Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Top Robin    524

Now don't get me wrong.....I really hope we will have a decent next season and with our form towards the end of the last one and the new players brought in we should do ok. But we kind of thought this at the start of last season and as we know, things went downhill nastily. Will Lee be with us for the duration no matter how bad things get next season....I think he will. He has a lot riding on next season as he has chosen the players, spent a decent amount of money,picked the team, done the training strategy so its all down to him. In short he has now had enough time to create his own side. Lets hope this never comes into the equation but this is Bristol City.

• Like 1

Distortia    101

I'd be willing to bet money that if we're in the relegation zone and doing poor come December, he will certainly be sacked. Quite possibly before that, October/November time.

This whole notion of 'invincible LJ' is a bit silly, although admittedly it did seem that way at times last season.

Edited by Distortia
  • Like 10

BigTone    4,326
16 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

All I ask for IS NOT ANOTHER RELEGATION BATTLE.

I'm tired of them.

Tommy, you obviously support the wrong team !!!!

• Like 6

CheddarReds    354
17 minutes ago, Distortia said:

I'd be willing to bet money that if we're in the relegation zone and doing poor come December, he will certainly be sacked. Quite possibly before that, October/November time.

This whole notion of 'invincible LJ' is a bit silly, although admittedly it did seem that way at times last season.

Agree he won't last if we start well as most fans will lose patience again quickly.

Personally love that we bucked the trend of sack the boss as soon as we have a poor stint, just hope long term it pays off rather than looking back and thinking we just got away with it at the end of the season.

• Like 4

glos old boy    1,301

We start the new season with 3 strikers who have little to no exp in this division and another couple who might not come back at all and one of them is also very light on championship football. I wont mention the goalkeeper situation but another would be good.

So Lee will need to find his dream team a bit quicker than last season for us to make a better impression.

Cant see even relegation shifting him though; so we go with what we have until SL fancies a change.

• Like 1

glos old boy    1,301
16 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Agree he won't last if we start well as most fans will lose patience again quickly.

Personally love that we bucked the trend of sack the boss as soon as we have a poor stint, just hope long term it pays off rather than looking back and thinking we just got away with it at the end of the season.

Fans displeasure made no difference last season, it wont this season either......and I`m afraid he will be here for a while yet....so we have to go with it.

• Like 2

old_eastender    1,019
1 minute ago, glos old boy said:

We start the new season with 3 strikers who have little to no exp in this division and another couple who might not come back at all and one of them is also very light on championship football. I wont mention the goalkeeper situation but another would be good.

So Lee will need to find his dream team a bit quicker than last season for us to make a better impression.

Cant see even relegation shifting him though; so we go with what we have until SL fancies a change.

Depressing isn't it, the two signings lifted the mood a little, but still can't remember going into a season feeling that the best we can do is to come top of the bottom 6.

#Johnson Out

• Like 6

The_Don    455
5 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Depressing isn't it, the two signings lifted the mood a little, but still can't remember going into a season feeling that the best we can do is to come top of the bottom 6.

#Johnson Out

Depends how you look at things. I looks at our excellent start & end to last season and feel we can improve on our position this year, of course the new striker is an unknown quantity but we have a few players that will I feel will kick on this year in Paterson, Brownhill & Taylor.

• Like 3

Spoons    2,508
7 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

#Johnson Out

Cheer up mate! We've just spent £5.3 million on a striker and smashed our transfer record! 

Signed a old school itlian full back and will Probaly add a few more to the already promising squad! 

Fingers crossed we can start the season how we finished the last 15 games!

but get the feeling some want us to fail? Not sure why.

• Like 15

pillred    683

I know it's said every year but this season the championship does look harder than ever, villa will surely do better, this year wolves have spent big and Bolton and Sheffield utd are no mugs, but I still feel things will be better than last season, a more consistent one would be the thing I'm looking for.

pongo88    3,313

I'm no fan of LJ, but it's a but early to talk about when he's going to get sacked. The season hasn't even started yet, so give him the benefit of the doubt for a bit. If we talk about sacking him in July, it will be uproar if we actually lose a match in August 

• Like 3

Monkeh    6,297
10 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Cheer up mate! We've just spent £5.3 million on a striker and smashed our transfer record! 

Signed a old school itlian full back and will Probaly add a few more to the already promising squad! 

just so some can said I told you so

• Like 6

I would have thought a wretched start for City with a clamour for LJ to be sacked was everything Bristolians wanted. How else are they going to keep their World Champion status of being the most pessimistic moaning b*****ds on the planet. 

• Like 6

Mtimmy11    112

He was in charge of our longest losing run.dismantled a promotion squad and signed 19 average players. Over half our fans don't want him.Even if we went down we were told to like it or lump it by lansdown ,I think he's here for a while yet.

• Like 2

cynic    5,594
24 minutes ago, Spoons said:

I know why - they are just miserable gits that know no other way.

If we finished 3rd this season they'd be moaning that we chucked away promotion and LJ should be sacked and SL should have got another striker in January.

• Like 9

CyderInACan    2,653
1 minute ago, Mtimmy11 said:

He was in charge of our longest losing run.dismantled a promotion squad and signed 19 average players. Over half our fans don't want him.Even if we went down we were told to like it or lump it by lansdown ,I think he's here for a while yet.

That's some poll you've run there, @Mtimmy11 - on what basis do you allege that over half of our fans don't want him?

• Like 13

BigTone    4,326
43 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

SL will make the change if things don't improve. LJ is in the last chance saloon after last seasons debacle and he knows it.

Edited by BigTone

JoeAman08    3,557
4 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

Dismantled the promotion side that the year before also was in a relegation battle. Don't know why that's a stick to beat him with. 

• Like 7

Robbored    4,250
47 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

We start the new season with 3 strikers who have little to no exp in this division and another couple who might not come back at all and one of them is also very light on championship football. 

Just like last season then.

• Like 1

BigTone    4,326
1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Just like last season then.

And your point is ?

6 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

Where's the evidence that over half our fans don't want him. I hope nobody is going to refer to any poll conducted by the Post which is derided at every turn on the forum. 

The more than half that don't want him clearly didn't turn up at Burnley, Newcastle or Brighton or amongst the 20k  crowds cheering to the rafters at the Gate. 

• Like 1

tommy_b    142
6 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Dismantled the promotion side that the year before also was in a relegation battle. Don't know why that's a stick to beat him with. 

Quite. 

Most promoted squads in football often don't translate into capable squads the division up. Some individuals, yes, but not squads. 

To still have a core of 5/6 within the first team towards the end of last season two years and four windows after promotion? I reckon that is rare these days for successful teams.

• Like 4

Robbored    4,250
2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

And your point is ?

Three strikers with no SBC experience.

At least Taylor now has half a season of SBC experience. 

Mtimmy11    112
Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Where's the evidence that over half our fans don't want him. I hope nobody is going to refer to any poll conducted by the Post which is derided at every turn on the forum. 

The more than half that don't want him clearly didn't turn up at Burnley, Newcastle or Brighton or amongst the 20k  crowds cheering to the rafters at the Gate. 

I did turn up to all those, but I still don't want him in charge when s.c.  got the bullet I really thought we were about to reach for the stars .Then we headhunted the little one .Ambition my ass

• Like 4

BigTone    4,326
3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Three strikers with no SBC experience.

At least Taylor now has half a season of SBC experience. 

and scored goals for fun

Northern Red    3,515

Let's have it right, LJ could deliver on his talk of Europa League in 5 years* or whatever it was, and there would still be posters on here who don't want him as manager. 

* And no, I don't think he will either before anyone starts. 

Robbored    4,250
6 minutes ago, BigTone said:

and scored goals for fun

None of us have a crystal ball so we have no idea how next season will go but if otib is known for anything it's known for the wild speculation based on guesswork we see on here.

This time every year I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming campaign and I'm exactly the same again.

Im hoping (again) for a decent season with a chance of the pray-offs come the last 15 games or so.

Monkeh    6,297
34 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

that same promotion winning squad that had us 5 points a drift at the bottom of the championship looking dead and burried and got cotts the sack, which lee then came in and saved us...........twice (once of his own making)

• Like 6

downendcity    4,447
45 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I'm no fan of LJ, but it's a but early to talk about when he's going to get sacked. The season hasn't even started yet, so give him the benefit of the doubt for a bit. If we talk about sacking him in July, it will be uproar if we actually lose a match in August 

Unfortunately, for some on here it's never to early to talk about when LJ is going to be sacked.

• Like 4

BigTone    4,326
2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

None of us have a crystal ball so we have no idea how next season will go but if otib is known for anything it's known for the wild speculation based on guesswork we see on here.

This time every year I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming campaign and I'm exactly the same again.

Im hoping (again) for a decent season with a chance of the pray-offs come the last 15 games or so.

and I dream of finding Kylie Minogue AND Dolly naked in my Xmas stocking

ChippenhamRed    7,771
38 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

You do realise that a League One promotion squad does not equate to a Championship promotion squad don't you?

BigTone    4,326
1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You do realise that a League One promotion squad does not equate to a Championship promotion squad don't you?

How do we know as it was dismantled ?

archie andrews    1,358
25 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

I did turn up to all those, but I still don't want him in charge when s.c.  got the bullet I really thought we were about to reach for the stars .Then we headhunted the little one .Ambition my ass

language timothy

• Like 1

ChippenhamRed    7,771
1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

It is utter nonsense to suggest that he would still be here if we were to be relegated.

ChippenhamRed    7,771
1 minute ago, BigTone said:

How do we know as it was dismantled ?

I'm not certain if you're joking or not. I'll assume you're not and point out that a squad largely unchanged from the promotion side was 23rd when LJ arrived.

• Like 1

FramptonRed    150
22 minutes ago, BigTone said:

and scored goals for fun

I think Taylor will do ok next season,he has a lot to prove and will be hungry to succeed.

• Like 1

BigTone    4,326
Just now, FramptonRed said:

I think Taylor will do ok next season,he has a lot to prove and will be hungry to succeed.

Those in Row Z will be relieved

• Like 2

ChippenhamRed    7,771
36 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't necessarily agree with the claim but assuming attendance equates to support for the manager is a pretty weak argument to say the least.

We could try and get behind him - mental idea I know!

The negativity is overwhelming at times.

I think with what we have right at this moment we are a good GK away from a decent side. An extra speedster if I'm being greedy.

• Like 4

Distortia    101
46 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

This 'dismantling' then..

Sold Derrick Williams to Blackburn, where he got relegated and clearly hasn't set the world alight. Looks like he'll be a League 1 defender this season.

Sold Kieran Agard to MK Dons, where he has an average (at best) scoring record, and finished 12th in League 1. Again, League 1 player this season.

Sold Luke Freeman to QPR. Seems like he has performed okay there. I think most would agree he didn't really make the step up to Championship standard while he was with us. Personally I don't think we miss him at all.

Sold Luke Ayling to Leeds. This, in hindsight, could well be seen as a bad deal. Has done well at Leeds and could've been very useful as a RB this season, with Matthews a clear dud.

Released Osbourne, El-Abd and Wagstaff. All dropped divisions to find a club, none of them in the Championship since.

So, 6/8 playing in a division below, which appear to have found their level. A division or two below the current squad. So I'm not sure your point is valid at all.

• Like 9

Silvio Dante    992

This is one of the most bizarre threads I've seen in a while.

The facts are that we have signed two players - one of whom seems an upgrade on paper (Pisano), one of whom will be doing well to replace his predecessor but seemed a signing that we couldn't pull off so we have to be optimistic.

We've stated we want one or two more quality players rather than buffering the squad. That seems sensible as it allows younger players who have shown promise like COD & Brownhill more opportunity. If you believe the grapevine, that's upgrades in midfield & in goal.

We ended the season in good form. I'm not a LJ total defender, but I think when he stopped tinkering then things worked. The quality addition front rather than major surgery has to be sensible.

Theres slating of Taylor here who was key to our good form at the end of the season. Could he have scored more? Yep - but he contributed in spades.

This comes down to two things - do you think LJ has learnt from last season, and do you think with the right two additions we can markedly improve on last year. For me, it's yes to both (I hope).

But after the end to the season, and without seeing who he signs and the impact in the first part of next year, hash tags of Johnson out just seem a bit silly.

• Like 8

Top Robin    524
12 minutes ago, Distortia said:

This 'dismantling' then..

Sold Derrick Williams to Blackburn, where he got relegated and clearly hasn't set the world alight. Looks like he'll be a League 1 defender this season.

Sold Kieran Agard to MK Dons, where he has an average (at best) scoring record, and finished 12th in League 1. Again, League 1 player this season.

Sold Luke Freeman to QPR. Seems like he has performed okay there. I think most would agree he didn't really make the step up to Championship standard while he was with us. Personally I don't think we miss him at all.

Sold Luke Ayling to Leeds. This, in hindsight, could well be seen as a bad deal. Has done well at Leeds and could've been very useful as a RB this season, with Matthews a clear dud.

Released Osbourne, El-Abd and Wagstaff. All dropped divisions to find a club, none of them in the Championship since.

So, 6/8 playing in a division below, which appear to have found their level. A division or two below the current squad. So I'm not sure your point is valid at all.

I would say that all of them were either inconsistent or poor for us. The two stand out ones, Freeman and Ayling, had the odd decent game but plenty of poor ones.

• Like 2

Mtimmy11    112

I know it's along shot but say the gas were in the top 6of the championship and we are plodding along like we are,do your think we would still happy clapping little lee after anouther lack luster performance.I dont like to say it but I think the gas in the same league as us might get us going for it.little Lee's target this season don't forget is to finish halfway with a owner only worth 1.4billion

Spoons    2,508
5 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

I know it's along shot but say the gas were in the top 6of the championship and we are plodding along like we are,do your think we would still happy clapping little lee after anouther lack luster performance.I dont like to say it but I think the gas in the same league as us might get us going for it.little Lee's target this season don't forget is to finish halfway with a owner only worth 1.4billion

You are clearly deluded!

You should want bcfc to do well whoever is in charge?

You seem to want LJ to be in charge just to watch him fail.

Very odd, maybe just stay away.

chinapig    1,189
3 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

There may be a case to be made on both sides but I'm afraid as soon as someone resorts to childish phrases like 'Little Lee' any case they might have is fatally undermined.

Likewise if they start using terms like 'moaner' and 'happy clapper' in place of reasoned argument.

Perhaps we should save any debate until we've actually played some games?

• Like 1