IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

Pink ball test wicket given 'average' rating ? pink ball contributed but it was a shambles of a pitch that seam bowlers couldn't bowl on if they'd needed to due to craters so quickly. Bare in mind excessive spin early in the game gets a 'poor' rating and you have 'below average' between that. Of course they were never going to give the pitch a poor rating given the new stadium so it didn't face sanctions.

On 14/03/2021 at 14:51, Robbored said:

Can anyone explain why if a ball pitches outside leg it can’t be given out LBW?

Ive never understood the rationale behind it.

It was to stop negative bowling

IF you needed to really slow the run rate down(Olden days Test Matches)

they would bowl around the wicket aiming just outside leg stump and stick7/8 fielders on the leg side

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

It was to stop negative bowling

IF you needed to really slow the run rate down(Olden days Test Matches)

they would bowl around the wicket aiming just outside leg stump and stick7/8 fielders on the leg side

But not more than two behind square on the leg side - a rule change implemented after the infamous 1932/33 Bodyline series in Australia

The ’leg theory’ was used by England captain Douglas Jardine to try and stifle the worlds best batsman, Don Bradman using his quick bowler Harold Larwood who could muster 90mpn rockets. 

England won the series 4-1 and the Aussies were not best pleased and fired off telegraphs to the MCC about the Bodyline tactics.......it’s fascinating story

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hmmm.

I am not at all convinced that SKY was out there.

I suspect there would be major complaints had that been an England batsman given out following an on-field 'soft' call of out.

Third umpire couldn't do anything else, you can't prove his ring/little fingers weren't under the ball

2 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Third umpire couldn't do anything else, you can't prove his ring/little fingers weren't under the ball

Oh, absolutely; the third umpire was screwed by the on-field 'soft' decision.

Conversely, of course, had the on-field 'soft' decision been Not Out, then that is how it would have (quite correctly in my opinion) stayed.

1 minute ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Conversely, of course, had the on-field 'soft' decision been Not Out, then that is how it would have (quite correctly in my opinion) stayed.

I mean its no different than LBW and umpires call when you see a big chunk of the ball inline but not all of it and the ball cannoning into middle stump. Its about trying to keep as much of the decision making on the pitch. If everything went to the third umpire you may as well just remove standing umpires and allow players to refer LBW shouts straight to hawkeye and wides to be called by third umpire with a buzzer.

27 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

It would have stayed.

As the commentary guys were saying that boundary catches are not helped much by zooming in as that can obscure the picture which is pretty much what happened with the Malan catch. One angle looked out the other as if the ball had touched the grass.

Bumble was spot on when he said the third umpire should review that type of catch in real time.