IGNORED

The Obvious Reason we have made few signings

Londoner

Because of the ridiculous panic buys from last season....amidst the appalling run of form SL was forced to sign a range of average footballers.....unfortunately putting a dent in this season's recruitment.

Why did we sign Đurić, Taylor, Hegeler?...they have all been bit part players who have made a limit contribution to this side....And let's be honest, based on what we have seen they are squad players and do not improve our first xi.

By signing them they have helped us stay up....but push us onto the next level.....doubtful.

Hegeler - LJ has no idea where to play him or what his best position is.

Đurić- sick note clearly who from what I have seen is not an improvement on wilbs.

Taylor- did well in creating opportunities for others but does he have the composure and quality to be a top goalscorer at this level....again, no.

Engvall- 2 pre season goals dont hide the fact that 2mil plus looks like a Stryvar esc signing but far worse.

I would argue we are significantly weaker than this time lastseason....no kodjia Tammy Tomlin with o'neil and wilbs another year older.

Pack and Smith in the most uninspiring middle two in theleague....so much pressure on pato and Bobby to create and score....where are the goals going to come from.....

We know English talent is more expensive but sorry I for one wouldn't mind us splashing a bit more for someone we know can have a significant impact in this league, plenty available, i have names, but the £ is a barrier when it shouldnt be......as for the foreign signings jury well and truly out and if we do not make a good start we could be in serious trouble.....no Rotherhams to help us this season.

On another note, LJ I suspect there is no chance SL will afford you the same generosity as last season regarding time....we need progress we haven't seen it in terms of transfers, which isn't going to help you.....but if we don't see it on the pitch you could be in big trouble.

Sorry for the doom and gloom. But the truth.

3 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Because of the ridiculous panic buys from last season....amidst the appalling run of form SL was forced to sign a range of average footballers.....unfortunately putting a dent in this season's recruitment.

Why did we sign Đurić, Taylor, Hegeler?...they have all been bit part players who have made a limit contribution to this side....And let's be honest, based on what we have seen they are squad players and do not improve our first xi.

By signing them they have helped us stay up....but push us onto the next level.....doubtful.

Đurić- sick note clearly who from what I have seen is not an improvement on wilbs.

Taylor- did well in creating opportunities for others but does he have the composure and quality to be a top goalscorer at this level....again, no.

Engvall- 2 pre season goals dont hide the fact that 2mil plus looks like a Stryvar esc signing but far worse.

I would argue we are significantly weaker than this time lastseason....no kodjia Tammy Tomlin with o'neil and wilbs another year older.

Pack and Smith in the most uninspiring middle two in theleague....so much pressure on pato and Bobby to create and score....where are the goals going to come from.....

We know English talent is more expensive but sorry I for one wouldn't mind us splashing a bit more for someone we know can have a significant impact in this league, plenty available, i have names, but the £ is a barrier when it shouldnt be......as for the foreign signings jury well and truly out and if we do not make a good start we could be in serious trouble.....no Rotherhams to help us this season.

On another note, LJ I suspect there is no chance SL will afford you the same generosity as last season regarding time....we need progress we haven't seen it in terms of transfers, which isn't going to help you.....but if we don't see it on the pitch you could be in big trouble.

If we didn't sign Taylor last season we would have been relegated!!! Simple as that.

10 minutes ago, Londoner said:

In YOUR humble opinion .

12 minutes ago, Londoner said:

:laugh: Doom and gloom doesn't really cover it........can't argue with it mind you.

I must admit to wondering what is happening to further signings. Does Johnson  really believe as he has stated that the current squad is good enough and there fore are we not really chasing new players. Or are we missing out consistently to other clubs. Either way it is a worry.

What is the 'obvious reason' then Mr. Academic? Wasn't terribly clear from your post.

By put a 'dent' in this summer's recruitment, do you mean financially? 

20 minutes ago, Londoner said:

We know English talent is more expensive but sorry I for one wouldn't mind us splashing a bit more for someone we know can have a significant impact in this league, plenty available, i have names, but the £ is a barrier when it shouldnt b

Who are your names? Do you mean just English? What's wrong with the other British Isles! What about foreign players who have played here and established themselves in English football?

The alternative obvious reason why we have made so few signings:

Maybe, just maybe, the multiple players we signed under 22 last summer (Engvall, Brownhill, O'Dowda, Moore, Lucic), in addition to the academy players (Vyner, Kelly, McClouskey) are now considered ready to step up and save us splashing on average squad fillers in line with our strategy, and to encourage other promising young players there is a pathway. But we'll splash out on quality if needed (Famara - basing that on tag).

Nah, that couldn't be it. There had to be another reason....

I think what might off happend is L.J. has asked lansdown jnr to ask dad for a few quid but dad has said what happend to all that money I gave you and your little friend lee to play with last year.Until you both can look after your pocket money don't ask me to give you anymore.Now go away because the rugby has started.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What is the 'obvious reason' then Mr. Academic? Wasn't terribly clear from your post.

By put a 'dent' in this summer's recruitment, do you mean financially? 

Who are your names? Do you mean just English? What's wrong with the other British Isles! What about foreign players who have played here and established themselves in English football?

This was the other bit that grabbed me.

I'd like to see the OP give a list of said names who may be available, offer proven quality, are English, would come to one of (let's be frank) the middling champ clubs at best and would do so for reasons of improving themselves and contributing rather than the cold hard cash. But won't hold breath.

5 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

I think what might off happend is L.J. has asked lansdown jnr to ask dad for a few quid but dad has said what happend to all that money I gave you and your little friend lee to play with last year.Until you both can look after your pocket money don't ask me to give you anymore.Now go away because the rugby has started.

But here is £5.2 million to buy a striker with!

It's not outrageous to be concerned with our prospects for the season. Everyone thinks voicing concern is negativity but if the season starts poorly and we dont have options we may me in trouble. 

I fear for us this season, i hope so much im just being a drama queen but don't trust LJ at all given his questionable signings and broken record losing steaks ... i hope to god I'm wrong but im worried. 

@Londoner - there is a lot in your post that I agree with and a lot I disagree with. Unfortunately the parts I agree with are quite depressing and, if true, don't bode well for the future.  On the other hand LJ may produce two or three good signings before the window closes and it will be onwards and upwards. 

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

Your version of your perceived truth, nothing more nothing less, but not the 'truth' you need evidence for truth and a ball has not been kicked in anger as yet.

7 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

It's not outrageous to be concerned with our prospects for the season. Everyone thinks voicing concern is negativity but if the season starts poorly and we dont have options we may me in trouble. 

I fear for us this season, i hope so much im just being a drama queen but don't trust LJ at all given his questionable signings and broken record losing steaks ... i hope to god I'm wrong but im worried. 

No it's not but to portray it as truth is total and utter BS.

:disapointed2se:  These threads full of negativity have become truly wearisome..........

We all know that LJ is in for the run so why not accept the things you cannot change and get behind him and support the club.

All the repeated whinging gets us absolutely nowhere.

I think it's fair to be concerned about the season ahead. But absolutely no doubt the club want to, and are trying their best to bring in a few more faces. So like last year everyone just has to be patient again. Especially for any premier league loans, remember Tammy came in pretty late on last year. LJ and MA don't need to come out every few days and tell us the transfer market is difficult, we should all know that by now. Just look around at other people business to get a feel.

I think it's also fair to assume though that we will see an improvement with more consistency from several of our young squad. The likes of Paterson, Brownhill, O'Dowda and Bobby for example. So we can hope to see the 'top 10' form we saw at the start and end of the season more consistently this time.

I think it is also fair to say that we will not see the same level of 'disruption' behind the scenes this season too. It's clear that Tomlin and perhaps a few others played up when they didn't agree with LJ, clearly a few of them thought LJ was a dead man walking. But the chairman stuck by him, and the players now know exactly where they stand now. Play for the manager/club or find a new one. Tomlin. Some on here claim others are equally discontented, but the squad looked disciplined, professional, unified and motivated at Cheltenham, so we will see. 

Of course we will desperately miss Tammy, but I think we will look to get goals from all areas this season, and there are goals in the team. This is all somewhat 'wishful thinking' or 'blind faith' as some will call it. But isn't that being a football fan is? Either way, new signings don't mean guaranteed success, every signing is a bit of a leap of faith, as we've seen, some work, some don't. 

I think we've got enough about our squad to be more consistent this term, things could well click. But if we find ourselves struggling again early on, I can't imagine LJ will have the same stay of execution he had last season.

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

:disapointed2se:  These threads full of negativity have become truly wearisome..........

We all know that LJ is in for the run so why not accept the things you cannot change and get behind him and support the club.

All the repeated whinging gets us absolutely nowhere.

Why is it negative to express an opinion that all is not well? Everyone is entitled to an opinion. What I feel is truly wearisum is people complaining about other people's opinions that are different to their own 

Archived