IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

Classic Alec 'Surrey' Stewart on the debate criticises Bairstow being called back into the squad (fair) over Foakes but he uses the fact that JB has averaged 18 over the last 12 months but then quoted Foakes' test average (44 ish?) rather than Foakes' 1st class average in the last 12 months which is 26, so why would Foakes deserve a space in the team either?

Starting to think Tom Abell could be in with a shout next summer #3 if Denly doesn't push on or moves up to open if Sibley drops out

16 hours ago, hodge said:

Classic Alec 'Surrey' Stewart on the debate criticises Bairstow being called back into the squad (fair) over Foakes but he uses the fact that JB has averaged 18 over the last 12 months but then quoted Foakes' test average (44 ish?) rather than Foakes' 1st class average in the last 12 months which is 26, so why would Foakes deserve a space in the team either?

Starting to think Tom Abell could be in with a shout next summer #3 if Denly doesn't push on or moves up to open if Sibley drops out

According to Stewart someone has to sit down with Ali and persuade him to return to test cricket even if he doesn't want to. He seems to rate him as highly as Shane Warne with the batting skills of our Viv. 

Funny really as Root couldn't. Trust him to tie an end up. 

20 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

According to Stewart someone has to sit down with Ali and persuade him to return to test cricket even if he doesn't want to. He seems to rate him as highly as Shane Warne with the batting skills of our Viv. 

Funny really as Root couldn't. Trust him to tie an end up. 

As one of them said its the classic you become better when you're out the team 

1 minute ago, TomF said:

They did say average first day score is something like 270/8 - I don’t think it was a bad knock 

It wasn’t really but I think the manner of dismissals were so tame and the scores so average across the board that they rather conveyed that message. That said the make up of the batting lineup is so new and untested that 270 wasn’t a disaster.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TomF said:

It genuinely scares me when Jimmy and Broad retire. We won’t appreciate the sheer class they are till there gone in some ways 

Going to be interesting what happens with them in the next few years and how long they can go on for. Surely neither will be in the next ashes?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TomF said:

It genuinely scares me when Jimmy and Broad retire. We won’t appreciate the sheer class they are till there gone in some ways 

Indeed - they’re blessed with natural ability and with vast experience of test match cricket and as we saw today very capable of bowling at the highest level.

Had Archer been fit today one of them would missed out - glad I’m not England captain!