IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

19 minutes ago, TomF said:

On basis that twitters mainstream popularity was around 2010-2012 and they're so say under 16 when tweeted it.. that must narrow it down to someone around 25-26 maybe? 

Not necessarily, could be the youngest member on the team but just tweeted it under 16 

Having said that did it say twitter or just social media content? Could be facebook or anything, get out someones myspace page 

Edited by Lrrr

2 hours ago, TomF said:

Wisden says its a tweet but the individual was under 16, so assuming its someone from the current test squad it realistically going to be someone around that age. I can't imagine many cricketers were on twitter much before 2010 but who knows. 

He's deactivated his twitter.. hmm 

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

Commenting on his Instagram posts has also been limited

I am not on, nor do I follow, social media, so would not be able to comment on your observations.

By a process of elimination, however, I believe there are only a few possible candidates, i.e. the 'culprit' has to be one of the younger members of the squad  - current or any time this past year - and, apparently, has only played a few Tests this year.

I do have two further observations, though.

1. There was some suggestion that the ECB powers that be were of the mind to send OR home after the close of play on the first evening, i.e. when his historic tweets first came to light. It would seem that, for whatever reason, they had a change of mind, perhaps because all players in that Test were white? I wonder what the outcome might have been were, for example, Moeen Ali or Adil Rashid in the squad. I have not mentioned Jofra Archer as I believe there was no racist tweet about black people, 'just' Muslims. 

2. My second observation is that DB has just been called up to the squad for the second Test as cover for Jack Leach. It will be interesting to see whether that changes over the course of the next few days, perhaps due to a niggling calf injury.

Of course, my ideal scenario would be that the culprit is somebody else,  both JL and DB play at Edgbaston and the latter takes a few wickets and scores a century....

One thing is for sure, peoples opinions change and life experiences will influence them over years of exposure. I am sure many of us of a certain age, and I include myself, are very happy there was no social media in the 70's and 80's when we were young, impressionable and surrounded by racism and sexism, with little or nothing to balance it out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

One thing is for sure, peoples opinions change and life experiences will influence them over years of exposure. I am sure many of us of a certain age, and I include myself, are very happy there was no social media in the 70's and 80's when we were young, impressionable and surrounded by racism and sexism, with little or nothing to balance it out.

Excellent point, absolutely right PSR. It’s vital that the ECB should take into consideration.

11 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Eoin Morgan, Jos Buttler, Jimmy Anderson.

Just read what the tweets were about don't think there's anything in them personally

Anderson commented (11 years ago) that Broad's new haircut looked like a 15 year old lesbian's haircut (culture at the time there was nothing wrong with comments like that)

Morgan and Buttler - Cricketers get masses of comments on social media from people on the sub-continent, Morgan and Buttler imitated their posting style, phrasing to have a joke with another player. I don't think you can say any of these hold up to Robinson's posting.

Interestingly saw the case of Hamza Choudhury and his tweets being dug up from when he was 15 a year or two ago, was given a £5000 fine so nothing for a footballer. On the basis Robinson was 18 when he posted his I'd very much agree that a punishment for Robinson should be a backdated 1 match suspension ie the Edgbaston test and a fine in the amount of 1 match pay for international cricket and move on.

Still on the Ollie Robinson story, this is a very good article by our friend, George Dobell.

Quite long, but I recommend reading it should you have a spare 5 minutes (depending on how fast you read).

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ollie-robinson-controversy-amnesty-may-offer-solution-as-english-cricket-catches-up-with-society-s-shifting-values-1265598

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

He averaged 41 in the first game which is only slightly behind his career test average? OK got out cheaply today but he isn't exactly in horrific form.

True, convinced he's allergic to batting 3, so I suppose four is only 10  mins later ATM.