IGNORED

The official Yeovil Town FC v Bristol City FC pre-season friendly match day thread

Septic Peg

20 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

Mags is quality. Should have started more games last season. 

I  hope he will. I like his long throws and with Famara and Milan in the side they could prove a good attacking tool. Also, with LT now departed, who do we have that can take a decent free kick?

In some ways, if Flint and/or JB were to leave it may turn out to be a good situation to be in - provided he doesn`t want away as well of course!

Wow.

Know we have some sick notes but anyone else worried about the quality and depth of our squad looking at that team sheet? 

Time from action MA. Nomore misfits, misfirers, punts or ones for the future, just Championship quality and ready players please now my man. 

19 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

If Reid keeps knocking them in and assisting, he'll be starting

A purple patch against Yeovil, Bristol Manor Farm and Bath City compared several seasons showing he is not a consistent Championship performer.

All 3 players have had there chance and if we want to progress all three need to be upgraded. I doubt in 6 weeks or so much has changed.

52 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Wow.

Know we have some sick notes but anyone else worried about the quality and depth of our squad looking at that team sheet? 

Time from action MA. Nomore misfits, misfirers, punts or ones for the future, just Championship quality and ready players please now my man. 

Luckily it's as easy as that. Plenty of Championship quality players just knocking about not really up to much... I've heard they're off down Twiggy's Dance Club..?

54 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Wow.

We need 4 or 5 players imo. At the moment the squad is nowhere near good enough.

46 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

Wow.

I know I am in danger of appearing over-optimistic, which goes against the grain on here, and I know it was only Yeovil, but I saw lots to be pleased with today. Several of the younger players have come on a lot since last season. Bobby added goals to his energy and was an effective link between midfield and Famara, who showed some lovely touches. Patto and COD played well on the wings. Magners was strong in the air and assured on the ground, and Brownhill was aggressive in the tackle. I would love to see us stick with these youngsters, that is how they develop, and Barnsley have demonstrated that having faith in kids like Mawson and Stones pays dividends. Yes, I know it will be much tougher in the Championship and maybe my glass is more than half full. Go on then OTIB, shoot me down.....

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

Mags is quality. Should have started more games last season. 

Got turned and bullied my Yeovil striker early in the 2nd half allowing him to run in on goal. Only Joe Bryan's pace saved a goal. Mags is a good footballer but I do worry about him at the moment when he comes up against big powerful strikers.

4 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Rumour has it that Flint walked off the coach and didn't stop for photos/autographs. Also basically warmed up by himself...

But then again...

Has City just staged a massive ruse? Most epic of pranks?

Flint didn't warm up by himself at all..?! 

Talk about completely making up non stories. 

Yea get another 4-5 in so when they get rotated we can bring out the boring tombola joke again. We need another 1-2 quality I'll agree but time to give some of the youth a run. Realistically, they'll get a few sub appearances and maybe an appearance or two. No need to bloat the squad again. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yea get another 4-5 in so when they get rotated we can bring out the boring tombola joke again. We need another 1-2 quality I'll agree but time to give some of the youth a run. Realistically, they'll get a few sub appearances and maybe an appearance or two. No need to bloat the squad again. 

1 would be a start Joe. I thought LJ wanted his squad completed before Tenerife? That's clearly not going to happen. Reason for mild concern IMHO.

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

1 would be a start Joe. I thought LJ wanted his squad completed before Tenerife? That's clearly not going to happen. Reason for mild concern IMHO.

True but to be honest, I don't think that much business has been done yet by anyone. With the fees being banded about I think teams are willing to be more patient to get a good deal. There are quite a few premier league clubs that haven't signed anyone or just 1. Many clubs in our league will be looking to the league up to help fill out their squads and then if we can't get our hands on them then to the targets of teams in our division. In a perfect world we'd have our complete squad by Spain but we've got a good core and hopefully bedding 1,2 or 3 more in won't be too difficult seeing as everyone else has been together awhile now. I think we'll see a lot of movement in the top 2 English leagues in August. 

It was a pre season game ffs........it's a meaningless run out that none of the players take seriously. They all want to avoid injury and competitive edge of the SBC is obviously missing.

The warm up games are a chance for players to enhance their fitness and an opportunity for the new boys to play with their new team. 

LJ will cast an eye over them all looking for energy levels, team melding and individual performances but having been a player himself he'll be well aware of pre season games and how the players see them.

As a supporter these games hold zero interest to me but they are obviously essential to all clubs.

1 hour ago, Richard Head said:

I know I am in danger of appearing over-optimistic, which goes against the grain on here, and I know it was only Yeovil, but I saw lots to be pleased with today. Several of the younger players have come on a lot since last season. Bobby added goals to his energy and was an effective link between midfield and Famara, who showed some lovely touches. Patto and COD played well on the wings. Magners was strong in the air and assured on the ground, and Brownhill was aggressive in the tackle. I would love to see us stick with these youngsters, that is how they develop, and Barnsley have demonstrated that having faith in kids like Mawson and Stones pays dividends. Yes, I know it will be much tougher in the Championship and maybe my glass is more than half full. Go on then OTIB, shoot me down.....

No, you're right. It was only Yeovil.

4 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Bristol Manor Farm beat Plymouth Parkway2-0 today as well, good game of football, only 4 pound for city season ticket holders this year

I might get myself a Manor Farm season ticket this year.

Apparently Lashenko has been trying 5-3-2 in pre season to try and be a bit more solid.

Met one of their staff in the week, been told they are targeting promotion again!

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

I might get myself a Manor Farm season ticket this year.

Apparently Lashenko has been trying 5-3-2 in pre season to try and be a bit more solid.

Met one of their staff in the week, been told they are targeting promotion again!

It was more of a 4-2-3-1 today but they switched to 5 at the back in the second half, some good attacking stuff on show against a good team promotion could happen tbf although I don't know how good the standard is in the level above

7 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It was more of a 4-2-3-1 today but they switched to 5 at the back in the second half, some good attacking stuff on show against a good team promotion could happen tbf although I don't know how good the standard is in the level above

A lot of Western League clubs do quite well in their first season up, in the Southern League but a second promotion is a bit hopeful IMO.

My understanding is the Western League is one of the strongest of the regional variants at the 9th tier. It should stand BMF in good stead for their first season in the 8th.

One thing is assured. Wherever BMF finish, it will be their highest ever position.

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

True but to be honest, I don't think that much business has been done yet by anyone. With the fees being banded about I think teams are willing to be more patient to get a good deal. There are quite a few premier league clubs that haven't signed anyone or just 1. Many clubs in our league will be looking to the league up to help fill out their squads and then if we can't get our hands on them then to the targets of teams in our division. In a perfect world we'd have our complete squad by Spain but we've got a good core and hopefully bedding 1,2 or 3 more in won't be too difficult seeing as everyone else has been together awhile now. I think we'll see a lot of movement in the top 2 English leagues in August. 

And Prem squads not announced.  Despite what LJ says (I just go with the opposite) we could easily bring in a couple of loans and suddenly we look a lot stronger.

Archived