IGNORED

So, a week and a bit to the big kick off...

We are trying to sign quality players. LJs words . Surely people must understand how difficult that is for our club . If we're so say competing with the like of apparently Lyon for players. I'm not surprised it's taking a long time. We made so many mistakes in the past we surely have to learn from that. Don't sign someone for the sake of it . If it's Aug the 28th then I agree we could be in deep shit . But until that scenario . People need to get a grip 

Actually (and I know that is not allowed on here) I can see some truth in both sides of this argument.

It is the case that we are looking to operate with a smaller squad and a few of the younger players (Magnússon & O'Dowda in particular) will have greater experience of this league this season. It may also give opportunities to some that previously seemed out of favour too.

However it is hard to believe it was ever our intention to start the season having made just 2 signings, neither of whom have ever played in England.

Yes, we probably will add a player or two by the end of August but they will have done their pre season elsewhere and missed the bonding part of Tenerife, too.

I also don't buy the "we are better off without Tomlin or a replacement" line, even if he was disruptive he was a squad regular and has not been replaced.

The ham fisted way we have dealt with the Engvall business also suggests to me certain people at the club are not as smart as they think they are. Imagine if the Swedish club had come up with the money, with no new signings imminent apparently according to LJ we'd then be frighteningly short up front.

I do think on balance there are more parallels with the first season up than some want to admit. Yes, we do have more squad depth but an injury to the new striker or Frankie and we look in real difficulty.

Others (Barnsley and Brentford spring immediately to mind), do seem to have this better planned and whilst I get that we cannot compete with the Villas and Boro they are our realistic competition.

I'm with Neo and Graham C...underwhelmed but able to see both sides of the argument. I can't help noticing that whatever buzz and excitement had been created around Bristol City a year ago...new stand, bigger capacity, ambitious signings...has rather evaporated.

The most disappointing seasons of the recent past have been those in which it very quickly became evident that the squad was unable to compete and we were relying on there being three worse teams. Unless remarkable progress has been made over the summer it's hard to predict that this group of players will be anything other than mediocre at Championship level...and with a still unproven manager and backroom team, and some preseason matches against sides unlike any we'll be competing with, it's hard to have a lot of confidence that such progress has been made. So I'm looking forward to the start of the season, but thinking that we will learn a lot from the first few matches, which are against the sorts of sides we have to match if we're to have a comfortable season.

59 minutes ago, citywest30 said:

This thread seems pretty standard OTIB - the two polar views being argued. I am definitely with the optimists for a number of reasons:

Firstly, we seem to be doing well in preseason. albeit against poor opposition

Secondly,  as others have said, a number of young players go into this season with a year's experience of Championship under their belt. just like other teams/squads

One of our best players - Korey - has a preseason behind him. seems injury prone and unlikely to start every game

Bobby Reid seems to have discovered the knack of finishing. see answer 1 above

Two exciting signings in the form of Pisano and Diedhiou covering the two vital positions where we were weakest (some may argue there are still some) unproven in this div

Signs of some youngsters pushing on - in particular Kelly and Hinds. again unlikely to start subs bench best hope

Effectively a new signing in the form of Engvall - am genuinely excited to see what the season brings with him. will he play games, at the expense of who? subs bencher

Still holding on to our best players in Flint and Bryan (though I'd actually be ok with either leaving for the right price). they would be the final pieces in losing the spine of our team

I bet there are other positives too, it's just whether you want to focus on them rather than the negatives. you have to strive for hope I suppose or its face reality

On the other hand ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

It looks like he's going to go with the same kind of team that finished the season. Narrow 4411. Pisano, diedhiou and possibly Reid in for little, tammy and Taylor. And i expect a new goalie instead of fielding. Once we have that goalie, we need about another 3 quality players to compete with that side. If we can't get our targets then I expect he'll bring in loans. So not a lot to worry about imo, as there's over a month till the window closes. 

I expect a repeat of last season, team chopped and changed almost weekly,  win a few lose more, unable to kill teams off, run round a lot, look forward to the next window and then wonder if there will be 3 worse teams again. 

The most successful clubs have TEAMS . 

Our most successful period in the last fifty years we had with a TEAM who played together regularly and knew each other's game , strengths and weaknesses.

Since those days the club have tried to buy a team and rarely had the courage to let the players present ' gel ' and improve their game .

I can , in part , understand this because we are nearly always either battling for promotion from the third division or fighting relegation in the second .

Maybe , just maybe , this year will be different and we run with a team. 

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

I expect a repeat of last season, team chopped and changed almost weekly,  win a few lose more, unable to kill teams off, run round a lot, look forward to the next window and then wonder if there will be 3 worse teams again. 

Why don't you support Chelsea or Man City ? We're one of 80 teams who are all hoping for the best under the circumstances that their under. There aren't to many many Messiahs out there who can magic up football success. 

Bristol City are batting at about their historical and financial position and aren't going to thrash teams week  in and out. The owner has set about a strategic policy and the manager is doing his best within that. 

I'm optimistic short-term and long-term, I've seen the highs and the lows and where we are now isn't to bad . 

20 minutes ago, redapple said:

Why don't you support Chelsea or Man City ? We're one of 80 teams who are all hoping for the best under the circumstances that their under. There aren't to many many Messiahs out there who can magic up football success. 

Bristol City are batting at about their historical and financial position and aren't going to thrash teams week  in and out. The owner has set about a strategic policy and the manager is doing his best within that. 

I'm optimistic short-term and long-term, I've seen the highs and the lows and where we are now isn't to bad . 

True as according to that historical chart of where each team finished every season we were exactly where we should have been. This is our level and let's see if year by year we can try progress it. 

I've been largely quiet this summer simply because I cannot get enthused over our pre-season or our dealings in the transfer market.

As a fan, all I ever really want to see from City is progression and for me we've shown a somewhat mood-killing lack of it in recent times, whether that be our choice of pre-season opponents or our lacklustre movements in strengthening the squad.

I can't get hyped over Bobby Reid knocking in goals against teams of the caliber we've been playing. I don't think that's me being a kill-joy but just perhaps the cynicism that comes with many years of supporting City with that lingering knowledge that somehow, we always contrive to **** up.

In my mind we still need 3 or 4 additions to the squad, 1 of which may need to be a goalkeeper given that Frankie has been injured several times in his stay with us.

A few of the pundits are tipping us for relegation. I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I also don't see us moving any higher than 17th this year - as things stand.

It still comes down to the question of whether last season saw a good team suffering an awful blip or a bad team having 2 periods of above average form.

The squad was either woefully inadequate last season and has lost 2 goalscoring players, or it was actually above average and has lost the troublemaker that caused the poor run.

Only time will tell.

One thing I would point out to those making the point that other teams' players will also be a year more experienced: that's true, but that can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the age of the squad. Ours is young and should improve with time. Other clubs have much older squads and those may well deteriorate with time. It would be quite silly to assume that every other club will progress at the same rate as us or better, just as it would be to assume the opposite.

4 hours ago, Mtimmy11 said:

No there not ,just the fans who can see though all the bull were being told

Exaggerating every little thing and then throwing a paddy sounds like a drama queen to me.

Could things be better? Absolutely.

Are they anywhere as bad as you pretend? Absolutely not.

3 hours ago, glos old boy said:

On the other hand ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Like I said, just depends on whether you want to concentrate on the positives. I agree with all you say except that I think our squad more than many others will have benefited from the season's experience as we had many untried or relatively untried at that level - O'Dowda, Hörður, Brownhill etc.

I, for one, am optimistic.

On the face of it, we've made very few signings for this season.

In reality, we made loads of signings last season, and most of them were for this season or later. Engval, and Moore are examples of this, and they are two names I expect to see around the first team this season. Taylor too, now that he's had a full pre-season with us, and has had a taste of the level in the Championship.

read this thread and wondered when the moaning was going to stop.

everything is a big stick to beat the club with. they are damned if they do and damned if they do not.

so we have not brought loads of players in but last 2 windows were wrong for signing too many.

we are wrong to put academy players in because they are not good enough(how will you know till you try) and wrong to block their path to the first team with loans

seems most will not be content till S.L. spends a fortune but the same people think prices are too high.

conclusion most of this forum just want a good moan and its easy to do on line.

2 hours ago, redapple said:

Answer to your question, "I have been here since before the Dolman Stand was built, I`ve followed my club to most grounds some of which aren't even here anymore; I was a season ticket holder in the Dolman for the first 2 yrs after it was built and I have been to many, many hundreds of games home and away. There is in fact no stand here now that was here when I first supported my club; I too have been to the top division and bottom division watching my club" so nah I wont go support Chelsea or anyone else.

Sad really that you mr ?mrs? miss? redapple should ask such a "stupid question" just because I don't share your present faith/belief in our current team/manager/owner but like everything that will pass one day and then maybe my hopes will return. :pray:

22 minutes ago, generation1 said:

everything is a big stick to beat the club with. they are damned if they do and damned if they do not.

so we have not brought loads of players in but last 2 windows were wrong for signing too many.

we are wrong to put academy players in because they are not good enough(how will you know till you try) and wrong to block their path to the first team with loans

seems most will not be content till S.L. spends a fortune but the same people think prices are too high.

Nail. Head.

1 hour ago, citywest30 said:

Like I said, just depends on whether you want to concentrate on the positives. I agree with all you say except that I think our squad more than many others will have benefited from the season's experience as we had many untried or relatively untried at that level - O'Dowda, Hörður, Brownhill etc.

I, for one, am optimistic.

I was optimistic in the past, :yes: the last time was when we played Hull, its bloody painful so it will be a while till next time.

39 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Answer to your question, "I have been here since before the Dolman Stand was built, I`ve followed my club to most grounds some of which aren't even here anymore; I was a season ticket holder in the Dolman for the first 2 yrs after it was built and I have been to many, many hundreds of games home and away. There is in fact no stand here now that was here when I first supported my club; I too have been to the top division and bottom division watching my club" so nah I wont go support Chelsea or anyone else.

Interesting fact that. Hadn't really thought of that. Obvious now you've mentioned it. Just goes to show how much progress we are making so I'm not going to be a doom merchant.

I stood on the old terrace before the Dolman was built. Was a regular to away games on the coach to Ninian Park Cardiff and Newport County. Went to Wigan's old ground too. Would I want to go back to those days ? Progress has been made on and off the pitch. Bristol as a football city isn't considered fashionable but maybe we can change peoples conception of that. To be able to attract top quality players to our club that's what has to happen. To be talked of with respect in the same breath as Villa Wolves Sunderland ? West Brom Southampton etc and to be able to compete for better players signatures with them should be the aim. We haven't been able to do that in the past so we need to be patient. I think we are doing things the right way. If the right players become available at the right price then great. I'm not going to have a moan at LJ  MA. I'm sure everything is being done to try and get players in that are going to benefit the team. In the mean time let's wait and see shall we.

Probably a bit overstated in the original post but I think it's fair to say this squad is slightly weaker than at the end of last season.  Pisano hopefully is better than Little, Deidhiou may be very good but it's unlikely he will be as successful as Tammy, and Tomlin going leaves us without anybody who can really get on the ball and threaten and create at this level.

None of the younger players are likely to play any big part in this season either, you'll see people out of position before that happens.  The "development squad" can be effectively ignored for first team purposes, mostly they'll go on loan.

We need to sign a first choice keeper, a left sided player depending on where you're going to play Joe Bryan, and a right winger. 

We could do with moving on two or three central midfielders and bringing in one who can really run the game at this level in particular going forward.  Hegeler may be able to do this if played in the correct position, but will need time as he was so underutilised last season.

If Engvall stays we're probably alright up front once Đurić and Taylor are fit, but if not that's worth looking at too.  Reid isn't going to be effective there in the Championship, I hope LJ was joking about that.

The signings aside, I want to see a coherent pattern to how we play and a consistent selection.  We should know our best XI and stick to it for a while and give it a chance.

14 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

What you have to look at is the team who were already here had either their first taste of Championship Football or first taste of English Football last season. Players like Magnússon, Hegeler, Brownhill, O'Dowda, Lucic, Reid, Paterson (feel he has potential) & Moore.

Well, that's not too accurate, Paterson had played nearly 100 games in the championship over five seasons before he joined us and Bobby Reid has played around 70 games in the championship and more than half of those were before last season...and Josh Brownhill had played in the championship before last season too...

A tad melodramatic me thinks.ok we've only made 2 signings and lost Tammy and Tommo,although regarding Tomlin maybe not such a loss.But i'd rather us not panic buy crap players and regret it.Im sure we will have a couple of signings this week or early next week and bear in mind a lot of players that did'nt feature last season will be more prominent this term.Chin up and keep the faith.:fingerscrossed:

2 hours ago, generation1 said:

I'd simply observe that SL has spent a fortune, and on the pitch delivered very little. It may well be our historic position to bump around the bottom of the second tier or more usually at the top of the third, but I don't recall that being the height of our ambitions, or his...in fact I recall us being in the top flight in my youth and almost getting back there a decade ago. If there's moaning it may be because we've seen it all before, and because expectations were raised that after three, or was it four, "windows" we'd have a team to compete. Maybe we have, maybe we haven't, time will tell, but the promises of jam tomorrow ring a little hollow after a while. 

9 hours ago, City Ben said:

I think it's absolutely fair to say that in terms of player-for-player swaps, it seems that Deedoo < Tammy and Pisano <?> Little (too early to tell on that one). Tomlin is another debate!

So in those simple terms, yes I would agree that our squad seems weaker. 

However I think that assessment overlooks the fact that our existing players won't be the same as they were last year. They're a young bunch, they will have improved. It also ignores the idea that we are a team, rather than a collection of players. Who knows, as a team things could be set to operate a lot more smoothly this year with everyone pointing in the same direction. I actually think this last point is critical, the most successful clubs are TEAMS not a series of individual players. It's not all about new signings, it's also improving what you have. 

Agree, Tammy and Tomlin gone. Tomlin a very very good player, but the team works better without him.  If we where Barca, Real or Bayern we could afford to have a player like Tomlin but we are Bristol City. Tammy scored and scored, we van not have one player when it time to score. Tammy saved us last season, now its time for others to score. Without those two players we have to play with a team and gameplane. Will Think that we have lots of creative players that really can make a team.

17 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

And we have made 2 signings! 2 to add to the pile of shit that we had last season!!! One to replace Tammy which is practically impossible!

A couple of bids out there but nothing imminent!

Is the club for real?! This is worse than pre season under Cotts in our first season back in the championship!

When we eventually sign someone no doubt we will hear 'take time to settle in'. Yes, that's what pre season is for!!!

Don't panic though cus we will have Bobby Reid leading the line cus he can bang them in for fun against part timers/lower league opposition!

A few weeks back a was regretting not renewing my season ticket. Couldn't justify the cost as my enjoyment in going down had been completely destroyed. Now I feel relieved and sorry for anyone who did!

IMG_3931.PNG

17 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

And we have made 2 signings! 2 to add to the pile of shit that we had last season!!! One to replace Tammy which is practically impossible!

A couple of bids out there but nothing imminent!

Is the club for real?! This is worse than pre season under Cotts in our first season back in the championship!

When we eventually sign someone no doubt we will hear 'take time to settle in'. Yes, that's what pre season is for!!!

Don't panic though cus we will have Bobby Reid leading the line cus he can bang them in for fun against part timers/lower league opposition!

A few weeks back a was regretting not renewing my season ticket. Couldn't justify the cost as my enjoyment in going down had been completely destroyed. Now I feel relieved and sorry for anyone who did!

Could you prune the exclamation marks a little, please? They're giving me a headache and don't add anything to what you say.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well, that's not too accurate, Paterson had played nearly 100 games in the championship over five seasons before he joined us and Bobby Reid has played around 70 games in the championship and more than half of those were before last season...and Josh Brownhill had played in the championship before last season too...

Brownhill was at Barnsley who were L1 the season before last.

Paterson has potential thats why I put him in that bracket, as does Reid.

Archived