IGNORED

Realistically, what would LJ have to do?

The Fat Controller

1 hour ago, stephenkibby. said:

Well I so regret reading this.  I was looking forward to the new season, but now?

Maybe iv left my head in the sand but still wanted to go into the new season with some hope.

But it appears were ****** and were on a spiral that's out of control.

If it's any consolation  to most, a bad first two months and Johnson will be gone.

You on the red as well?!?

18 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I really don't like feeling like this, but I'm not sure there's anything he can do. Don't get me wrong, I'd like him to do well... who wouldn't want their team to do well? But I just don't like him. For me, last season caused irreconcilable differences between me as a fan and him. The smarminess, the failure to shoulder any responsibility when things were going bad and just generally the fact that he's treated completely differently to any other manager we've ever had. 

I hope I can change my mind. I hope Johnson can change it for me. But as of this time, I find the fact that he is in charge of our football club utterly repulsive. 

There. I've said it. 

Well said Fordy. Totally sums up how I feel. I have been following the club for 45 years and I have seen highs and lows over this period. What gets me is his attitude to it all, comes across as he's untouchable, which annoys me no end.

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Did they?! They had three managers during that season, Wagner only joined them in November 2015 - how do you know they wanted him out?

Just going off of what a Hudds fan who I work with tells me. He seemed to suggest that the general consensus was that there was no way they would survive another season with him!

Listening to his bûllshit interviews after preseason games has just reminded me of the crap he used to talk last season, frankly he has to do an awful lot to win me over last season I never felt so low watching my beloved bristol city as I did then. As others have said he doesn't shoulder blame he hangs players out to dry, lies out of his arse all the time, it would be nice if sometimes he was honest that he screwed up.

Preseason isn't filling me with confidence 2 signings yet we all know there are still problem areas to fill, yet it seems as in a recent interview he is happy with his business and the squad, I'm not saying we need loads of players but goalkeeper, winger and a goal scoring midfielder are a must

We have famara hopefully will be good but where else are the goals coming from

A top half of the table finish would go a long way to changing my opinion. If Diedhiou does not quickly adapt there is a big question mark about where goals are going to come from and if this is the case will probably leave us in a relegation battle. The situation will likely worsen even further if Flint leaves. L J needs to be factoring in these possibilities now and therefore making the appropriate signings. With the present squad a top half finish would be a fantastic achievement and cause my appreciation for L J's management skills to rise hugely.  

30 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Just going off of what a Hudds fan who I work with tells me. He seemed to suggest that the general consensus was that there was no way they would survive another season with him!

Certainly I remember reading their forums after we thrashed them at the end of that season and a lot wanted rid of him then. 

To be honest I don't think he'll ever win me over. I might end up tolerating him, but win me over, nah.  He's a condescending (deliberate emphasis on con) twit who is full of waffle and an overinflated opinion of himself. He's achieved nothing yet talks like he's Alex Ferguson. 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Fair play if that was that Hudds fan's view, but I work with one season ticket holder and another lad who supports them and attends regularly though isn't a season ticket holder, and both of them were more than happy with their gaffer at the end of 15/16 - if anything they came over as a touch cocky, much to the mirth of the Leeds fans we jointly know.

Turns out they were right to have been confident.  Wagner was a sea change from Powell in terms of style, and he got a lot out of previously underperforming players, so the fans felt he could kick on with the right recruits, and the rest is history.

At this moment, I would like Lee to assemble a squad good enough for the Championship - with the current transfer business I fear we lack the quality to avoid another relegation battle.

You could say that too much rest upon the capability of our new striker; so what if he struggles to adapt?  He has a mountain of goals to make up for with the absence of Tammy (of course this is a shared burden across the attacking unit).

I'd expect LJ (and MA) to replace Tomlin with suitable talent and continue to enhance the squad.

2 hours ago, Corsham Ed said:

Well said Fordy. Totally sums up how I feel. I have been following the club for 45 years and I have seen highs and lows over this period. What gets me is his attitude to it all, comes across as he's untouchable, which annoys me no end.

I agree, the leeway he was given last season would not have been given to practically anyone, couldn't see wenger surviving that run, and yet now it's as though he's actual benefited from the whole shambles

the Bristol sport spin machine has turned an absolute debarcle in to we did well and lj saved us and if we're lucky we might stay up this year. If not stated implicitly that's huw it's presented 

classic pr manage expectations

a better question is what on earth would cost him his job, as tinnion recently said the club comes first but it seems that does not apply to Johnson, would a ten game losing run cost him his job, perhaps a fifteen game one. 

To answer the question if he was to exceed expectations  or failing that resign if it starts crumbling then he'd have my respect, last season proved he wouldn't do the second one and I can't see him miraculously changing his style of picking wingers in centre midfield etc

2 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Some managers just 'fit' perfectly with a club and seem to get almost instant success and some just don't. Same with players. Pity it doesn't happen to us very often on the managerial front!

56 minutes ago, B block said:

I agree, the leeway he was given last season would not have been given to practically anyone, couldn't see wenger surviving that run, and yet now it's as though he's actual benefited from the whole shambles

the Bristol sport spin machine has turned an absolute debarcle in to we did well and lj saved us and if we're lucky we might stay up this year. If not stated implicitly that's huw it's presented 

classic pr manage expectations

a better question is what on earth would cost him his job, as tinnion recently said the club comes first but it seems that does not apply to Johnson, would a ten game losing run cost him his job, perhaps a fifteen game one. 

To answer the question if he was to exceed expectations  or failing that resign if it starts crumbling then he'd have my respect, last season proved he wouldn't do the second one and I can't see him miraculously changing his style of picking wingers in centre midfield etc

I am pretty certain that what would cost him his job is any repetition of last season's poor run.

SL's continued backing of LJ when things looked bad before christmas, proved to be justified come the end of the season. In view of everything that's been posted on here since Tomlin's departure, it might also be the case  that the owner was well aware of the problems that it seems Tomlin was causing behind the scenes and in the dressing room, so was prepared to give LJ the time to get things back on track, which he did.

I would also add, that if what has been posted is true and that Tomlin was disruptive in the dressing room and undermining LJ, then the head coach will have been trying to do his job with  one hand tied behind his back. Perhaps it was the case that once it became clear that LJ had the owner's continued backing, that the players saw that LJ was staying and once Tomlin was no longer featuring, they could see the lie of the land and we saw the way things improved on the pitch at the end of the season as a result.

None of that absolves LJ of any responsibility for some of the issues lasts season. He needs to stop the chopping snd changing with selections, although, I do think some of this was caused by him trying to find the way of accommodating Tomlin. As it turns out ,the best way of accommodating Tomlin proved to be leaving him on the bench and picking the best team.

I also think that LJ needs some media training, as he doesn't have his Dad's "cheeky chappy" person to help carry his faux pas, and he does need to front up a bit more and cut out some of the more obvious bullshit. If he does get things working better on the pitch he needs to communicate far better if he is to get sceptical fans onside with what he is trying to do going forward.

With the amount that SL has invested, and continues to invest, both in the stadium and players, I cannot believe he is prepared to jeopardise  that by risking relegation, so LJ must be in the last chance saloon. He needs a solid start to the season and more consistency - we will lose games of course, but cannot afford the sort of dire run we had before last Christmas, otherwise, wham, he will be gone!

I'm reservedly optimistic, because I do think that Tomlin was very much more of a bad influence on things last season than we perhaps realised. I also think that we have  pretty decent squad, albeit many of them relatively young and inexperienced, but that same group of players ( with the exception of Tammy, of course) rose to the challenge and pressure in the latter part of last season, so there is no reason they will not have benefited from that experience come the new season. All of this is subject to the way they are managed, and LJ knows where he stands on that front I am sure, so he really has no excuses and I'm hoping he won't need any.

However, the bad apple

4 hours ago, samo II said:

Fair play if that was that Hudds fan's view, but I work with one season ticket holder and another lad who supports them and attends regularly though isn't a season ticket holder, and both of them were more than happy with their gaffer at the end of 15/16 - if anything they came over as a touch cocky, much to the mirth of the Leeds fans we jointly know.

Turns out they were right to have been confident.  Wagner was a sea change from Powell in terms of style, and he got a lot out of previously underperforming players, so the fans felt he could kick on with the right recruits, and the rest is history.

Fair shout mate. My colleague isn't a STH but he gets up a few times a year when he sees family. 

I cant post his comments after that game on a family friendly forum :) 

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

I am pretty certain that what would cost him his job is any repetition of last season's poor run.

SL's continued backing of LJ when things looked bad before christmas, proved to be justified come the end of the season. In view of everything that's been posted on here since Tomlin's departure, it might also be the case  that the owner was well aware of the problems that it seems Tomlin was causing behind the scenes and in the dressing room, so was prepared to give LJ the time to get things back on track, which he did.

I would also add, that if what has been posted is true and that Tomlin was disruptive in the dressing room and undermining LJ, then the head coach will have been trying to do his job with  one hand tied behind his back. Perhaps it was the case that once it became clear that LJ had the owner's continued backing, that the players saw that LJ was staying and once Tomlin was no longer featuring, they could see the lie of the land and we saw the way things improved on the pitch at the end of the season as a result.

None of that absolves LJ of any responsibility for some of the issues lasts season. He needs to stop the chopping snd changing with selections, although, I do think some of this was caused by him trying to find the way of accommodating Tomlin. As it turns out ,the best way of accommodating Tomlin proved to be leaving him on the bench and picking the best team.

I also think that LJ needs some media training, as he doesn't have his Dad's "cheeky chappy" person to help carry his faux pas, and he does need to front up a bit more and cut out some of the more obvious bullshit. If he does get things working better on the pitch he needs to communicate far better if he is to get sceptical fans onside with what he is trying to do going forward.

With the amount that SL has invested, and continues to invest, both in the stadium and players, I cannot believe he is prepared to jeopardise  that by risking relegation, so LJ must be in the last chance saloon. He needs a solid start to the season and more consistency - we will lose games of course, but cannot afford the sort of dire run we had before last Christmas, otherwise, wham, he will be gone!

I'm reservedly optimistic, because I do think that Tomlin was very much more of a bad influence on things last season than we perhaps realised. I also think that we have  pretty decent squad, albeit many of them relatively young and inexperienced, but that same group of players ( with the exception of Tammy, of course) rose to the challenge and pressure in the latter part of last season, so there is no reason they will not have benefited from that experience come the new season. All of this is subject to the way they are managed, and LJ knows where he stands on that front I am sure, so he really has no excuses and I'm hoping he won't need any.

However, the bad apple

Good post DC....interesting angle in para 3.  I actually quite like the LJ mention early in pre-season that he would build his team around LT, then got rid of him next.  I was critical of LJ last season for not leaving LT out of the squad altogether, but I guess it's not that easy when you're unsure of your own position.

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Fair shout mate. My colleague isn't a STH but he gets up a few times a year when he sees family. 

I cant post his comments after that game on a family friendly forum :) 

I think even the most die hard of them were pretty gutted to get bettered a few times at the tail end of the season, but having comprehensively smashed Leeds a month or so before, and Wagner apparently tinkering to work out who he wanted/needed the next season, I think fans understood what was happening.

On 14/07/2017 at 13:08, Monkeh said:

I don't want him here and I don;t think he'll be here at the end of the season,

We won't go down we'll finish 10th to 14th, however Johnson has a clean slate, this is his coaching team and his squad now, he's had long enough to build it, any failure if at all will be his fault,

and Steve Lansdown

On 14/07/2017 at 12:09, NOTR said:

Point 1 for me,this is Bristol City ,this is how we play.

Don't quite share this. I'm not looking for an on-the-field identity we can all revel in. Just some good results and and a bit of positivity around the place would be fine.

So thought about this one for a few days.

For me

1 Stop making bloody weird substitutions at bad times (a boody corner that led to a goal at Newcastle is unforgivable and that is just the very tippy tip of the iceberg)

2 Play players in natural positions. 

3 Hold a bloody lead. Oh shit we are winning I'll change it  and making it exciting for our fans for the last five minutes is not a quality

4 Stop LJ bingo it is not a real game

5 Be consistent, like you were for the last few desperate games

6 Win games of football and the supporters will love you. Including me and notable others that post here!

16 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

So thought about this one for a few days.

For me

1 Stop making bloody weird substitutions at bad times (a boody corner that led to a goal at Newcastle is unforgivable and that is just the very tippy tip of the iceberg)

2 Play players in natural positions. 

3 Hold a bloody lead. Oh shit we are winning I'll change it  and making it exciting for our fans for the last five minutes is not a quality

4 Stop LJ bingo it is not a real game

5 Be consistent, like you were for the last few desperate games

6 Win games of football and the supporters will love you. Including me and notable others that post here!

Shame, you were doing so well up to that point!:P

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:58, Chris_Brown said:

What would our Head Coach have to do to change he opinions of those of you that don't believe he can be a success? Good consistent form all season? Reach a certain position? Play a certain way? Show certain managerial skills? What does he have to do?

I'm not looking for a debate as to whether he is good enough or not as that has been done to death so please leave it out, just a genuine question as to what he would have to do to change doubters opinions of him. I am genuinely intrigued as I kind of sit on the fence where Johnson is concerned. 

If your not looking for a debate why put the post up in the first place?

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Dear God, I wouldn`t want to be in a lifeboat with some of you lot.

Would make the choice as to who to chuck overboard first much easier though, wouldn't it!

40 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Would make the choice as to who to chuck overboard first much easier though, wouldn't it!

And there would be some on here saying how nice the oars were varnished ,and how it's only 800 miles to land , so everything's actually really good !!

Archived