IGNORED

Engvall

GrahamC

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Being reported in the Swedish media this morning that despite what was said about him going to Tenerife with us he is now staying in Sweden until the end of their season (March).

I guess the signing of Diedhiou may have something to do with this, but you really get the impression he isn't ever coming back.

Who?

5 minutes ago, cynic said:

1.3m up front which was, on the face of it given his background, a steal in this current market.

People in this thread are obsessed with the money paid as if it were their own.

As for the player, he may well get his chance up top with Diedhiou if he shows up good enough in training. You can do all the background preparation you want, but with a kid from overseas you will never know exactly what you have until he gets here and starts training. It was a fully understandable transfer and, on the face of it, a good value one as well.

He should be full of confidence and if he turns out to be ok then all well and good, if he goes then I would think the club will get their money back - not that I would be at all bothered if they didn't as it aint my money.

Well put. When I saw him come on as sub against a strong Hull City team he showed promise. Given time and opportunity I think he could be a very good signing - I hope he gets it with us or another loan.

16 minutes ago, cynic said:

1.3m up front which was, on the face of it given his background, a steal in this current market.

People in this thread are obsessed with the money paid as if it were their own

Exactly Cynic. Mistakes happen in the transfer market. IF management believe Engvall is a dud then get rid & move on....

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

He wasn't scouted by uncle Pete was he?.

Like Basso, McAllister, Fontaine, McCombe, Elliott, Sproule, McIndoe, Adebola, Byfield, Maynard, Carle, Noble, Gerken, Hartley, Showunmi, Jevons, Weale or Henderson you mean?

No, he wasn't.

All the article says is that he could return to Djurgarden after Teneriffe (Djurgårdens opinion).

If recalled for Teneriffe he would miss two league games (or a single game if he can play on Sunday the 16th of July). As I see it we put pressure on Djurgarden to agree on a deal before Teneriffe.

I guess we will get £750,000.

https://www.fotbollskanalen.se/allsvenskan/officiellt-engvall-kallas-tillbaka-av-bristol---men-kan-atervanda-till-dif/

3 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

All the article says is that he could return to Djurgarden after Teneriffe (Djurgårdens opinion).

If recalled for Teneriffe he would miss two league games. As I see it we put pressure on Djurgarden to agree on a deal before Teneriffe.

I guess we will get £750,000.

https://www.fotbollskanalen.se/allsvenskan/officiellt-engvall-kallas-tillbaka-av-bristol---men-kan-atervanda-till-dif/

Thanks. The one I saw (bloody useless with links) was on a Swedish Twitter site called Eurotalk, looking at their other posts, all of which were confirmed transfers, it seems legit.

54 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

A lot of hot air on this thread that is based on a tenuous rumour. Let's wait and see who gets on the plane to Tenerife.

,,,and who comes back!

People again reacting negatively to a situation that hasn't even happened.

Out of the grand scheme of things I for one think we've recruited well.

That includes Engvall who we should at worst gain 75% of what we paid if things don't work out here.

I actually think he may still have a future with us.

3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Lets hope the new record signing gets more game time, can only say why bring Engvall here if you aint going to give him a chance, good enough for Sweden but not us :dunno: 

Engvall could have saved us 5million pounds ...if he had been given a chance, seems like we will never know.

we will if he bangs them in somewhere else.

Even taking a punt on a player is expensive these days.

The going rate for a player with Championship experience is £10m+.

We were lucky to get Taylor as cheaply as we did. Rovers had been talking about millions for a player who was in non-league a couple of years back.

We don't know what's going on with Engvall. I hope he has a role to play at City but even if he doesn't I don't see how it's a waste of money rather than an unfortunate outcome. £1-2m for a striker moving to a Championship club is about as cheap as it gets.

Yes there are free transfers but they tend to be older players on bigger wages, much bigger than for a 20 year old from abroad, and that's money that the club has no hope of getting back (unless he's *really* keen on buying official merchandise!).

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not so sure Major. If we sell Engvall now LJ is sending out the clear message that he doesn't rate him highly enough to give him a real chance in the Championship.

If he's only been assessed as L1 level here it's bound to affect the price we can expect, especially if his only suitors are back in Sweden.

Looks like we'll be cutting our losses, but yes, always the chance a good sell on clause could get us back our original outlay eventually.

I don't think the message is that LJ doesn't think he's good enough for the Championship.

It , admittedly, could look that way but we don't know the real reasons why à transfer doesn't work out and many clubs will quite happily take the player on .

Seems to me that this is young guy who was not just changing clubs, or moving to a new town/city, but to a brand new country. If I remember correctly the signing photos showed him with his girlfriend, who was going to or was already at Uni ( presumably in Sweden).

Given all of those factors, it would be understandable if he found it difficult to settle and that this might have affected him personally and in terms of his performance day to day, not just on match days. 

If so, then the loan back to Sweden could have been to get him back on track and restore some confidence ( if it had been knocked back by not playing regularly). It could be that the loan might have just reinforced that it was the wrong choice for him to make the move away from Sweden in the first place, and if this is the case than at least we and the player will know and can look for a permanent transfer back there and cut our losses.

Alternatively he might come back ready to adapt better to being in Bristol and competing for a place with us, but able to do so mentally better equipped to deal with it than he perhaps was a year ago.

Of course that could all be a load of rubbish and in fact it's all LJ's fault! :)

I'm disappointed but not surprised at the number of people writing him off.  It's a shame so many people take everything Wes Burns' dad says as gospel.

I sincerely hope that a player we've spent millions on gets a decent run in the first team to show what he can do.  For all LJ and Ashton talk about doing their homework if we don't see Engvall get that chance they've failed miserably.  It's ok to take a £50k punt on a young player, it's not ok to take a £2m punt.  Not until we're in the Prem anyway.

Well I for one rate the guy. He has pace and good movement. Thought he did well against Hull last season. Lets get him back and involved as soon as the rest do. He should be fitter than most. Get him playing in the friendlies against the iikes of Bath, Cheltenham etc and let him get some goals and boost his confidence. But let him start games. Johnson needs to put his arm round his shoulder (well his waist) and tell him he can succeed.

In a world where Huddersfield just spent 12m or so on a guy that's had his best seasons in Australia and one good one in the championship and Bournemouth have spent 20m on a Chelsea bit part player, I don't get why people get all fussy over Engvall. LJ has a job to do. SL tells him what and how he wants things done. Maybe LJ would've preferred a 25-26 year old last year but SL said no. We don't know but we do know SL wants resale value. Ok Engvall may not work out but that is the risk the club took and they were ok with it. We should be too. Many of you need to stop thinking 1.5m is a lot of money for us. It isn't. 5 years ago he would've cost 500k but today we have to pay more because everyone knows England has money to burn. You win some you lose some and lately I think we've done more good than bad in the transfer market. If sold well get half back. 750k loss is like selling bobby Reid it's isn't too much harm. 

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

LJ has the final say on all signings.

SL/MA- "hey LJ, there is this 21 year old Swedish under 21 international striker available and interested in coming here. He's played once for Sweden at full international level, but they only had enough players for a 5-a-side game on that occasion, so don't let that cloud your judgement. 

He's only 20, so probably one for the future. We can and are happy to sign him up for £1.3million rising to £2million based on how he does. 

We think he's worth a punt and we need a Striker as our top scorer is about to leave. If he isn't going to get in the team for a season or two, then we can always loan him out to get game time"

LJ- yeah go on then, sounds promising. Cheers. 

1 year later......

LJ- "hey Gustav, sorry you didn't get any games last season. I'm sure you understand that we had the best striker outside the premiership here. I think you'll agree that you aren't quite ready to be first choice here yet. I'm glad your loan spell has been going well & would like you to join us for training in Tenerife so we can take a good look at your progress.

If we agree that you still need experience & games to develop and I can't promise you this, then we can extend or look at another loan for you for next season and then decide on what's best for your future after that"

OTIB- "panic, moan, bitch & criticise" 

15 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

In a world where Huddersfield just spent 12m or so on a guy that's had his best seasons in Australia and one good one in the championship and Bournemouth have spent 20m on a Chelsea bit part player, I don't get why people get all fussy over Engvall. LJ has a job to do. SL tells him what and how he wants things done. Maybe LJ would've preferred a 25-26 year old last year but SL said no. We don't know but we do know SL wants resale value. Ok Engvall may not work out but that is the risk the club took and they were ok with it. We should be too. Many of you need to stop thinking 1.5m is a lot of money for us. It isn't. 5 years ago he would've cost 500k but today we have to pay more because everyone knows England has money to burn. You win some you lose some and lately I think we've done more good than bad in the transfer market. If sold well get half back. 750k loss is like selling bobby Reid it's isn't too much harm. 

£2m is a lot of money for us make no mistake.  We were only able to blow a lot of cash last time around because of money coming in from Kodjia and Bolasie, we can't afford to speculate at the £2m level not because SL hasn't got the cash but because he won't be allowed to spend it due to FFP.  The stadium has added some income but not enough to be blasé about seven figure sums - if Engvall is so far away that LJ won't give him a chance then a major bollock has been dropped which impacts resources available to the first team significantly.

Just now, Red Right Hand said:

It`s going to take a while for a lot of fans to realise (not just City ones either) that £1.3m is peanuts in the championship these days. I reckon it`s the equivalent of about £150k in league 1.

I also don't understand why fans (ours inparticular) seem to get so affronted by SL being happy to risk his cash on punts/investments. 

It concerns me about as much as the water flow pressure of the sags new state of the art sprinkler system does. 

We are very fortunate to have SL's wealth on our side and if he's happy to shell out a million here and 2 million there, on players who he feels MAY be a good investment, then lucky us!

Some he'll win, some he'll lose. Thankfully he can afford to dabble! 

Maybe this situation is not the club's or LJ's doing. It could be the case that GE just couldn't settle in the UK, and was homesick. Mentally, this could have impaired him to such an extent that he couldn't perform to the level required.

Just a guess on my part, but I wouldn't rule it out.

2 minutes ago, Nibor said:

£2m is a lot of money for us make no mistake.  We were only able to blow a lot of cash last time around because of money coming in from Kodjia and Bolasie, we can't afford to speculate at the £2m level not because SL hasn't got the cash but because he won't be allowed to spend it due to FFP.  The stadium has added some income but not enough to be blasé about seven figure sums - if Engvall is so far away that LJ won't give him a chance then a major bollock has been dropped which impacts resources available to the first team significantly.

FFP relates to player wages. Not transfer fees, so unless a 20 year old from Sweden is breaking the bank on wages (he most certainly won't be!) then it makes no difference to us whatsoever as SL is writing out the cheques. 

He (or any other player we sign on this basis) MIGHT be the next Kodjia. It's a pretty good business model actually, IF you can afford to bank roll it. 

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

FFP relates to player wages. Not transfer fees, so unless a 20 year old from Sweden is breaking the bank on wages (he most certainly won't be!) then it makes no difference to us whatsoever as SL is writing out the cheques. 

He (or any other player we sign on this basis) MIGHT be the next Kodjia. It's a pretty good business model actually, IF you can afford to bank roll it. 

No, it doesn't.  FFP is about the level of losses allowed.  You are thinking of SCMP which was what we operated under in league one.

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

No, it doesn't.  FFP is about the level of losses allowed.  You are thinking of SCMP which was what we operated under in league one.

Ah, my apologies if that's the case. However with that in mind, the sale of Kodjia, plus Bolasie & Adomah sell on's, gives us plenty of scope for these kind of transfers. 

7 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I'm not saying he blasé but one large fee out of many the last few years that hasn't worked out. We can definitely afford to get one wrong here and there. Again you say 2m but when he was signed it was 1.4. It goes up on here. With add ons it was supposed to be up to 2.5m. With him not playing it won't be going up. Also it's not a complete loss, we will recoup probably close to 1m back for him. So after it's all said and done a loss of 500-750k. It's not awful, not ideal but not awful as some are making it out to be. Every club gets transfers wrong from time to time. We don't even know that he will be yet either. 

5 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Correct. Losses up to £7m I believe. But apparently agreeing a deal worth £2m + wages and signing on fee for one player is "peanuts"? Don't think so.

Archived