IGNORED

Grayson on his way? Now confirmed as Sunderland Manager

ROSEBUD RED

7 minutes ago, Super said:

TBH he has probably taken Preston as far as he can. Sunderland despite being in a mess are still a big club.

That was my first thought, but Preston have been knocking on the door last couple of seasons. They'll be the same as us in thinking if Swansea, Burnley, Bournemouth etc can do it, why can't we

Sunderland will be a massive payrise, and probably a decent play off when he's sacked after 10 games because they aren't either

• Top of the league with 31 points
  • Or 6 points adrift at the bottom

He'd be mad to go there. Another good season at PNE and he will get a better offer

Just now, Woodsy said:

That was my first thought, but Preston have been knocking on the door last couple of seasons. They'll be the same as us in thinking if Swansea, Burnley, Bournemouth etc can do it, why can't we

Sunderland will be a massive payrise, and probably a decent play off when he's sacked after 10 games because they aren't either

He'd be mad to go there. Another good season at PNE and he will get a better offer

Not so sure he will he ever get a bigger club than Sunderland in for him. He has the potential with Sunderland to manage in the Prem not sure he has that at PNE.

19 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Have to be a brave man to head to Sunderland at the moment!

You want your manager to be brave.

If he takes the job it's because he believes in himself and is ambitious.

More qualities you want in your manager.

11 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

But he'll get a massive payoff and his good work at Preston will ensure he'll got another job at a middling championship club in no time.  Sunderland is a free hit.

17 minutes ago, Super said:

Not so sure he will he ever get a bigger club than Sunderland in for him. He has the potential with Sunderland to manage in the Prem not sure he has that at PNE.

Are they a big club though? Well supported, but BIG? Not for me, certainly under the current owners

8 minutes ago, Malago said:

But he'll get a massive payoff and his good work at Preston will ensure he'll got another job at a middling championship club in no time.  Sunderland is a free hit.

You could say the same about Moyes...no one will touch him with a barge pole after a free hit, or two

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Opens the way for David Moyes to return to Preston, you'd think..?

Talk of the Devil. Would his ego allow him to go back? I think he thinks he's a top level manager. Many would disagree

22 minutes ago, daored said:

Totally agree, spent time in his company on nights out.

Sunderland, good club, wrong time 

Depends how you define good club I suppose. Well supported certainly but exceptionally badly run and with a reportedly rotten culture. Is there any guarantee that whoever takes ownership of the club will keep Grayson I wonder?

l

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Are they a big club though? Well supported, but BIG? Not for me, certainly under the current owners

You could say the same about Moyes...no one will touch him with a barge pole after a free hit, or two

Talk of the Devil. Would his ego allow him to go back? I think he thinks he's a top level manager. Many would disagree

Good question. Who knows..?

After a couple of High profile failures since a steady if not spectacular period at Everton, I think a Chapionship job at a familiar club, where he is liked & respected, could be just the tonic he needs. 

He may feel he's worthy of holding out for a premiership job to come up, or may fancy an overseas job, but I doubt he'll get the "top" jobs again and I'd think he'd want to avoid the relegation battle teams. 

Having said that, there is nothing saying that Preston won't find themselves in one of those, having arguably over achieved during the last couple of seasons. 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Good question. Who knows..?

After a couple of High profile failures since a steady if not spectacular period at Everton, I think a Chapionship job at a familiar club, where he is liked & respected, could be just the tonic he needs. 

He may feel he's worthy of holding out for a premiership job to come up, or may fancy an overseas job, but I doubt he'll get the "top" jobs again and I'd think he'd want to avoid the relegation battle teams. 

Having said that, there is nothing saying that Preston won't find themselves in one of those, having arguably over achieved during the last couple of seasons. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Moyes go back and prove himself. Preston are always one of those teams where you think it could all go wrong at any minute, they don't spend a lot (and fair play to them for that), but only so long cheap / free transfers tend to do well for. Wrong club / wrong time for DM, I suspect

1 minute ago, SuperDziek said:

Would you want a manager in charge of your club with a barnet like Grayson's?  Just shave it all off, man.

Ha, thought the same myself. It's shocking. He needs to join the cool club, once it's off and you're used to it it's great. I said to my daughters the other day I don't miss my hair, and I wouldn't go back. They (rather cruelly!) pointed out that the choice of whether I would go back has been snatched away from me. I don't know where they get it from.....

Just now, Woodsy said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Moyes go back and prove himself. Preston are always one of those teams where you think it could all go wrong at any minute, they don't spend a lot (and fair play to them for that), but only so long cheap / free transfers tend to do well for. Wrong club / wrong time for DM, I suspect

Ha, thought the same myself. It's shocking. He needs to join the cool club, once it's off and you're used to it it's great. I said to my daughters the other day I don't miss my hair, and I wouldn't go back. They (rather cruelly!) pointed out that the choice of whether I would go back has been snatched away from me. I don't know where they get it from.....

You've got a similar (lack of) hairstyle to me then. My eldest daughter loves pointing out that "....daddy, you haven't got any hair...".  Kids say the cruelest things!

Just now, SuperDziek said:

You've got a similar (lack of) hairstyle to me then. My eldest daughter loves pointing out that "....daddy, you haven't got any hair...".  Kids say the cruelest things!

Ha, my 4 year old loves pointing it out! I've told her it will happen to her if she has 3 daughters too.....her face was a picture. Payback :yawn:

36 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

Easily countered with "true, but you haven't got any pocket money, food or duvet!" 

I think its fair to say Simon will be leaving us for Sunderland and he goes with a heavy heart from  my perspective but wishing him all the luck in the world as it will be a huge financial increase in salary I would suspect , more local to his family and a budget that we will not have in my life time , he has been a wonderful ambassador for us for over 4 years and has done a superb job building a future for the next incumbant and has assembled a decent championship side on a very modest budget - maybe he felt he could take us no further and had over achieved and I think that he may have been right only time will tell , the club is run well and I suspect they have known for a good week or so that Simon was likely to move on and do think the owners will find ' the right fit ' for a club with our budget and restraints. Grayson will be fondly remembered by the majority of Preston fans and even the football was getting better ! ,  thanks for the four years Simon and I hope he gets his Premiership chance in due course - Mortis 

3 minutes ago, Mortis said:

I think its fair to say Simon will be leaving us for Sunderland and he goes with a heavy heart from  my perspective but wishing him all the luck in the world as it will be a huge financial increase in salary I would suspect , more local to his family and a budget that we will not have in my life time , he has been a wonderful ambassador for us for over 4 years and has done a superb job building a future for the next incumbant and has assembled a decent championship side on a very modest budget - maybe he felt he could take us no further and had over achieved and I think that he may have been right only time will tell , the club is run well and I suspect they have known for a good week or so that Simon was likely to move on and do think the owners will find ' the right fit ' for a club with our budget and restraints. Grayson will be fondly remembered by the majority of Preston fans and even the football was getting better ! ,  thanks for the four years Simon and I hope he gets his Premiership chance in due course - Mortis 

Do you lot want Moyesy back? Dopey Darrell across town? Or maybe a job for Cotts?

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Depends how you define good club I suppose. Well supported certainly but exceptionally badly run and with a reportedly rotten culture. Is there any guarantee that whoever takes ownership of the club will keep Grayson I wonder?

l

They're certainly a big club with potential, several bad years, and the owner Short hasn't helped or appeared interested. Whoever takes over if they get it right, with support from above, would be a good move. Agree there is also a lot wrong right now,

16 minutes ago, Mortis said:

I'm not sure Mortis. The ownership issue, in that the current owner is trying to sell the club, would and has put people off. Grayson's no fool and knows he's secure at your place.

I would like to see him stay and have a feeling he will. Whether your support can forgive him for this is another matter but I'm not so sure he's headed for Wearside.

Archived