, TomF said:

I think being a dick/arrogant almost comes hand in hand with being one of the best in the world.  Root is no angel with his words when he's on the pitch either. 

I wasn't aware of this; my impression was that he is always smiling, both with his own team and the opposition. Indeed, the only time I can recall when he looked angry was when, following some homophobic 'banter', he told one of the West Indies team that there was nothing wrong with being gay. 

Interestingly, I have always consideredJos Buttler to be polite and mild-mannered, so was quite unpleasantly surprised during the recent series to hear him call one of the Pakistani players a d*ckhead.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I wasn't aware of this; my impression was that he is always smiling, both with his own team and the opposition. Indeed, the only time I can recall when he looked angry was when, following some homophobic 'banter', he told one of the West Indies team that there was nothing wrong with being gay. 

Interestingly, I have always consideredJos Buttler to be polite and mild-mannered, so was quite unpleasantly surprised during the recent series to hear him call one of the Pakistani players a d*ckhead.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Let’s not pretend that cricketers don’t sledge each other. Part of the game and hardly a reflection on them as people 

Of course, but I am sure you will agree that there are different levels of sledging.

To my mind, there is a world of difference between telling a bowler ‘You know what it looks like, go fetch it’ (Viv Richards?) or, even better, in response to being asked why he was so fat,  ‘because every time I **** your wife she gives me a biscuit’ than simply saying ‘Move, Kn*bhead’.

Anyway, a great win and roll on Saturday.

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

If they stick to their policy I think it would mean Wood comes in for him and Broad replaces Anderson. They must be tempted to just bring Broad in for Archer though 

Is olly Stone the other back up if you’re looking for more genuine pace? Is the day nighter the third test? You need Anderson playing that

6 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Is olly Stone the other back up if you’re looking for more genuine pace? Is the day nighter the third test? You need Anderson playing that

Yes it’s Stone.  He could certainly start.  Good point on the third test and completely agree.  Anderson will no doubt be saying he feels good and wants to play in the second! 

33 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

What the actual **** has moeen done to deserve a spot back in the side? Feel bad for Dom as he’s pretty much done as of asked of him so far, so unless he’s just been given a match off then I feel this is really harsh 

squad rotation.