IGNORED

LA announce new manager in, erm, interesting way

His name is Brad Bobley, and he's most famous for being out of his depth at Swansea City.

All jokes aside, I thought he was a decent manager. He had a good international record, and he'd tried to handle his management career in the right way by managing at a lower level in Europe before taking that step up. His big mistake was taking the jump from Ligue 2 to the Premier League, when it was clear the only reason he was offered the job was because he was the same nationality as the owner.

2 hours ago, EnderMB said:

His name is Brad Bobley, and he's most famous for being out of his depth at Swansea City.

All jokes aside, I thought he was a decent manager. He had a good international record, and he'd tried to handle his management career in the right way by managing at a lower level in Europe before taking that step up. His big mistake was taking the jump from Ligue 2 to the Premier League, when it was clear the only reason he was offered the job was because he was the same nationality as the owner.

Even though it was wildly obvious he was out of his depth, as you said, I still feel bad for the bloke. Sacked after 11(?) games without a transfer window to bring anybody in. Not fair in my opinion. Absolute shambles all round, that was. Can't blame him for taking such an 'illustrious' job, at least compared to his previous club experiences.

15 minutes ago, Robin Ashton said:

What a boring name Los Angeles FC is. I remember when US teams had groovy names.

They still have dumb names. Other sports fill that quotient adequately, let's have one sport a bit more traditionalist. At least the nicknames (Timbers, Whitecaps) are a bit more authentic to local character than they used to be.

19 minutes ago, Robin Ashton said:

What a boring name Los Angeles FC is. I remember when US teams had groovy names.

2 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

They still have dumb names. Other sports fill that quotient adequately, let's have one sport a bit more traditionalist. At least the nicknames (Timbers, Whitecaps) are a bit more authentic to local character than they used to be.

Maybe they've learned their lessons from the franchises constantly moving in search of more money?

As an example, the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers were originally the Minneapolis Lakers - being named after the famous bodies of water in the area - before relocating in 1961 to Los Angeles where there are almost no lakes at all. 

God, it's a slow Friday isn't it? 

17 minutes ago, Creg said:

Maybe they've learned their lessons from the franchises constantly moving in search of more money?

As an example, the NBA's Los Angeles Lakers were originally the Minneapolis Lakers - being named after the famous bodies of water in the area - before relocating in 1961 to Los Angeles where there are almost no lakes at all. 

God, it's a slow Friday isn't it? 

There are quite a few examples of this in American sports. It's a foreign concept here and for the record should never happen here but teams sometimes relocate due to ownership change and opportunity. Sometimes they change the name completely but often times they'll keep the "nickname." 

2 hours ago, sephjnr said:

Stop that. Every time I hear that it shows how embarrassing Soccer AM has become. 

And an American manager will win the PL before an English manager does.

Like most of Soccer AM, they didn't invent the Brad Bobley name. That's been around since at least 2010.

Also, I seriously doubt it, at least not a manager/coach from their domestic league. They'll have more of an advantage over us because of the numerous American owners, and because they're more willing to travel than the English are, but the level of coaching here will improve far faster than over there.

Archived