IGNORED

Nathan Baker - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Son of Nob

6 hours ago, Bcfctommy said:

Maybe flint wants to go and now we've already brought in his replacement and awaiting bids, sounds likes he definitely going 

Good move by the club, ready made replacement for whoever goes out and maximise any fee and not left with our pants down trying to find someone to back fill

could we'll see more comings and goings now 

26 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I'm very surprised by villas decision to sign both terry and samba.....it will be interesting to see how terry fares at this level but I for one thing he may well struggle...

Playing in a Chelsea team that screened their defence very well to a Villa midfield nowhere near the same quality will expose him and dare say will be picking up a few red and yellow cards this season

Will be interesting to see how he copes with being torn a new one every week by pacy attackers who run past him every week

45 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I've said some pretty negative things about Mr Stockhausen previously. He is now chalk and cheese from what he was at the Post, not just because he's actually getting scoops, but more so he's suddenly started coming across as a nice, funny bloke. Before, he seemed hellbent on waiting for scraps to slag the club off for or with hidden agendas, but now it's a lot more laid back. Perhaps it was the paper... Long live new AS. 

I've heard him and LJ have a bit of an agreement and doing business. No idea what that entails but can imagine Stocky gets snippets from the horse's mouth...

Fwiw, I think Bakes is a great signing. Can imagine Mags going to LB and Joey B moving back up field. Wright and Flinty tussle for CB along with Vyner and Bakes.

Perhaps getting Baker in is a ploy to keep Flinty? They've played alongside each other and know their strengths and weaknesses. Tis possible.

Welcome back Nathan. DO NOT PHONE/ANSWER ADAM MATTHEWS. DO NOT LEND YOUR MOTOR TO ANY OF THE YOUNGSTERS. Keep to this and you'll be fine.

2 hours ago, Super said:

Have we played him at LB in these pre season games?

I dont believe so but that is a position he could play and clearly he plays it at international level. I suspect both Goldbourne and Bryan will be sold shortly and thus Mags will be No 1 LB and Lloyd Kelly No 2. 

18 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I've heard him and LJ have a bit of an agreement and doing business. No idea what that entails but can imagine Stocky gets snippets from the horse's mouth...

Fwiw, I think Bakes is a great signing. Can imagine Mags going to LB and Joey B moving back up field. Wright and Flinty tussle for CB along with Vyner and Bakes.

Perhaps getting Baker in is a ploy to keep Flinty? They've played alongside each other and know their strengths and weaknesses. Tis possible.

Welcome back Nathan. DO NOT PHONE/ANSWER ADAM MATTHEWS. DO NOT LEND YOUR MOTOR TO ANY OF THE YOUNGSTERS. Keep to this and you'll be fine.

I think he is Flint's replacement and personally I feel he is a massive upgrade. Dont get me wrong I love Flint. He has been a great servant to the club but he is not Championship standard. He is caught out of position all too often and is turned far too easily. Che Adams goal for Birmingham the case in point and 2 of the goals against Reading at home were shocking. He also put in a shocker of a display against Rotherham away. Thus, it is easy to gloss over his fundamental flaws as a centre back.  Defensively we have struggled and he is not quite the rock that the media make him out to be.  A lot is made of his goal scoring prowess but the bulk of his goals came in league one.  If we can get 4 million plus for Flint then that would be good business for City. We have able cover and some promising young players in the ranks. 

5 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I'd rather have Flint than Baker but I think the club is doing a fine job of managing the situation.

Too often in the past they've failed to sell players at the top of their market value because they've never wanted to be seen as a selling club. Just imagine the profit they could have made if they'd sold the likes of Aaron Brown, Marvin Elliot and Liam Fontaine at their peaks. Instead they never made a penny.

As far as I can tell they're preparing to sell Flint at exactly the point where his value is likely to peak. It's possible that he goes on to improve and fair play to him if he does, but if he stays at City I'd say his value is at least as likely to decline over the coming years as it is to go up. In Wright and now Baker they're bringing in the right players to ensure he's adequately replaced whilst they're clearly not prepared to let him go cheaply.

It looks like the club will end up getting good value for the player and having an adequate replacement where in the past they'd have either kept him and watched his value decline, or let him go without a replacement in place. If that's the case then they have to be applauded.

Hear Hear. When SL said we needed to stop getting so attached to players he signalled a sensible change in policy.

28 minutes ago, sheps said:

Good signing and I reckon Flint will be gone next week. Interesting to see if he (Flint) starts later.

Would be a shame to see him go.

I don't,

i thinking kodja here, we held on to him as long as possible so his value kept going up as clubs got more desperate for signings,

i have the same feeling the same is about to happen with flint

Nice little surprise reading this at work earlier. Heard some Villa fan on Talksport a few weeks ago saying now that Terry is in, the likes of Nathan Baker could be surplus, but the bloke (can't remember who it was, a famous fan) said he rated him (Baker)

Happy to see the guy back tbh and not at all worried about his sometimes mad tackling. it's a man's game after all (sorry Dolly, Septic et al) and sorry about the overuse of brackets :)

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Just reading through some of the Villa fan tweets. Most reckon they'll get 15 app out of JT if that. They are all fuming. This is quite funny...

WHAT I would give for JT to be shite on Sky against us, and Nathan to play a stormer   :laugh:  

Very happy with this, go as far as saying has a better all round defensive game than Flint. Still wouldn't want him to leave but think Wright and Baker would make a good partnership. 

Doesn't say alot for the chances of our other 2m pound defender does it..........

27 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Nice little surprise reading this at work earlier. Heard some Villa fan on Talksport a few weeks ago saying now that Terry is in, the likes of Nathan Baker could be surplus, but the bloke (can't remember who it was, a famous fan) said he rated him (Baker)

Happy to see the guy back tbh and not at all worried about his sometimes mad tackling. it's a man's game after all (sorry Dolly, Septic et al) and sorry about the overuse of brackets :)

I can cope. Just as long as Pack doesn't leave. I like to imagine stroking his beard is akin to smoothing a Persian cat.

15 minutes ago, LeeTomlin10 said:

Will he be in the squad tonight?

You won't be Tommo. Cardiff is on the M4. Change at Almondsbury on the M5 interchange. Oh and Matty Taylor has your shirt now. Upstaged by a snake.

2 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I can cope. Just as long as Pack doesn't leave. I like to imagine stroking his beard is akin to smoothing a Persian cat.

You won't be Tommo. Cardiff is on the M4. Change at Almondsbury on the M5 interchange. Oh and Matty Taylor has your shirt now. Upstaged by a snake.

I guess the only justification for being new on OTIB and calling yourself Tomlin is IF your name actually is Tomlin ?

3 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

I think he is Flint's replacement and personally I feel he is a massive upgrade. Dont get me wrong I love Flint. He has been a great servant to the club but he is not Championship standard. He is caught out of position all too often and is turned far too easily. Che Adams goal for Birmingham the case in point and 2 of the goals against Reading at home were shocking. He also put in a shocker of a display against Rotherham away. Thus, it is easy to gloss over his fundamental flaws as a centre back.  Defensively we have struggled and he is not quite the rock that the media make him out to be.  A lot is made of his goal scoring prowess but the bulk of his goals came in league one.  If we can get 4 million plus for Flint then that would be good business for City. We have able cover and some promising young players in the ranks. 

i think Flinty is wonderfull and well worth the 11 million we should get for him!!!

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Very strong case of pogonophilia there Pegs. Does your hubby know about this? :yes:

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Which is?

I've found it,  Tinmans song..

I can't speak Brummie so lost it after Nathan Baker's magic. Anyone?

Ohhhh Nathan Bakers Magic

He wears a magic hat

And. If you throw a brick at him 

He'll head the F****R. back

And Chester is his partner ,

and he' will do the same

And when we get promoted 

We'll sing this song again........

Band Practice tomorrow 10am :violin::thumbsup:

16 hours ago, class not gas said:

Bailey Wright is most suited to the right side where he played for Preston.

He actually played left centre back (both in a 2 and in a 3 at the back) but I don't know why. His left foot is dodgy and he's much better as a right sided centre back IMHO.

Archived