IGNORED

Naturally Gifted

mozo

On 14/07/2017 at 10:49, cidered abroad said:

Ah, now we're talking talented City players. When on song, it was sheer delight to watch Jantzen. When not, at least we had ten others who would do his work and "look after him" in the nicest possible way.

Tomlin, JET, Jacki and a few others are similar but the big difference now is that the great majority of teams, cannot cope with their off days. As a left winger, Jantzen could stand on the touchline and watch the world go by, but the game is so different now that such players are a noticeable burden on the rest and the opposition are much cuter at taking advantage. 

Tommo gave us a few great moments but I feel that this coming season, we will be a better unit with a more even work rate among the eleven on the pitch.

I too am among the dwindling number of fans old enough to remember Jantzen (who as many will know still lives in the area and can be seen from time to time on the streets of south Bristol. On form, he could be absolutely sublime and almost unplayable. At worst, he was sometimes a passenger, but never a troublemaker. Unlike Tomlin, who was ultimately more trouble than he was worth.

On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 22:58, glastonred said:

Lee Trundle

He was undoubtedly a very gifted player, but I don't think we saw the best of him in a City shirt. Yes there were some sublime moments, but they were quite sporadic from what I recall.

6 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

I too am among the dwindling number of fans old enough to remember Jantzen (who as many will know still lives in the area and can be seen from time to time on the streets of south Bristol. On form, he could be absolutely sublime and almost unplayable. At worst, he was sometimes a passenger, but never a troublemaker. Unlike Tomlin, who was ultimately more trouble than he was worth.

My mum remembers him and discribes his ability much the same as you and added he lacked a bit of dicky dart when the going got tough 

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 18:38, mozo said:

So we saw Tomlin do some things with a football that very few City players have in history. Where does he rank in our list of natural talents?

Nowhere. Lee Tomlin gets called all sorts on forums but he at a very early age decided that he wanted to be more skilful than the rest the kids he played with, and then his later peers.

Technique and the ability to turn technical ability into performed skill under pressure is nurtured.

Talent is a learned skill via deliberate technical practice. Ronaldo was not born with an ability to knuckle a ball - Its incessant practice.

6 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Me to, and Gerry Sharpe,who was more than a bit useful and also often overlooked.

Who knows what Gerry might have gone on to achieve if it where not for his cruel injury?

42 minutes ago, shelts said:

My mum remembers him and discribes his ability much the same as you and added he lacked a bit of dicky dart when the going got tough 

Probably fair comment from your mum. Jantzen was - still is I dare say - a mild mannered man and certainly no bruiser,  but the ultimate "natural " who played the game with about as much effort as it costs most of us to breathe. On his day he looked like he could do it in his sleep.  He is only a year or two older than me and was my idol when I was still a schoolboy and he was just breaking into the team.  Partly for nostalgic reasons, I admit, he might just be my favourite City player of all. 

Just now, CliftonCliff said:

Probably fair comment from your mum. Jantzen was - still is I dare say - a mild mannered man and certainly no bruiser,  but the ultimate "natural " who played the game the way with about as much effort as it costs most of us to breathe. On his day he looked like he could do it in his sleep.  He is only a year or two older than me and was my idol when I was still a schoolboy and he was just breaking into the team.  Partly for nostalgic reasons, I admit, he might just be my favourite City player of all. 

I know his family and have met him quite a few times and he's a gent and a scholar. Mums says her first City crush was Alan Williams!!!

1 minute ago, shelts said:

I know his family and have met him quite a few times and he's a gent and a scholar. Mums says her first City crush was Alan Williams!!!

If rumours are to be believed, your mum wasn't the only one. AW was reputed to be a bit of a ladies' man.

Not mentioned so far - and not in the fancy daps league of some mentioned in this thread - but I'd add Luke Freeman to the list of players with oodles of natural on-the-ball skill.

The trouble with Luke was that he scored far too rarely for an attacking midfielder, and - when his confidence was gone - he was useless.

9 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not mentioned so far - and not in the fancy daps league of some mentioned in this thread - but I'd add Luke Freeman to the list of players with oodles of natural on-the-ball skill.

The trouble with Luke was that he scored far too rarely for an attacking midfielder, and - when his confidence was gone - he was useless.

Nice player . Talented . Overrated 

Jacki the most naturally talented by a country mile.

Did he turn up very often.. Not really. But the skill he showed is what football is all about for me. I pay to be entertained.. Not to be bored to death by a good pro who can run around alot. Yes these players are needed... But I want to be dazzled by skill, i want to see a player who can control a ball effortlessly and bring the whole crowd to their feet.  

For me that was Jacki 

No shouts for Junior Bent yet then?

I need to refer to my City history books for Jantzen, not heard him get much of a memtion on this forum in the past...

Surely there's no disputing that some players are just born with talent?? Gazza used to impress his neighbours with his ball juggling at the age of 4. That's just weird!

6 minutes ago, mozo said:

I need to refer to my City history books for Jantzen, not heard him get much of a memtion on this forum in the past...

Surely there's no disputing that some players are just born with talent?? Gazza used to impress his neighbours with his ball juggling at the age of 4. That's just weird!

sure he bust his leg badly,heard it crack around AG

11 hours ago, mozo said:

Surely there's no disputing that some players are just born with talent?? you  pointed out that Gazza was practising at four. in his book Ronaldo says he doesnt have talent apart from work and train more than anybody else. Messi's father started him training at two!!! Pirlos free kick took him three years to perfect.

12 hours ago, mozo said:

That is an excellent example of a player who is not born with talent. He is creating his talent. At four he is more engaged with football to an advanced degree, thus he will improve faster and learn more and become a player of an advanced degree.

Talent in football it is a mental aptitude.

Archived