IGNORED

Our young players.

I know that this has been discussed before but based on what we have seen of them and looking at the transfer activity so far such as it is, who would you expect/like to see more of this season?

For me the obvious 3 contenders will be Vyner, Taylor Moore and COD. Would really hope that Moore will be given his chance this year. COD arguably had the most first team action. Would hope that they at least feature regularly from the bench this season. What are everyone's opinions? Do we think they are ready? Or are there other moore likely options? 

I think Engvall will be off (at least on loan so not considered him) and I dont count Bobby Reid as young now

How can you not count Young Bobby as young?!

i think COD could get more game time this year, Moore and Vyner are going to be relying on injuries to get a game really. As a wildcard, I wonder if Dowling could get a few games? Energetic ball-moving midfield player seems right up LJs street

3 minutes ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

I know that this has been discussed before but based on what we have seen of them and looking at the transfer activity so far such as it is, who would you expect/like to see more of this season?

For me the obvious 3 contenders will be Vyner, Taylor Moore and COD. Would really hope that Moore will be given his chance this year. COD arguably had the most first team action. Would hope that they at least feature regularly from the bench this season. What are everyone's opinions? Do we think they are ready? Or are there other moore likely options? 

I think Engvall will be off (at least on loan so not considered him) and I dont count Bobby Reid as young now

:shocking: Young Bobby not young? 

Sacrilege. :nono:

Think Bobby has always been viewed as younger than he is because of his stature. If he was 6ft+ and about a stone heavier he'd be seen differently.

24 isn't old in real life, but in football terms  he needs to be kicking on now and forging his career.

Would like to see more of Taylor Moore and Engvall around the squad. I'd like to think Brownhill and maybe CO'D will be in the first 11 relatively regularly.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Still time to edit out that preposterous comment.

Never seen anything so outrageous on OTIB. :no:

You've not looked very hard then Noggers.

12 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You've not looked very hard then Noggers.

Something more outrageous than Buster suddenly blurting out that Young Bobby is not, in fact, particularly young?

A shocking assertion I've only ever previously heard whispered furtively behind cupped hands in the smoking alley behind the Dolman?

Putting it in print for all to see?

No, sorry DC, I have to stand by what I said - I'm an OTIB original and this has to be the most preposterous comment I can ever remember seeing on the forum. 

To me Taylor Moore looks to have the best potential of all the youngsters. It's that vital experience of "men's" football that all young players lack that has kept him out of the first team.

Hopefully with the experience of being out on loan he'll have learnt enough to press for a first team place.

2 hours ago, chipdawg said:

COD could get more game time this year

COD played 1,646 mins for us last season; that's the equivalent of just over 18 games.  He played 36% of the maximum minutes he could.  I'm not disagreeing with you, just giving you the info. Perhaps he played more than you thought?

Personally I hope we see more of Moore this year...although if he were loaned out to L1 that wouldn't be awful either.

11 minutes ago, shelts said:

Lloyd Kelly . George Downing . Both look ready for the step up. It would be great if we could get a few of our own in the team 

Not sure about those 2 in particular, but difficult for any young player at AG to make the step up.

They need to come into an established settled team where everybody else knows exactly what their function is, so they can fit in relatively seamlessly while they find their feet.

The modern day Championship, with some managers shuffling their increasingly large packs regularly, means settled teams are becoming a rarity, and it's that much more difficult for occasionally appearing youngsters to come in and make their mark, as they might amongst an experienced and constant core.

12 minutes ago, shelts said:

Lloyd Kelly . George Downing . Both look ready for the step up. It would be great if we could get a few of our own in the team 

That's the long term plan set out by SL but.......LJ like all SBC managers are reluctant to introduce youngsters because of the risk. 

Vyners debut - Preston? - highlighted that. The opposition taregeted him as a debutant and he was exposed.

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That's the long term plan set out by SL but.......LJ like all SBC managers are reluctant to introduce youngsters because of the risk. 

Vyners debut - Preston? - highlighted that. The opposition taregeted him as a debutant and he was exposed.

He made his debut in a vital game, away to MK.

We won 2-0..

33 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not sure about those 2 in particular, but difficult for any young player at AG to make the step up.

They need to come into an established settled team where everybody else knows exactly what their function is, so they can fit in relatively seamlessly while they find their feet.

The modern day Championship, with some managers shuffling their increasingly large packs regularly, means settled teams are becoming a rarity, and it's that much more difficult for occasionally appearing youngsters to come in and make their mark, as they might amongst an experienced and constant core.

I hope our manager doesn't shuffle with an increasingly large Pack .

:shocking:

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Does it matter?      

Point is Vyner was targeted by the opposition and was exposed.

That's exactly when the players around the youngsters need to support and encourage them .

It's a lot like playing the violin , you do not start off and be Yehudi Menuin .  

15 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

That's exactly when the players around the youngsters need to support and encourage them .

Vyner played at RB and as I remember was frequently left unsupported and he consequently struggled largely thru lack of composure not helped by the fact he was no doubt very nervous.

No full back, regardless of their experience should be isolated at any level.

My guess of our starting line up as it stands on opening day:

Fielding
Pisano - Flint - Wright - Bryan
Smith - Hegeler - Pack
Paterson - Diedhiou - Taylor

Formation etc not important, it's a feasible line up. Not too dissimilar to what we played final game of last season, Fielding in for Gief, Heg for Brownhill, Diedhiou for Tammy, Pisano for Little.

I am a huge LJ fan, I believe he is the person to lead us forward but we are now at the point where the squad of players we have on the whole should all be in the prime of their career baring 1/2. The youngest player in that 11 is Bryan, 23. We have several people between 25-29. There can be no excuse of "we found ourselves in a situation and didn't quite adapt" these players are experienced enough to make those adaptations during a game and between games. If this season doesn't get off to the start we are all hoping for and continue the boardroom and more importantly coaching staff will have a lot to answer to. LJ has had enough windows to make this squad his own. Now is time to deliver.

The only young players I see getting any games is COD.

All three need to be in the first team or at least playing from the bench this season, including Engval. It's not only a much-needed indicator that our squad is strong enough to cope with the Championship, it's a review of the process that the club has put in place.

We've spent good money on Moore, Engval, and O'Dowda, and both Ashton and LJ have talked about bringing in young talent. If we can't bring in a single player purchased under their leadership into the first-team then why are we even bothering? Also, why are they bothering? These players need games at the highest level possible, and if the club don't have faith in you playing second division football after spending a whole year at the club, then they should opt to move on.

LJ has had a full year in charge, and there are no excuses any more. We've either progressed as a squad, or we've regressed as a club.

Archived