IGNORED

Safe Standing (merged)

Kodjias Wrist

So can't see anything on here regarding it for over a year now. Thought I would show this article about Argyles attempt to have safe standing implemented into the corners of thr stadium.

http://m.devonlive.com/plymouth-argyle-reveal-plans-to-bring-safe-standing-to-home-park/story-30364613-detail/story.html

I seen on the old plans that we had scope to introduce standing into the bottom tier of Dolman and South Stand. Anybody know the facts on this one?

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

So can't see anything on here regarding it for over a year now. Thought I would show this article about Argyles attempt to have safe standing implemented into the corners of thr stadium.

http://m.devonlive.com/plymouth-argyle-reveal-plans-to-bring-safe-standing-to-home-park/story-30364613-detail/story.html

I seen on the old plans that we had scope to introduce standing into the bottom tier of Dolman and South Stand. Anybody know the facts on this one?

Until the laws change it can't happen, fair play to Argyle; now (during an election) is the best time to be brining this up.

• SC&T Board Members

Correct. It can't happen until the way in which the law is applied is changed.

It's good that Pymouth have become yet another club showing a concrete wish to install rail seating for safe standing as soon as it is allowed. The more clubs that show they are seriously looking to do this, the sooner the government will let them.

City remain keen, as far as I know. But could be a bit more public about their position.

In the EPL, both Spurs and Chelsea have made it known that their new stadia / redevelopments have been designed with rail seating in mind.

On 04/06/2017 at 11:04, Blagdon red said:

Correct. It can't happen until the way in which the law is applied is changed.

It's good that Pymouth have become yet another club showing a concrete wish to install rail seating for safe standing as soon as it is allowed. The more clubs that show they are seriously looking to do this, the sooner the government will let them.

City remain keen, as far as I know. But could be a bit more public about their position.

In the EPL, both Spurs and Chelsea have made it known that their new stadia / redevelopments have been designed with rail seating in mind.

Haven't we also made it known that oir already redeveloped stadium has been designed to incorporate rail seating when it is allowed? 

I certainly remember hearing loads of quotes about this. 

• SC&T Board Members
6 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Haven't we also made it known that oir already redeveloped stadium has been designed to incorporate rail seating when it is allowed? 

I certainly remember hearing loads of quotes about this. 

Yes, the front of the Dolman and back of the South Stand were designed with rail seating in mind.

6 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

It could improve the atmosphere significantly so I hope so. Adds more to the capacity as well so win.

Unlikely to add more to the capacity I'd have thought.  The seat is still required, you're essentially just allowed to stand in front of it is my understanding.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Unlikely to add more to the capacity I'd have thought.  The seat is still required, you're essentially just allowed to stand in front of it is my understanding.

To start with, most likely.

Potentially a safe standing area can accommodate twice as many fans as a seated area.

• SC&T Board Members
1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

To start with, most likely.

Potentially a safe standing area can accommodate twice as many fans as a seated area.

Correct, IF UK regs allow (which they may or may not) and IF the vomitories and concourse dimensions are adequate for an increased capacity. Spurs, for instance, have made their vomitories etc. large enough in their South Stand to cope with increased numbers. I don't believe City's architects had such foresight. For City, it could therefore be a challenge in that regard to increase the capacity, even if regs permit it in due course.

57 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

Correct, IF UK regs allow (which they may or may not) and IF the vomitories and concourse dimensions are adequate for an increased capacity. Spurs, for instance, have made their vomitories etc. large enough in their South Stand to cope with increased numbers. I don't believe City's architects had such foresight. For City, it could therefore be a challenge in that regard to increase the capacity, even if regs permit it in due course.

I personally think the vomitories aren't in a great place in the South Stand, and that the club would do well to consider some kind of staircase/exits at the back of the stand. Providing they can make it all look aesthetically pleasing.

WBA have announced they are prepared to trial Safe Standing on one side of The Hawthorns for the Premiership. :clapping: Prem bosses have announced in turn they will now consult all twenty Prem teams regarding their views to Safe Standing. If they wish to go ahead with this, a change in legislation will be required.:grr:

Any chance of fans, ie paying spectators, being consulted? :fingerscrossed:

• SC&T Board Members

Like us, even the Prem won't be able to go ahead until the government let them.

It is good, however, that the EPL are now finally asking their clubs for their views (4 years after the EFL did) and that clubs like WBA are responding by making it known that they would happily act as a pilot site if the Prem can get the go-ahead from Westminster.

Another positive step in the right direction. But not over the line yet.

My suspicion is that it won't happen anytime soon, if at all.

I hope I am wrong- this is doubtless a positive step!

But my instincts tell me that CCTV + All seaters equals Perfect system for police and similar to monitor and pick out any troublemakers.

While this is the case, there will be no great push for a change in the law IMO. I remember these debates 10, even vaguely 15 years ago yet here we still are.

Sure it was even in late 90s also (an article from 98 references it, will see if I can find it online).

Given the new interest in safe standing with the like of Notts County applying for it, would we be in a good position to apply for the lower Dolman and the new S82 corner? Given sight lines etc, those areas could be converted without affecting anyone elses' view.

• SC&T Board Members

You mean Shrewsbury, I believe.

As for City, there is no process by which they can currently apply to install rail seating. They could however, IMHO, make their support for this somewhat more public and current.

• SC&T Board Members

Ours was a demo. Theirs is real.

They're allowed to. We're not.

We've been too good on the field over the last 25 years (yeah, really), so that what is deemed safe in their ground is deemed unsafe in ours.

12 minutes ago, Blagdon red said:

As for City, there is no process by which they can currently apply to install rail seating. They could however, IMHO, make their support for this somewhat more public and current.

I do mean the Shrews, my bad. 

Out of interest Blagdon, why is it that they can apply with a completely new stadium and we cannot?

Thanks.

15 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

Absolutely. Both City and the Rugby should be backing every single encouraging sign and perhaps a bit of public lobbying too.

15 hours ago, Blagdon red said:

Ours was a demo. Theirs is real.

They're allowed to. We're not.

We've been too good on the field over the last 25 years (yeah, really), so that what is deemed safe in their ground is deemed unsafe in ours.

This always makes me laugh. The law is a complete nonsense, but no politician has the balls or desire to change. it.

15 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

I do mean the Shrews, my bad. 

Out of interest Blagdon, why is it that they can apply with a completely new stadium and we cannot?

Thanks.

I believe it is because they haven't played in the top two tiers since 1989 or whenever the law came in about standing areas at football.

2 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I believe it is because they haven't played in the top two tiers since 1989 or whenever the law came in about standing areas at football.

So, as things stand and thanks for the reply, just Brentford and Burton could apply from the top 2 divisions as they still have terracing? As Brentford are moving, that could stop them as well I guess?

All the rest of us can do is express an interest?

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

So, as things stand and thanks for the reply, just Brentford and Burton could apply from the top 2 divisions as they still have terracing? As Brentford are moving, that could stop them as well I guess?

Brentford are allowed to keep their standing areas for longer as their move will be all seater so have been given special dispensation. If they installed rail seats then the powers that be would argue that they could afford normal seats to replace their terracing so it would be rejected imo. Burton could install it but would have to get rid of it in two seasons time provided they stay in the Championship. As they have perfectly safe, normal terracing, this would be a backwards step for them anyway. 

dortmund13.jpg

Standing does not kill, overcrowding does. Geographical location, sporting division or different sports do not make standing more or less safe. Another reason football fans are shafted and there is no reason why terraces like the above should not be legal.  

Archived