IGNORED

Nathan Baker - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Son of Nob

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The way I see it, that's the case whether Baker is here or not so doesn't take the gloss off of a very good signing for me. 

you could look at it another way and the way lansdown has always said he'd do business,

If a player became available and it was to good to turn down he'd sanction the move,

Baker may have only just become available and may of liked the club and johnson which put us in the driving seat,

Theres' your straws to clutch too ;) 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Leadership - Baker 

Organisation of a back 4 - Baker (although Flint has improved)

Booking waiting to happen - I get that, but imho Flint is too nice.  Would like to have seen him go through his marker more often.  Imagine he'd have made a strong challenge on Che Adams early doors?  Flint could've been more imposing than he was.

Decent....2 years left on contract.

Mmmm, wondered this too.  Was Baker allegedly on £40k of at Villa?

Agree with this, always thought the same about Jamie McCombe, far to nice for a for big ugly center half!!!

44 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Does anyone else feel annoyed about what this would mean for Magnússon's chances? I was hoping he would get back in the side but seems unlikely if we sign Baker.

Not if we concede fewer goals than last season, no.

1 minute ago, Antman said:

i'd like to see Magussen get more games - i have a horrid feeling LJ doesn't rate him

Baker pushes him down the list.

Not sure he is as good as many seem to think on here.

43 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Not really. Based on what I've seen Baker is a better player. 

And yet, Middlesbrough - a club that know a thing or two about defenders and stopping the opposition scoring - have signed Flint, not Baker. Unless this is simply the left foot/right foot thing...

2 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

And yet, Middlesbrough - a club that know a thing or two about defenders and stopping the opposition scoring - have signed Flint, not Baker. Unless this is simply the left foot/right foot thing...

It's possible Villa simply didn't want to sell to them. They might see it as selling to a promotion rival.

Also, maybe we offset some of the Kodjia add-ons in this deal. That would also be more attractive to Villa if their asking price for Baker was high.

3 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

What's Flint got to do with it? We're talking about Magnússon vs Baker. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

flint is still here last time i checked

4 hours ago, Saunders87 said:

I know he said he won't play 3 at the back but we now the players to play 3 at the back. 

Ripley

.            Wright Flint Baker

Pisano.                               Bryan

Smith    Brownhill

O'Dowda                   Patterson

Diedhiou 

looks good on paper 

We always look good on paper!! It's the grass bit that always worries me!!

6 minutes ago, BarmyArmy said:

Have they?

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

flint is still here last time i checked

Getting ahead of myself, there. Sorry.

Baker is moving down the pecking order, while Flint appears to be moving up. And Baker played in a mean defence last season, Flint in a porous one. What do we know?

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's possible Villa simply didn't want to sell to them. They might see it as selling to a promotion rival.

Also, maybe we offset some of the Kodjia add-ons in this deal. That would also be more attractive to Villa if their asking price for Baker was high.

All very possible, but Baker is going from Villa to us; that must say something about his ability/level, as well as the business of football. 

Just now, Jack Dawe said:

Getting ahead of myself, there. Sorry.

Baker is moving down the pecking order, while Flint appears to be moving up. And Baker played in a mean defence last season, Flint in a porous one. What do we know?

All very possible, but Baker is going from Villa to us; that must say something about his ability/level, as well as the business of football. 

I suggest you take a look at the villa forum and see their reaction to this,

Archived