IGNORED

Where are we at !!

longyears

Bought ourselves a number nine to replace himself and if he is as good then we are at even steven - unlikely he will score more goals in all honesty. Got ourselves an improved RB one would think so better in one position out of eleven. Otherwise the same players who narrowly avoided relegation last season. Anyone able to convince me to be optimistic ( unless of course others are about to join ). If not same old, same old I fear !

1 minute ago, longyears said:

Bought ourselves a number nine to replace himself and if he is as good then we are at even steven - unlikely he will score more goals in all honesty. Got ourselves an improved RB one would think so better in one position out of eleven. Otherwise the same players who narrowly avoided relegation last season. Anyone able to convince me to be optimistic ( unless of course others are about to join ). If not same old, same old I fear !

We beat Guernsey, what more do you want :disapointed2se:

Conceded too many goals last season in my opinion so that's the key to next season. That horrendous streak where we kept losing by the odd goal surely won't be repeated. We only got stuffed in one game last season so with 6-7 weeks of the transfer window to go I am pleased with the additions so far, we may lose 1 or 2 but feel we are well placed and prepared to bring in others if we need to

Progression and consistency are good things in football. It's why teams that buy 7/8 players in a single summer often flop the following season, because everybody takes time to adapt. The multiple January signings from last summer will have a full pre-season for the first time, everybody knows eachother better, I'm certain they will improve this season. It's only natural. Especially as it's such a young group of players. We just need to make sure we improve more than the teams around us.

Well, IMO we weren't that far away from having a decent team last season, as some results proved. Yes, we've hopefully got a replacement for 'Oh Tammy Tammy'. And when I heard that our new right back is akin to Bradley Orr, I must admit that a little bit of man wee came out!

There could still be signings. But I think what we have can be good enough. Consistency is indeed the main factor. We could be consistently bad or consistently great or consistently variable in our performances.

Most of that - as we saw last season - will be down to the management/coaching staff who will determine not only who plays, but with what tactics and in what formation.

I can only hope that much has already been learnt from last season.

As Mr Johnson said at the end of last season, "You learn more from defeat than you do from victories". A great cliche to rank alongside many others, but unfortunately, that means that for this coming season, he must be approaching genius level!

I will still back him and say thank you very much for keeping us up last season, but feel we got into a place we shouldn't of really been.

With less than a month to go to season kick off our main goal scoring hope is not even in the country let alone training with the squad. So we have a very in-exp strike force with hardly any to no playtime in this division.

Many have dreams of.......what? mid table, challenge the top six......nice dreams but sadly just that i.m.o. Same old same old, as the op says.

Squad is still to big for LJ to have much of a clue who exactly to play and where, its going to be tough and we will be facing some tough squads/games for sure another fight to stay alive I think but please prove me wrong next April.

3 minutes ago, freezer said:

Well, IMO we weren't that far away from having a decent team last season, as some results proved. Yes, we've hopefully got a replacement for 'Oh Tammy Tammy'. And when I heard that our new right back is akin to Bradley Orr, I must admit that a little bit of man wee came out!

There could still be signings. But I think what we have can be good enough. Consistency is indeed the main factor. We could be consistently bad or consistently great or consistently variable in our performances.

Most of that - as we saw last season - will be down to the management/coaching staff who will determine not only who plays, but with what tactics and in what formation.

As Mr Johnson said at the end of last season, "You learn more from defeat than you do from victories". A great cliche to rank alongside many others, but unfortunately, that means that for this coming season, he must be approaching genius level!

I will still back him and say thank you very much for keeping us up last season, but feel we got into a place we shouldn't of really been.

What like the Championship :fear:

28 minutes ago, freezer said:

Took the words (or sentences furiously typed on to an online forum) out of my mouth with that. Although I would say that more new signings would be excellent, I wouldn't be particularly terrified if there weren't.

1 hour ago, longyears said:

This is saying the same thing I raised in a post last week. And echoes exactly  how I feel. In real terms we have a new right back and not much else has changed. Why should we expect not to be in another relegation scrap. 

I think the squad is not too bad personally.

If the right player/players, come along and at a reasonable price then yeah have a crack at getting them in but overall our squad has a good range. Plus Taylor and Djuric will have a full pre-season behind them and the young players who joined summer 2016 now have a season of Championship experience behind them. I think the key is not too many comings and goings this summer, bit of stability, let it grow somewhat. Hopefully the young players will grow a bit out of the adversity of the middle third of last season too.

Hopefully lessons will have been learnt by all too.

I'm optimistic, but I am a glass half full type generally. I think the biggest thing is consistency, which imo is needed in any walk of life. We have seemingly improved our right back, with 2 younger players behind him with a season more under their belts. Hordur has a season under his belt in a new country & should be stronger for it. Smith hopefully will be fit & ready as I think people underestimate how important he is & was not fit for a large part of last season. O'Neil would be like a new signing if we can get him fit! Paterson, Brownhill & O'Dowda all started to grow in the later part of last season, hopefully that will continue. Tomlin hopefully can get back to his best & thrive. We have a new 5 million pound striker who certainly looks like a prospect. Taylor will be better for spending a few months in the Championship. I think as a group, there is room for improvement individually & collectively. Possibly 2 real quality signings could see us having a decent season. Bloody hell, I've convinced myself, we are going up! COYR 

The team was outstanding to finish the season and that team is all still here minus two players and we've replaced them. Plus all the Jan signings will now have a pre season and our young players have had another year to get physically stronger with many getting loan spells to get experience in men's football. With mostly young players, we should've grown from last season. So I'd say minimum expectations should be about 60 points. If that's a relegation battle I don't think anyone can complain, it's just a tough league. 

17 hours ago, longyears said:

We have signed a striker and a right back.

Surely we are nailed-on for the play-offs.

tfj

2 minutes ago, cynic said:

Never end a sentence with a preposition - unless you are Bristolian of course, and then you have to.

Latin has been a sad loss to the secondary curriculum in Bristol for too long .................

"Et tu licky-licky bummius".

:yes:

tfj

I'm very mixed about the next season, as mentioned we had some very positive moments last season but we also had that overshadowing run of losses so that tends to be what people focus on. 
In terms of the squad I'd say we have some good players and some great potential in our new signings, my concerns are in the players we still have who may not feature or add anything. Overall we have a fairly decent squad but when you compare the quality in depth we're still a little short and definitely way off the standard of the teams who are likely to fight for promotion. I know financially we can't compete with some of these teams but we do need to have a squad who are at least capable of causing an upset even if we're a player or two down in terms of injuries etc.

18 hours ago, longyears said:

Be assured that if you think we are going to have a good season, then it will probably be a poor one. And if you think it's going to be poor, then it will probably be a good one. Football is a funny old game! 

Assuming Pisano is an upgrade on Little and Diedhiou is a slight downgrade on Tammy (gonna be difficult to score as many but let's hope if he doesn't others do), then we know we have a team that on its day can compete and win against just about anyone.  On another day they can lose to anyone. 

Gonna be a inconsistent season...probably 

As things stand (I'm very aware that the window is still open), I fear for us next season. Without Tammy, we are weaker and it will take Fammy time to adjust I assume. 

I reckon it's a case of 'more of the same' TBH, superb at times and frustratingly poor at others. I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong but, at the moment, bottom half again. This league is great but it's also brutal as well.

We can sign as many players as we want, but without a winning mentality little will change.

Playing one up top does not sound like a winning mentality to me (personally, i like an interchangeable 352 or 532 formation).

I think there is alao a lot to be said for trying to keep a settled team this season.  Last season, there was too much tinkering leading to players looking unsure of what they were supposed to be doing.

Fringe players can be given chances from the bench based on merit or due to injuries only.

On 7/9/2017 at 15:57, wendyredredrobin said:

We can sign as many players as we want, but without a winning mentality little will change.

Playing one up top does not sound like a winning mentality to me (personally, i like an interchangeable 352 or 532 formation).

I think there is alao a lot to be said for trying to keep a settled team this season.  Last season, there was too much tinkering leading to players looking unsure of what they were supposed to be doing.

Fringe players can be given chances from the bench based on merit or due to injuries only.

I am sure the Chelsea fans wish they had showed more of a winning mentality and played 2 up top all last season......

Archived