IGNORED

Tony Adams Book

Tinmans Love Child

1 hour ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

If you are looking for a holiday read get involved with Tony Adams new book 'Sober', a great read, very thought provoking and also City have had 4 brief mentions already!  

He didn't say a random woman came up to him in a service station did he ( we were on the way to play Derby), and did this woman tell him she thought his book was good. Did he say that he said to the woman that it was written a while ago and much has happened since and perhaps he should update it. Did he say this woman told him he should do just that?

No? Oh I'm not responsible fir his book then :sad26:

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

If you are looking for a holiday read get involved with Tony Adams new book 'Sober', a great read, very thought provoking and also City have had 4 brief mentions already!  

Let's guess. Under Danny Wilson, I hear Bristol city were a fine drinking outfit..

I once recall an all-nighter (or don't, very well)  with Lee Peacock and ...

um

2 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Let's guess. Under Danny Wilson, I hear Bristol city were a fine drinking outfit..

I once recall an all-nighter (or don't, very well)  with Lee Peacock and ...

um

I wish I'd gone out with Jacki,  I heard he liked a beer:drunk2:

3 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

His discription of his last ever bender is the first chapter, unbelievable 

I wanna know a few things...

Is there an audiobook version going

is HE reading it

and thirdly, is he sober whilst reading it???

If the answer is yes, yes and no, i'm buying it.

To think he hadn't come into recovery by the time of Euro 96 is mind-boggling.  

I read his first book 'Addicted' and he was talking about how he used to play pissed.  

Undercover alcoholism in the work place is not at all unheard of but he was doing it in front of the gaze of thousands and thousands.  

1 hour ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

To think he hadn't come into recovery by the time of Euro 96 is mind-boggling.  

I read his first book 'Addicted' and he was talking about how he used to play pissed.  

Undercover alcoholism in the work place is not at all unheard of but he was doing it in front of the gaze of thousands and thousands.  

It is amazing that no-one spots it isn`t it? Our very own Christian Roberts being a case in point.

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

It is amazing that no-one spots it isn`t it? Our very own Christian Roberts being a case in point.

And if youve not read his book youre missing out. Loved every minute of it... others ive enjoyed include Keith Gillespie, Paul Merson and surprisingly Colins & Simon Jordans...

On 27/06/2017 at 21:44, Red Right Hand said:

Addiction can make people highly dishonest and manipulative.  

High functionality can coincide relatively comfortably for some.  Brian Clough and possibly even Fergie spring to mind.

It is amazing what can be achieved by some, certainly.  It's the same set of extreme characteristics that lead to both the flaws and the genius.

On 27/06/2017 at 23:43, forbespm said:

I,'ve met the man and thanked him for inspiring me to kick my addiction to alcohol into touch.

Hell of a nice bloke,and very complimentary about city.

I can vouch for this.

On the day of the Champions League final last month I got a the train from Paddington down to Bristol, and he's only sat over the aisle from me in cattle class. This girl who, later turns out to be a well spoken Bath Uni student, ends up sat next to him, directly to my right. I think he struck up conversation very politely over if he was taking up too much space, but what followed (and I'm not ashamed to say, hungover, that I earwigged because it was so remarkable) was twenty minutes that would restore your faith in professional footballers.

He has this long and very articulate conversation with her about what he does without ever once mentioning football. "Work for a Chinese conglomerate with interests in many industries" "Been based in China but recently also Granada in Spain". This girl even at one point mentions her parents live in "Finsbury Park, North London" and I thought, he's going to say now, but no, he just explains in a "prior job" he used to have a family home in West Hampstead, nearby. They go on to discuss what his kids are studying and what she's studying.

In an era of the big "I am" and footballers whose every minute is spent clinging onto social media adulation or expressing themselves through pictures of greater and greater opulence and ridiculous cars they've bought or plan to buy, here's an ex-England international who captained his team repeatedly to win the league, both cups, the European Cup Winners Cup, and is a 500+game one-club legend... travelling quietly on the train, and telling someone, only after much pressing, that at best, he's taken up writing and is attending a book festival.

And with that, he got off at Swindon, explaining he was spending the day at his cottage in the Cotswolds. He wasn't even going to the Champions League final. If ever there was someone who has "got their sh** together", it is Tony Adams. Incredibly humble and down to earth. Afterwards I asked the girl if she knew who she'd been speaking to, and she said she didn't know but guessed he probably ran a construction company or was a teacher. When I told her she said there was no way he was a footballer. Stereotype completely busted.

Great story, Ole

A bloke I work with knows him socially through friends, speaks very highly of him

As for not giving away that he's a footballer, I suspect he's glad that there are people out there who don't recognise him. Everyone with an interest in football knows his story, must be great for him to have a random chat with a random person who knows nothing

On 27/06/2017 at 21:44, Red Right Hand said:

Another good book. Recommended if you get the chance. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Game-Inches-Christian-Roberts-x/dp/190409144X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1498811380&sr=1-1&keywords=christian+roberts+football

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

And yes, that is a great story @Olé fair play 

Many alcoholics become sober and learnt how to stay off alcohol. Tony Adams is just one of many to maintain recovery.

He, like many others know that one alcoholic drink will send them back to where they were when drinking. 

I know many recovering alcoholics and some see themselves as allergic to alcohol which is pretty accurate assessment. Without it they're normal people who can achieve pretty much anything when sober but just one alcoholic drink will return their, and their families lives to chaos .

Im not sure whether Adams attends AA but whenever I hear him talk he certainly knows the AA speak.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Many alcoholics become sober and learnt how to stay off alcohol. Tony Adams is just one of many to maintain recovery.

He, like many others know that one alcoholic drink will send them back to where they were when drinking. 

I know many recovering alcoholics and some see themselves as allergic to alcohol which is pretty accurate assessment. Without it they're normal people who can achieve pretty much anything when sober but just one alcoholic drink will return their, and their families lives to chaos .

Im not sure whether Adams attends AA but whenever I hear him talk he certainly knows the AA speak.

Yes he does attend aa. What it demonstrates is that alcohol is no respector of age,colour or profession.it's an equal opportunities destroyer.the unemployed will sit in an aa meeting alongside a litter picker,an ex England footballer and famous actors.all talking the same language.

That's why it works imo.Britain has a massive culture regarding alcohol so much so that people think your odd if you don't drink and question you about it 

At the end of the day it's a drug the same as any other drug but it's so ingrained in our culture and socially acceptable.

Nobody asks me why I don't smoke or don't I smoke at Christmas?not even one!etc.

Its the only drug you have to justify not taking.

Good to hear all the good stories about Tony Adams; great admirer of him as a footballer Arsenal being my second team since i drew the 'correct' straw at aged 3; my brother drew Leeds.. poor bar steward. Anyway there is a family connection and reason aside from that as it happens.

I would love Tony to be a success at Granada; I hope he has bettered his skills since Wycombe. I hope I am utterly wrong but can see it not lasting too long for him in Spain, in that position. Nevertheless, good luck to him.

Archived