IGNORED

Strike Partnership

MyBrotherErnie

Early days I know, but is anyone else hopeful about Reid and Diedhieou as a front 2? I think the combination of Reid's pace and creativity, and Famara's finishing and strength could help us be more threatening and versatile in attack. Also it looks like they're starting to bond which is always important. Without Tammy, we're going to need more goals from all over the park, but if these two step up we could have a very positive season.

Capture.JPG

Just now, Dynamite Red said:

If Bobby Reid is our answer for a Championship striker we will be playing league one football next season. Goals against Bath, Bristol Manor Farm, Exeter and some shite Spanish team proves nothing.:facepalm:

Bit harsh I think. Better than not scoring at all.

I'd never have seen him as a forward but will reserve judgement until I've actually watched him play there in competitive games.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Bit harsh I think. Better than not scoring at all.

I'd never have seen him as a forward but will reserve judgement until I've actually watched him play there in competitive games.

It's not harsh, he has never played as as a striker, he is lightweight, looses possession easily,  he has shown regularly last season he is inconsistent and wasteful in front of goal. If he is the answer then I guess the question is how quickly can we get relegated. I doubt John Terry etc.. are concerned about facing Bobby Reid.

23 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

It's not harsh, he has never played as as a striker, he is lightweight, looses possession easily,  he has shown regularly last season he is inconsistent and wasteful in front of goal. If he is the answer then I guess the question is how quickly can we get relegated. I doubt John Terry etc.. are concerned about facing Bobby Reid.

Let's see how he gets on. I've never rated him that highly either, but we should give him the benefit of the doubt for a bit. It doesn't really matter who the opposition is, he IS scoring goals. Can't ask much more than that.

This is an important season for Bobby Reid. I rate him quite quite highly, but it's now time for him to nail down a place in the starting 11 by finding some consistency and being more clinical in front of goal. His movement is good and he's creative and it looks like his involvement and performances in the friendlies (albeit against weak opposition) mean he will be in the side when the season starts. Hope he does well. Let's see.

1 hour ago, Dynamite Red said:

If Bobby Reid is our answer for a Championship striker we will be playing league one football next season. Goals against Bath, Bristol Manor Farm, Exeter and some shite Spanish team proves nothing.:facepalm:

How many have Diedhiou, Đurić, Taylor, Engvall and Wilbraham scored against the same opposition?

I think, but dont know, that together its 1/7th of Reid's total.

He starts v Barnsley imo and we go from there.

1 hour ago, Dynamite Red said:

Hence the "Harsh". Any chance of watching him play in a new position before deciding he cant play there?

34 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

How many have Diedhiou, Đurić, Taylor, Engvall and Wilbraham scored against the same opposition?

I think, but dont know, that together its 1/7th of Reid's total.

He starts v Barnsley imo and we go from there.

Đurić, Taylor and Wilbraham havent played a single minute, all injured or getting fit. Diedhiou only played 2 games. On Bobby Reid, fair play to him. He's showing good signs and as city fans we need to praise that but its true that this is against Yeovil, Manor farm and some 3rd tier Spanish team. We'll see if he can do it against Barnsley, Brentford and Birmingham. COYR

Copy/paste of something I put on another forum last night

This has to be the season he (Reid) makes a big step forward. He's been very good in pre-season, his finishing particularly.

I don't think finishing was his issue, but more his composure, when he's under pressure and has less time he fluffs his lines.

If he has worked on his composure then we could well see a few more goals from him this season, rather than those misses.

At the moment we have two options, Reid and Engvall. Romario, Bebeto, Owen, Messi and so on. A fw can be small and good. BR have done it well in this position, he or Engvall will start 5 aug. Think Reid. Unusual thinking fr.o.m. LJ  but it may work. Bobby is creative and fast thinking player, along Famara it can work.

as usual negative vibes invade a thread, it seems the pattern all the way on the forum. the people expressing them always say they are debate points but are nearly always the same authors.

been around this club a long time and nothing has changed in the eyes of many. no matter who the manager is or the team are we seem to look for the negatives.

the season is yet to start lets give it a chance and by the way if you are ready to give up if it is a poor start how can you expect different from those you will be slating.

I have usually got a view/opinion on everything but I really can't decide how this will play out. Love the mention of John Terry, I can see Terry putting Reid into the back row of the Dolman and not breaking sweat for 90 minutes, equally I can see Reid nutmegging him before curling one into the net followed by his movement and slick passing giving the ageing Terry a torrid afternoon. Please, let it be the latter.

On 12/07/2017 at 00:18, Davefevs said:

Don't start many topics, so readying myself for the flames.

Bobby Reid has started 3 games up front (or very advanced if not a true striker), albeit against lesser opponents and scored 3 times (1 in each).

Could he come into contention with Taylor, Đurić, Tomlin etc injured?

I think he gets a little lost in the no10, and his best performances were early last season in a two with O'Neil.  I think he may have something as a forward (not out and out striker), is a willing runner, and can be creative.

Scored 4 in 2 since I started a thread on this subject.

i think there is a bit of an over-reaction.  In effect we have a mini striker injury crisis.  Let's just assume that Diedhiou is first choice, then if all are fit LJ probably thinks that Đurić and Taylor are his options to pair with the ex-Angers man.  Both are injured. Then you've got Wilbraham (injured) and Engvall - who unless he suddenly gets more minutes against Cheltenham and FC Twente, is not gonna start v Barnsley.  So what does LJ do?  He's tried Reid, a player with better attacking instincts than defensive ones, and in fairness the boy has done more than expected.  He's doing this, I guess in the hope that Taylor can recover in time, but at least he has an option.

I've discounted Hinds at this point, he will only be considered as cover, I'm sure.  Fair play to him for getting himself in a position that LJ has recognised him.

So, surely we need to be bringing in another striker, a starter?  If we do really need one, it's an admission that Taylor, Đurić (and Engvall) are not 1st choice to pair with Diedhiou once fit.  We'll end up with a bloated set of forwards....and we'll all be questioning wasted £s.

Lets see:

1. Whether Taylor is fit to start the season (I'm not keen on him personally, but that's another story / thread)

2. Whether Reid is a capable replacement

3. Whether anyone (possibly 6 month loan) comes in

11 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

I don't think that Bobby is the answer up top but stranger swops have happened and worked . Did our poor old beleaguered keeper FF not play left back before putting on the gloves!!

Just now, shelts said:

Did our poor old beleaguered keeper FF not play left back before putting on the gloves!!

Cashley started as right back. Given the TARDIS, we could have had a useful pair of defenders.

11 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

We need a yawn emoticon.

Why are some people so closed minded? Give the guy a shot, of course the opposition have been weak but he can't do much more to be given a chance. 

5 minutes ago, Ohbasso said:

I don't see why you'd need Durex as well, I think that he'd do a job up there on his own.

Durex is a Goalie. Stops all the shots and collects all the dribbles. Dildo on the other hand, is useful up front or at the back. :P

Back on thread; I would be concerned if any of our forwards had not been scoring against opposition that's weaker than we will be playing in a few weeks.

12 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

This statement may well come back to bite after a few weeks of the season. Why don't you just give him a chance and a bit of support from the stands if he does start up top against Barnsley. I bet you can't wait for him to miss a chance so you can get on his back. If we would have signed Diedhou a few weeks earlier and he would have banged in 7 in 4 games everyone would be saying we've got an absolute gem on our hands here. We all know how good Bobby can be, Hull last season where he gave Huddleston and Livermore the run around for example, so let's get behind the lad and get his confidence up instead of slating him.

"Is anyone else hopeful about Reid and Diedhieou as a front 2?" Sorry, but reading this has spoiled  my weekend. We've got to get real about "young" Bobby Reid (aged 24). At no stage in his career has he shown any consistency with his finishing or his form in general, apart from when he played in League Two for Plymouth. He's had a good pre-season scoring against very low level teams and sudddenly he's the new messiah! I keep hearing the comments "you can only score against who you are playing against" as defence of his goal scoring against lower level teams, but things don't work like that. If it did City could just sign a couple of forwards from Manor Farm or Brislington etc. Occasional there are non league players like Jamie Vardy who are natural goal scorers and can make the leap to a higher level, but Reid isn't one of them. Even Taylor who scored for fun in leagues one and two struggled in the Championship 

YB has been at the club since primary school iirc.

He's now 24, so not so YB.

Surely in all that time, under numerous coaches ( including LJ himself previously when YB was 14) someone would have noticed if there was a potential Championship quality forward in him?

Especially considering his long struggle since becoming a pro. to make his mark in City's midfield, climaxing last season with the midfield being structured specifically to make him the 3rd man in a move and maximising his shooting opportunities, a failed strategy ( or choice of individual) arguably detrimental to the team as a whole, which culminated in a run of misses so repetitively dreadful they necessitated his removal from the team altogether.

His awful finishing over 7 first team seasons just might be the reason numerous previous coaches have not rated him as a forward.

A run of goals against extremely weak opposition is hardly likely to convince fans, who have held their heads in disbelief so often at his wayward finishing, that it gives any reason to believe he is suddenly going to transform into Championship quality up front.

18 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

"Is anyone else hopeful about Reid and Diedhieou as a front 2?" Sorry, but reading this has spoiled  my weekend. We've got to get real about "young" Bobby Reid (aged 24). At no stage in his career has he shown any consistency with his finishing or his form in general, apart from when he played in League Two for Plymouth. He's had a good pre-season scoring against very low level teams and sudddenly he's the new messiah! I keep hearing the comments "you can only score against who you are playing against" as defence of his goal scoring against lower level teams, but things don't work like that. If it did City could just sign a couple of forwards from Manor Farm or Brislington etc. Occasional there are non league players like Jamie Vardy who are natural goal scorers and can make the leap to a higher level, but Reid isn't one of them. Even Taylor who scored for fun in leagues one and two struggled in the Championship 

If you read some posts properly, not everyone being positive about him is going as far as calling them the messiah.  Some of us are saying he has given us an 'option' during an small injury crisis to our forward line.  Take away Tomlin's (messiah??) penalties last season and Reid's goal return was better, plus he ran around a lot more too.

He isn't a long term answer, but you can't just go out and bring players in willy-nilly either.

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Copy/paste of something I put on another forum last night

This has to be the season he (Reid) makes a big step forward. He's been very good in pre-season, his finishing particularly.

I don't think finishing was his issue, but more his composure, when he's under pressure and has less time he fluffs his lines.

If he has worked on his composure then we could well see a few more goals from him this season, rather than those misses.

I agree with you James, this is a big season for Bobby. I'm not sure if it will work having him up front - time will obviously tell. But I'm also not sure about his finishing, or composure....look at the vid below from 38 seconds in, he showed good composure but not a brill finish, although the keeper did well. Never thought we'd be debating Bobby as a striker! Who knows...

Mind you, Flint's positioning a few seconds after that on the vid left a lot to be desired too!

Archived