IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Will we ever learn to play spin?

With a county championship being played in spring and autumn rather than summer, and with an an attitude that pitches designed to help 75mph seamers are fine, but pitches that aid spinners are cheating that require points deductions, I’d go for no.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

52 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Presumably easier than "Ebony-Jewel Cora-Lee Camellia Rosamond Rainford-Brent " :)

It's Aggers pet name for her.. 

Just turned it back over, they seem to have a child umpiring, TBH he couldn't be any worse than the fourth umpire. 

I thought it would be around 70-7 so, in a way we're improving... 

I wouldn’t say it’s that bad a defeat - some perspective needed I think. No one in the world has won a test series in India since 2012 when a really really good England side did 2–1. A much better side than this one. I expected us to lose 4-0 - we lost 3-1. 

There are definitely some good things from these last few games like Lawrence. And actually, if England had a decent spinner like a Swann etc then  I think it would have been close - Leach is ok but having an ok spinner  won’t win you a series out there. India are the best side in the world at test level with a real strength in depth too so to lose to them away isn’t that bad. You also have to consider that most players have been in that bubble for a long time now which isn’t great. Also Jimmy continues to be great even despite being about 65.

There were however a number of bad points. Selection questionable for the last 3 tests. Still real issues with openers - there has been since Strauss and Cook departed. Pope, I do think he will come good but seriously needs to improve against spin. Bess - not good enough sadly. Some of the shots played batting wise were obviously very poor in this test but again the quality of bowlers faced is a factor. 

I’m still not 100% sure on Root as a captain but obviously they won’t be changing anytime soon. And not sure who out of Butler and Foulkes to go with - Buttler probably?

But basically if England had a WC spinner and good openers then I don’t think we would be far off that no1 spot. Also for Oz we need an injury free Archer and I wonder if that is possible. His batting is a joke at test level so if he isn’t firing at 90mph then he’s no good.

Anyway looking forward to this summer when we can actually watch it live...got tickets for SL Bristol ODI, Pakistan test at Trent Bridge and then India test at Oval.

So what would people's teams look like building towards Australia in the winter? Think this is the first time I'd actually consider Anderson/Broad not being first names on a team sheet, we have bowlers who could perform well in Australia, hinted rotation policy will still be in effect so I can see a bigger touring party going and Broad/Anderson still making the flight. Unless a new opener sticks their hand up (if Lammonby can continue his form for example) in the summer I don't see us changing, only perhaps Crawley moving to open with Lawrence/Pope at 3. Certain Jos will resume with the gloves this summer, away from the sub continent spinners won't be so prominent so less stumping chances and Jos has taken 54 of the last 58 catching chances, plus he's found form with the bat.

1. Sibley
  2. Burns
  3. Crawley
  4. Root
  5. Stokes
  6. Lawrence
  7. Buttler
  8. C.Overton
  9. Leach
  10. Archer
  11. Stone

10 hours ago, Lrrr said:

So what would people's teams look like building towards Australia in the winter? Think this is the first time I'd actually consider Anderson/Broad not being first names on a team sheet, we have bowlers who could perform well in Australia, hinted rotation policy will still be in effect so I can see a bigger touring party going and Broad/Anderson still making the flight. Unless a new opener sticks their hand up (if Lammonby can continue his form for example) in the summer I don't see us changing, only perhaps Crawley moving to open with Lawrence/Pope at 3. Certain Jos will resume with the gloves this summer, away from the sub continent spinners won't be so prominent so less stumping chances and Jos has taken 54 of the last 58 catching chances, plus he's found form with the bat.

1. Sibley
  2. Burns
  3. Crawley
  4. Root
  5. Stokes
  6. Lawrence
  7. Buttler
  8. C.Overton
  9. Leach
  10. Archer
  11. Stone

Hard to see it too different to that. Personally don’t think Overton is good enough so would prefer an alternative there.  Seen a bit of James Bracey and would hope he gets a chance this summer.  Looks to have the technique needed. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Hard to see it too different to that. Personally don’t think Overton is good enough so would prefer an alternative there.  Seen a bit of James Bracey and would hope he gets a chance this summer.  Looks to have the technique needed. 

Overton improved just over 12 months ago when he changed bowling technique, he put on a yard of pace and decimated county cricket last season

So if Alex Hales is going to be reintegrated into the England limited overs setup what the hell is the batting order! 

1. Hales
  2. Roy
  3. Bairstow
  4. Malan
  5. Morgan
  6. Buttler (floater) 
  7. Stokes

?

Or do you drop the best in the world Malan and just go all gun ?

11 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

On recent form the one you'd drop is Roy.

That said, I think Hales being back in the side is still some way off, despite Morgan's comments.

Build up to T20 world cup I could see it, bring him back in but he'd need to perform exceptionally or someone fall off a cliff to make the squad but shows the chance is again there

Tom Curran for Wood the only change, if England are trying to ease Wood through the series due to his importance than fair enough, not keen on Tom though for England anymore, economy rate as bad as Gregory and at least Lewis could contribute with the bat. Would rather we looked elsewhere like Pat Brown for a bowler, he seemed to get a few games where he got smashed and got binned off but he’s one of the best on the county circuit for white ball