IGNORED

Nathan Baker - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Son of Nob

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

That may well be the case Chip but it doesn't affect the comparison of their strengths and weaknesses does it?

Nope, but that comes down to opinion. I personally think they offer very similar skill sets, with Baker being better on the ball and better when being attacked on the ground. Baker seemed popular when here so should fit in. Remember; when Baker was here he played with Flint who would have continued to play the '1st ball winning' role that Naker is probably best suited to. I would have preferred to see someone with a bit more 'ability' come in, but I'd also prefer to drive a Ferrari instead of a Skoda. Sometimes you have to take the best you can get

31 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I remember Baker and Flint on the verge of a really strong and impressive partnership last time around. But doesn't Nathan Baker have some sort of persistent back problem?

He had his moments in a pretty poor season and when he played well- he was class but seemingly let down by a certain  lack of enthusiasm/disconnect combined with the fact that he looked like he could get sent off at any moment in an El Abd type way.

Was it Baker who was sent off and a number of posters on here felt it was deliberate  cos he didn't want to play? Or was that just Thatch?

All valid concerns.

So nice when threads can be moved over from the transfer rumour thread. I must say I wasn't aware of this until a couple of hours ago so quite a surprise all done so fast. Still worried for Flint though but realise it's probably happening. Welcome back Nathan.

What a singing! Imagine a Flint - Baker pairing! I realise that this is probably as good an indicator we'll get that Aden is off, but corrrrrrrr. Villa fans seem to reckon he's "the best defender in the league".

Just now, ZiderEyed said:

What a singing! Imagine a Flint - Baker pairing! I realise that this is probably as good an indicator we'll get that Aden is off, but corrrrrrrr. Villa fans seem to reckon he's "the best defender in the league".

We've seen it before.

7 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Does anyone else feel annoyed about what this would mean for Magnússon's chances? I was hoping he would get back in the side but seems unlikely if we sign Baker.

maggers at left back with bryan infront of him?

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Just looked at O'Neil's twitter feed, that tweet isn't on it. Has he deleted it? Was it ever posted? And what does 'Failed to load Tweet' at the bottom mean?

Yes he deleted it. It had loaded on my feed but when I went to re-open it it said 'Failed to load tweet' as O'Neil had deleted it by then.

8 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Does anyone else feel annoyed about what this would mean for Magnússon's chances? I was hoping he would get back in the side but seems unlikely if we sign Baker.

Not really. Based on what I've seen Baker is a better player. 

Delighted with this signing. If he's a Flint replacement he's probably the best we could have got, but if he's to be paired with Flint we are going to have one of the best central defensive partnerships in the league. Well done to LJ/SL/the rest of the club.

3 hours ago, Saunders87 said:

I know he said he won't play 3 at the back but we now the players to play 3 at the back. 

Ripley

.            Wright Flint Baker

Pisano.                               Bryan

Smith    Brownhill

O'Dowda                   Patterson

Diedhiou 

looks good on paper 

No it doesn't. Bryan and Baker down the left in that formation the season before last was disastrous. Both got pulled out of position too much. 

I think we've signed him now so we're not left in a difficult position if Flint were to leave late in the window.

(We were fortunate Tammy had the impact he did with Kodjia leaving late on)

If Flint stays then great. If he goes then we're still quite comfortable in that area with no need to panic.

Happy with this. If, as now looks more likely, Flint did leave, then we needed a solid, experienced Championship-quality centre half to try and replace him, despite the suggestions from some that what we already had was adequate. Baker fits the bill perfectly, plus he already knows the club which is an added bonus.

Archived