IGNORED

Realistically, what would LJ have to do?

The Fat Controller

51 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I really don't like feeling like this, but I'm not sure there's anything he can do. Don't get me wrong, I'd like him to do well... who wouldn't want their team to do well? But I just don't like him. For me, last season caused irreconcilable differences between me as a fan and him. The smarminess, the failure to shoulder any responsibility when things were going bad and just generally the fact that he's treated completely differently to any other manager we've ever had. 

I hope I can change my mind. I hope Johnson can change it for me. But as of this time, I find the fact that he is in charge of our football club utterly repulsive. 

There. I've said it. 

Amen to that

I don't want him here and I don;t think he'll be here at the end of the season,

We won't go down we'll finish 10th to 14th, however Johnson has a clean slate, this is his coaching team and his squad now, he's had long enough to build it, any failure if at all will be his fault,

41 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I really don't like feeling like this, but I'm not sure there's anything he can do. Don't get me wrong, I'd like him to do well... who wouldn't want their team to do well? But I just don't like him. For me, last season caused irreconcilable differences between me as a fan and him. The smarminess, the failure to shoulder any responsibility when things were going bad and just generally the fact that he's treated completely differently to any other manager we've ever had. 

I hope I can change my mind. I hope Johnson can change it for me. But as of this time, I find the fact that he is in charge of our football club utterly repulsive. 

There. I've said it. 

I'm afraid I agree with the honesty in this Fordy. Well done for saying it.  My honest feeling is the last minute upturn in form that kept us up was not Johnsons work at all, it exacty coincided wth the introduction of Jamie McAllister as assistant coach, although Johnson in his typical fashion would take the credit.  JM seemed to settle the team down and the players looked to him on the touchline in those last games as was noted by others.

Tomlin was not a yes man which is all Johnson can handle.  And yes the smarminess, constant shallow bullshit, finger pointing that went on was shocking and I'm amazed he has gotten away with it for so long.  I really am not looking forward to the post match drivel next season and the upturned sentences looking for approval when he talks.

So what can Johnson do?  Hey can sling his hook and let JM manage the players as i'm sure he did at the end of the season anyway.

Just now, paulcityfan said:

I'm afraid I agree with the honesty in this Fordy. Well done for saying it.  My honest feeling is the last minute upturn in form that kept us up was not Johnsons work at all, it exacty coincided wth the introduction of Jamie McAllister as assistant coach, although Johnson in his typical fashion would take the credit.  JM seemed to settle the team down and the players looked to him on the touchline in those last games as was noted by others.

Tomlin was not a yes man which is all Johnson can handle.  And yes the smarminess, constant shallow bullshit, finger pointing that went on was shocking and I'm amazed he has gotten away with it for so long.  I really am not looking forward to the post match drivel next season and the upturned sentences looking for approval when he talks.

So what can Johnson do?  Hey can sling his hook and let JM manage the players as i'm sure he did at the end of the season anyway.

Johnson wanted JmC there in the first place so he can take credit for it, like it or not

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

What would our Head Coach have to do to change he opinions of those of you that don't believe he can be a success? Good consistent form all season? Reach a certain position? Play a certain way? Show certain managerial skills? What does he have to do?

I'm not looking for a debate as to whether he is good enough or not as that has been done to death so please leave it out, just a genuine question as to what he would have to do to change doubters opinions of him. I am genuinely intrigued as I kind of sit on the fence where Johnson is concerned. 

Stop talking over intellectual bollocks, pick a consistent side and play a recognisable style and shape without excessive tinkering, and most importantly show a gradual improvement in results.  We shouldn't be in relegation trouble at any point given the resources available. 

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I don't want him here and I don;t think he'll be here at the end of the season,

We won't go down we'll finish 10th to 14th, however Johnson has a clean slate, this is his coaching team and his squad now, he's had long enough to build it, any failure if at all will be his fault,

If we finish 10th to 14th he certainly will be here at the end of the season! That would be our highest league finish in nearly a decade. 

44 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I'll reiterate that I want us to do well... I thought that the off season might see my displeasure ebb away, but it hasn't. 

What has the world come to if I cannot get excited about a £5m striker - at little old Bristol City! I find myself unable to watch any interviews with LJ, in fact just talking about him here is making my blood pressure rise slightly. 

Never have I had such a lack of interest. And I don't like it. 

Hopefully a good start to the season might see things change. 

Similar to how I feel. I support the team, always. But I am fed up of corporate drivel from MA, LJ and co., and didn't like being told to put up and shut up from SL. Only time will tell if LJ is a success…I don't hate him but I'm concerned about his capabilities as a coach and manager, especially if he takes after his father and SL is blind to his failings.

I have to accept that he is here for the foreseeable but I don't have to bounce around the ground just because he says so…:city:

Learn from last season and put it into practice.

He's said that he felt he "over-coached" at times last year. It was clear to everyone that he struggled to turn around a poor run of form, probably due in part to bad luck and other factors (though if key players aren't fit and performing, that's his responsibility), but maybe he tried too hard to fix things. Changed too many things, gave the players too many new instructions. I don't know, but I see it as a positive that he's identified something that he did wrong last season.

The question is can he fix it?

I'm optimistic that he can, because I'm always optimistic. I think we've a mid-table squad that is young and improving, managed by an intelligent and pro-active manager who is desperate to succeed. Expectations got too high at the start of last season but the middle part set them at a more realistic level. I don't think anybody is expecting a promotion challenge this season, but nobody wants to see 11 defeats in a row or whatever it was again.

He's going to need a good start. I'm clearly still in a minority of people who are prepared to back him and if we start with a run of defeats then I can see the atmosphere turning very nasty indeed. Some of the abuse he received last year was disgraceful and I was of the opinion at one point that he should be sacked to spare him from it. I don't think he'll endure another period like that this season and keep his job.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's more of a principle issue with me, his relationship with the owners, his appointment, the retention of him when any other BCFC manager in history would've been given the boot.

HOWEVER, taking into consideration the war chest he has been given over the past 18 months, as a bare minimum I would be content with a season similar to the likes of Brentford who sat just below the play offs/midtable for most of the season and finished 10th. Anything top half would be decent.

I think most City supporters would be more than happy with a season spent in the middle of the C'ship with no relegation worries. It shouldn't be too much to ask for these days, given our resources.

The nail has been hit firmly on the head.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

There. I've said it. 

Couldn't have put it better myself. Exactly how I feel unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I'll reiterate that I want us to do well... I thought that the off season might see my displeasure ebb away, but it hasn't. 

What has the world come to if I cannot get excited about a £5m striker - at little old Bristol City! I find myself unable to watch any interviews with LJ, in fact just talking about him here is making my blood pressure rise slightly. 

Never have I had such a lack of interest. And I don't like it. 

Hopefully a good start to the season might see things change. 

You coming to the games? For me personally it would probs be better if you stay away until LJ is sacked as no matter what happens you will pounce on everything negative that will happen next season under LJ and of course there will be negatives.

We have a young inexperienced side that will need some encouragement especially when we're up against it,

LJ is a lucky boy, we all know that but is it not refreshing at all to see a manager backed through a bad spell rather than sacked? We only really got battered by Preston and should have won games during that disastourous period.  I will be more than happy with a 12-14 place finish this season and establish ourselves in the championship.

1 hour ago, Chris_Brown said:

What would our Head Coach have to do to change he opinions of those of you that don't believe he can be a success? Good consistent form all season? Reach a certain position? Play a certain way? Show certain managerial skills? What does he have to do?

I'm not looking for a debate as to whether he is good enough or not as that has been done to death so please leave it out, just a genuine question as to what he would have to do to change doubters opinions of him. I am genuinely intrigued as I kind of sit on the fence where Johnson is concerned. 

In the top 10 at the end of the coming season and I'll believe in Johnson. Nothing personal against the guy at all.  Personally I think we'll end up fighting to stay up so. The squad just isn't deep enough and there's a lack of genuine quality. 

It'll be nice not to have a relegation scare for a change. There are simply no excuses for us to push on with the resources we have and even before a ball has been kicked, already questions are being asked.

One step forward, two steps back = Bristol City FC. 

Please get it right this season please, is it too much to ask?

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

It'll be nice not to have a relegation scare for a change. There are simply no excuses for us to push on with the resources we have and even before a ball has been kicked, already questions are being asked.

That's the minimum for me, a comfortable mid table finish with no relegation fight.

The big problem for me is that it's almost impossible to tell if LJ has learnt from his mistakes and if another bad run arrives, will he be able to overcome again.

Let's put it another way. If any went on an eight match losing run with a manager of twenty years successful experience, that it wasn't because he had suddenly become a bad manager.

With LJ however, or any other rookie manager, it's nigh on impossible to say at the end of the bad run, that it is he who has caused the bad run to end. He's had bad runs of defeats now at Oldham, Barnsley and City.

If he has learnt how to get draws instead of defeats like last season's Cardiff and Reading at home within a week of each other, then he is improving. If, then he's learnt nothing.

2 hours ago, Chris_Brown said:

Just cut out the continual bullshit.

For me, I have to wipe the slate clean and believe we will have a better season and he's learnt more about himself, his squad and this division going

The feeling at the back end of that winless run last season was as low and as bitter as I've seen around for a while. I know we don't want to feel like that again.

I don't have blind faith but I know somewhere at the back end of last season things looked ok on the pitch and there is a good side in that squad.

I'm prepared to park the optimism 90 minutes into the season but for now its a new dawn, a new day and I'm feeling good.

38 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Technically the 'one step forward, two steps back' thing isn't quite true if you look at league finishes alone. We've finished the season in a progressively higher position every season since our relegation in 2012/13.

You could argue we're are making progress, our scouting is better since then, we've shifted deadwood, we appear far more savvy in the transfer market, we've scouted some great players, we've revamped the u23s, the stadium is finished, we make more revenue off the pitch..

I know last season was tricky, but as a club we are making progress. Depends what barometer you're measuring on though.

Archived