IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

Firstly, I am a Somerset fan through and through - dating as far back as Bath and WSM festival weeks: does anybody on here remember walking up from the 'beach' to spend a lazy afternoon watching Fred Rumsey or even Bill Alley?

I understand the piss-taking of young James Bracey, but bear in mind he is a young man and, I would imagine, extremely embarrassed at his batting performances in his first two Tests. 

Give the lad a break and just hope that he scores well in the second innings, but is out for a duck when he next plays against Somerset and drops a few catches/misses a few easy stumpings.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Firstly, I am a Somerset fan through and through - dating as far back as Bath and WSM festival weeks: does anybody on here remember walking up from the 'beach' to spend a lazy afternoon watching Fred Rumsey or even Bill Alley?

I understand the piss-taking of young James Bracey, but bear in mind he is a young man and, I would imagine, extremely embarrassed at his batting performances in his first two Tests. 

Give the lad a break and just hope that he scores well in the second innings, but is out for a duck when he next plays against Somerset and drops a few catches/misses a few easy stumpings.

Exactly right.

I can’t remember who it was but one of England’s top batsman started his test career with a pair. It might have been Graeme Gooch - they just mentioned that on Points West!

Edited by Robbored

Thing for Bracey is he won’t be playing v India with Buttler and Bairstow available so he’s got 1 innings to frankly save a future test career, well for the next few years at least. If he doesn’t get a start he’ll have 2 ducks and a low score and England will probably look elsewhere. 

This England batting line up looks the most fragile I’ve seen it in a long time. I think Bracey is heading the same way as Mike Smith - although Smudger had either Hayden or Langer dropped at slip early doors en route to a big ton if I remember correctly? Never got a look in again - grossly unfair IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Root can bowl spin. He’s often underestimated by opposition batsman.

But he underbowls himself, he won’t keep himself on for 10/15 overs to hold up an end and it forces the seam bowlers to be used more often from each end 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:I think Bracey is heading the same way as Mike Smith - although Smudger had either Hayden or Langer dropped at slip early doors en route to a big ton if I remember correctly? Never got a look in again - grossly unfair IMO. 

Matthew Elliott was the batsman Thorpe dropped off Mike Smith.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lrrr said:

No runs second innings and Crawley needs to be sent back to county cricket for a while, Bracey can have a run at 3 even if a keeper comes back in or Lawrence. 

I wouldn't have too much faith in Bracey at 3 for England. Not sure whether it's his usual look, but he doesn't exude confidence at all, either behind the stumps or with the bat in his hand.

33 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

This England batting line up looks the most fragile I’ve seen it in a long time. I think Bracey is heading the same way as Mike Smith - although Smudger had either Hayden or Langer dropped at slip early doors en route to a big ton if I remember correctly? Never got a look in again - grossly unfair IMO. 

It was a carve up, everybody (who matters) knew that, Atherton didn't want him, and made sure everyone in the team knew it!   Funny how, if your life depended on it, you would choose Thorpe to trouser a catch at slip, safest hands in the business ? He drops a dolly .  Very strange .

8 hours ago, TomF said:

Root bowling himself on the afternoon session on day 2.  Yeah we didn't get the bowling line up right yet again did we? 

The Lawrence wicket proved that, part time spinner being able to pick up a bat pad on day 2

• Like 1