IGNORED

OTIB changes?

Septic Peg

3 hours ago, El Hombrecito said:

Always thought the reputation thing was a bit silly. Surely if it's to be truly representative it should be based on the ratings per post? Under the current system, somebody who posts 100 times a week but posts 95% rubbish (naming no names :ph34r:) will have a higher 'reputation' than somebody who posts one quality post a week.

I'd knock the whole bloody thing on the head - it's all very tragic.

I'd rather encourage engaging discussion, debate and decent sense of community.  Not some platform for x-factor type popularism.  

Maybe keep the system of reaction to indicate you like a post, find it funny etc to save a whole series of people posting 'this', but don't keep a running record of scores.  It's very sad.

The majority of posters are supposed grown adults :blink:

40 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I'd knock the whole bloody thing on the head - it's all very tragic.

I'd rather encourage engaging discussion, debate and decent sense of community.  Not some platform for x-factor type popularism.  

Maybe keep the system of reaction to indicate you like a post, find it funny etc to save a whole series of people posting 'this', but don't keep a running record of scores.  It's very sad.

The majority of posters are supposed grown adults :blink:

I think the reaction system is quite good for gauging the mood and seeing where people stand generally.

Take that 'Wright or Flint' post the other day, loads of 'bin' reactions on the opening post; good snapshot of the general mood of the forum about a certain issue.

31 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the reaction system is quite good for gauging the mood and seeing where people stand generally.

Take that 'Wright or Flint' post the other day, loads of 'bin' reactions on the opening post; good snapshot of the general mood of the forum about a certain issue.

I'll agree with that, if it's a benefit for you.  I'd always rather read a post and make my own mind up.  The reaction system has its merits.  For me, a load of 'likes' is reassuring in that I'm grateful to know that I'm not the only one thinking whatever it is.  As said earlier, it is also better than a thread being punctuated with "spot on" and "This" posts, as happened in the old days.

What I object to is otib being reduced to a sixth form talent contest or reality TV show popularism.

Reduce the ego.

8 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I'll agree with that, if it's a benefit for you.  I'd always rather read a post and make my own mind up.  The reaction system has its merits.  For me, a load of 'likes' is reassuring in that I'm grateful to know that I'm not the only one thinking whatever it is.  As said earlier, it is also better than a thread being punctuated with "spot on" and "This" posts, as happened in the old days.

What I object to is otib being reduced to a sixth form talent contest or reality TV show popularism.

Reduce the ego.

Can see your point about that.

As mentioned though I think it's good to get a sense of the mood of the forum and show at a glance what people are feeling about a topic.

Think it's mainly designed to be a bit of fun (as well as reducing the 'this' posts) - was puzzled to see someone 'rubbishing' someone else's old posts though - how odd.

22 hours ago, Tomarse said:

So as predicted some users have felt the need to abuse the reputation system - actually going through users old posts and negative rating them all. 

As a result the dustbin reputation is now set to a neutral value and anyone who we can see who's been carrying out this sort we will simply remove all their reputations dished out. 

It's meant to be a bit of fun, don't ruin it for the entire forum thank you! 

This seems a good compromise, shame to lose it completely.

On 05/09/2017 at 16:21, Tomarse said:

So as predicted some users have felt the need to abuse the reputation system - actually going through users old posts and negative rating them all. 

As a result the dustbin reputation is now set to a neutral value and anyone who we can see who's been carrying out this sort we will simply remove all their reputations dished out. 

It's meant to be a bit of fun, don't ruin it for the entire forum thank you! 

Its pretty sad that one of Otibs own moderators is doing something very similar (albeit not old posts, just rubbishing every new post). 

Archived