IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Pathetic from England not to try to chase this down 

Hmmm.

England's batting order contains five men under 25, one averaging more than 34, four on a pair, and is missing its two best attackers. What they should have done is simply breeze their way to a total of 273 in 75 overs against a top team who have dominated them since day 1.

18 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Hmmm.

England's batting order contains five men under 25, one averaging more than 34, four on a pair, and is missing its two best attackers. What they should have done is simply breeze their way to a total of 273 in 75 overs against a top team who have dominated them since day 1.

Weird reply as nobody has said they should have breezed to victory. Should have seen off the new ball and then gone for it for 20 overs and reacted thereafter depending on match situation. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Weird reply as nobody has said they should have breezed to victory. Should have seen off the new ball and then gone for it for 20 overs and reacted thereafter depending on match situation. 

No but it underlines the point that there isn't a lot of confidence in the batting unit. Clearly they were concerned that being overly expansive might see wickets go quickly and then they're hanging on with a lot of time left. Plus they're missing Stokes and Buttler, although I don't think Williamson would have been as generous with the declaration if they were there.

It's frustrating but I can understand why they didn't go for it more.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

No but it underlines the point that there isn't a lot of confidence in the batting unit. Clearly they were concerned that being overly expansive might see wickets go quickly and then they're hanging on with a lot of time left. Plus they're missing Stokes and Buttler, although I don't think Williamson would have been as generous with the declaration if they were there.

It's frustrating but I can understand why they didn't go for it more.

They didn’t go for it at all. I’m not saying Chuck the kitchen sink at it. Could have at least tried to get to around 120/2 off 30 overs and then seen if they can kick on.  If they then found themselves 70/3 then bat for time. 

If they don’t believe this batting line up can at least have a look for 90 mins then (a) dont pick it and (b) might as well not bother flying to Oz in 5 months 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

They didn’t go for it at all. I’m not saying Chuck the kitchen sink at it. Could have at least tried to get to around 120/2 off 30 overs and then seen if they can kick on.  If they then found themselves 70/3 then bat for time. 

If they don’t believe this batting line up can at least have a look for 90 mins then (a) dont pick it and (b) might as well not bother flying to Oz in 5 months 

Bang on. The Aussies will be rubbing their hands watching that insipid performance. Roots interview after was utter bollox. 

Oliver Dowden sticking his nose in now, doesn't appear to understand the concept of 'suspended pending an investigation' rather than just 'suspended'. Could be players like Moeen Ali, Haseeb Hameed and Adil Rashid have voiced concerns of a player in the dressing room whose posted stuff like that in the past. 

Personally would just say he gets fined x amount after his apology and perhaps a 1 game suspension tops to press the point home but no further action. Given before the Lords test he may have been rotated out of the Edgbaston team anyway in favour of Stone and Overton coming in 

30 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Oliver Dowden sticking his nose in now, doesn't appear to understand the concept of 'suspended pending an investigation' rather than just 'suspended'. Could be players like Moeen Ali, Haseeb Hameed and Adil Rashid have voiced concerns of a player in the dressing room whose posted stuff like that in the past. 

Something's afoot here because it's broadly in line with John Major's "condemn a little more, understand a little less" back to basics thing. This kid has done something wrong, it has just been discovered, he's been told to "say sorry," and he has reluctantly said "I'm sorry I've been caught," and he's been sent to his room.

At some point he will be allowed out of his room, and normal service will resume.

30 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Dowden has a point, I mean offensive comments from a person's past haven't proven to be a barrier to progressing in many high profile positions.

The current Prime Minister, for example.

Strange how it always takes a little longer to process suspensions or sackings in politics?

• Like 1

So everyone who objected to footballers taking the knee want to say politics should stay out of sport after Boris has agreed ECB went too far by suspending Robinson (pending review), the irony of Boris commenting on matters like this given his history of racist comments and how he rose to being PM regardless.

For those of you wondering what Robinson said, they’re attached to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/dafrankland/status/1400136689096572934?s=21

(Haven’t put the embedded tweet in case people get offended)

The tweets carry a relatively broad spectrum here. There are poor taste jokes, low level racism, sexism and a bit of islampaphobia.

I do go with the POV that you shouldn’t be hung based on what you did as a teenager. The problem is, and this is what Dowden and Johnson miss, is that we know of the tweets. We also know OR was sacked by Yorkshire. What the ECB are now doing is due diligence as to what else is out there with those two factors in mind with OR suspended pending the outcome and that seems a very sensible move. 

If this is what there ends up being, I think a suspension over a short term is appropriate. But for people to call the suspension pending results too heavy handed is pretty silly.

41 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Weirdly I kind of agree with a Tory minister. Wow. It's a way ott reaction as per usual but he will be back soon hopefully.

Its standard policy that someone is suspended while waiting the outcome of a review, how is it ott?

The fact that Boris has got involved in a debate over racist and sexist comments saying the ECB has gone too far is laughable given his history

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Its standard policy that someone is suspended while waiting the outcome of a review, how is it ott?

The fact that Boris has got involved in a debate over racist and sexist comments saying the ECB has gone too far is laughable given his history

Because the suspension clearly relates to those tweets which were written almost a decade ago when he was a teenager. Terrible tweets but its ott to back to it now - usual over reaction by media etc. If they are reviewing something else and looking into other tweets/social media then fair enough. However they should also have done their due diligence in advance - amateur stuff by ECB.

And yes I agree on the Boris thing being laughable - still think they are right in their thoughts on it even if they have a poor history.

6 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Because the suspension clearly relates to those tweets which were written almost a decade ago when he was a teenager. Terrible tweets but its ott to back to it now - usual over reaction by media etc. If they are reviewing something else and looking into other tweets/social media then fair enough. However they should also have done their due diligence in advance - amateur stuff by ECB.

And yes I agree on the Boris thing being laughable - still think they are right in their thoughts on it even if they have a poor history.

Firstly its the policy for dealing with situations like this, you can't just say yes we'll apply it here but no we won't apply it there

The teenager defence is a shit one, he was over 18 at the time and responsible for his actions, 18 year olds should know better than to be posting the sort of thing he was and he's a professional sportsman, sports players have known to be careful in the public eye for more than the last decade, its naive in the extreme as a bare minimum. 

Well its potentially something a bit more sinister than that given his county was Yorkshire who've developed a dark cloud for seemingly attempting to cover up racist incidents, could be Yorkshire sacked (I had always assumed he was just released at end of deal but no, sacked) him knowing full well what happened and decided it was easier to sack him than deal with it. The article put out around the time of his release seemed to indicate it was issues surrounding trust and responsibility regarding playing, claims that he would drive to Kent to see friends and leave at 1am to get back in time for training and matches. Its however notable that only 1 tweet from the list shown online occurred after his release from Yorkshire, that social media behaviour changed pretty rapidly even if his professional standards with regards to the game improved quickly. Also noted in the article, Ollie Robinson's step-dad? Paul Farbrace who at the time of Robinson's sacking from Yorkshire was working for England, sacked for 'performance' reasons rather than racist and sexist social media posting (from the son of an England coach) doesn't draw so many headlines.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/cricket/yorkshires-patience-snaps-over-breaches-discipline-leading-exit-robinson-1837446

46 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

The teenager defence is a shit one, he was over 18 at the time and responsible for his actions, 18 year olds should know better than to be posting the sort of thing he was and he's a professional sportsman, sports players have known to be careful in the public eye for more than the last decade, its naive in the extreme as a bare minimum. 

He was but we've all made mistakes at that age - I know I have anyway. There is plenty of stuff I did at 18 that I wouldn't have done at 28 or even 21 and I didn't fully understand things etc. I wouldn't expect my employer to now say you did x 20 years at 18 so we are suspending you (unless it was something crazy illegal etc). We all know its naive - there is no argument there and the social media thing these days means you can't get away with anything so you have to be even more careful. I personally don't think we should be looking back to what everyone wrote 10 years ago as a teenager with too much interest unless its clearly something he believes/thinks/acts that way now. 

Form his point of view, the reveal of those tweets couldn't have been worse with the 1st test in front of fans with cricket doing their equality thing before the match.

Didn't know about the Yorkshire thing but could be related.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He was but we've all made mistakes at that age - I know I have anyway. There is plenty of stuff I did at 18 that I wouldn't have done at 28 or even 21 and I didn't fully understand things etc. I wouldn't expect my employer to now say you did x 20 years at 18 so we are suspending you (unless it was something crazy illegal etc). We all know its naive - there is no argument there and the social media thing these days means you can't get away with anything so you have to be even more careful. I personally don't think we should be looking back to what everyone wrote 10 years ago as a teenager with too much interest unless its clearly something he believes/thinks/acts that way now. 

Form his point of view, the reveal of those tweets couldn't have been worse with the 1st test in front of fans with cricket doing their equality thing before the match.

Didn't know about the Yorkshire thing but could be related.

Completely agree 

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

It's amazing, does Boris think that getting involved in this will make him more popular. What's his record for standing up for other people in this position?

16 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Going to be one of the younger players if it was a tweet and they were under 16 at the time.

Yup can't be anyone over the age of 30 unless they literally posted it a couple of months after twitter was set up, factor time for it to get popular and gain members etc, you're probably looking under 27 at least

24 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Bets on who England cricketer #2 is? Craig is probably pretty high on the list

I doubt it (hope not).

COVE's 'indiscretion' was some years ago and, more importantly, was on-pitch and, thus, dealt with at the time.

Heaven forbid he had/has continued to post similar comments

16 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Going to be one of the younger players if it was a tweet and they were under 16 at the time.

If so, there comes a time, surely, when the 'cricket' authorities must say, 'OK, Come clean with what you have posted as a youngster and we shall deal with it - disclose it now and we shall try and help you'.

HEAVEN FORBID YOU SHOULD TRY AND HIDE IT, FOR WE SHALL FIND (BE INFORMED OF) IT AND YOUR INTERNATIONAL CAREER IS OVER.

Apologies for shouting, but, inadvertently, my caps lock was on and I am too tired to go and correct it.