IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v FC Twente pre-season friendly match day thread

Septic Peg

31 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Louise or Jamie?

Louise. 'Arry has sent her down from Brum to persuade Flinty with her womanly charms. 

I heard Dolly told her to "**** right off, you ******* bint, Flint is mine so tell your father in law he can shove his ******* bid up his ******* ****."

Quite the potty mouth when she's protecting her man.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@'keepuplino' apologies, I just get wound up by the type of post you made.  Today has been a really good day for good posts, debating the merits of Flint maybe going, Baker signing and Ripley possibly signing.

7 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

No need to apologise Dave, seriously no offence taken... 

I can be quite antagonistic after a few glasses of Malbec, its been a long week :)

Aw get a room you two ffs ;)

Sounds all positive after tonights game. Arry was down tonight scouting for our game no doubt. 

45 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Looks like near enough our first team squad over the first 80 mins. Based on that it seems Kelly will be competing with Bryan for the left back slot. Enjoyable game for a friendly. Team looked like they understood the system and great to see some inventive free kick routines.

A few more comments taken during the second half where I didn't feel we were quite as strong..

Diedhiou - Impressed. A few points though.. I think he needs to be more selfish. He's naturally a genuine team player. In friendlies you can afford a few mistakes. Would've liked to see him go for goal with his head down like Kodjia a few times.

Bryan - Not at his best. Seems to be over thinking it. Every pass and every movement looked pressured and tense. Doesn't look like he's enjoying himself. Great free kick but other than that slightly concerning. Pack annoyed with him on a couple of occasions for wasting possession. 

Reid - Instinctive. Clearly enjoying himself and it shows. Some mistakes but some absolutely sublime moments. Size inhibits him a bit, still seems very small and will get pushed off the ball. Obviously been given license to be creative and he's benefitting from that freedom.

O'Dowda - Exciting. lots of direct running. Exciting to watch. Seems quicker and makes better decisions. Could be a very useful asset this season with his pace and trickery.

Magnússon - Unconvincing. One or two nice raking passes but also lots of aimless punts including a random wasteful long throw giving possession away cheaply. Hegeler the better ball playing defender on that showing. Bottom of the pecking order for our centre halves.

Engvall - Instinctive. Fast and busy. His body language, even in the warm up, indicated he's a confidence player (he looked really embarrassed giving the ball away even in a warm up exercise). Didn't get many opportunities to score though. Want to see more.

Kelly - Impressed. Looks calm and assured. Played the simple pass as you'd expect but also made some buccaneering attacking runs forward which deserved to be picked out with a pass.

Morrell - Organiser. You can see he's been a captain. Pointing and directing everyone. Busy little player, reminds me of Scott Brown or even Lee Johnson in stature and style. He is very small though. Can see why he may not be seen as ready for men's football based on that. Looked very tidy though and could be ready for a loan.

Overall, a solid performance. We look a good side based on this and are quite entertaining to watch with plenty of spark, creativity and exuberance. Twente not at our level but better second half. 

Thanks PF , taking the trouble to write that up

Interesting summary 

:thumbsup:

For anyone who didnt listen to the radio I thought it was very interesting to listen to O'Neill. Sounded confident ahead of the season but singled out O'Dowda and his progress and expects him to have a big season. Also rates Kelly and feels he can become a very good player. 

1 hour ago, RumRed said:

Someone said earlier (sorry can't find the post) that the pitch was narrower, I wondered if Johnson would request it earlier in pre season.  Any of those there notice that it is, and if so does it look like a choice, or a necessity, regards the playing surface?

ta

You can see the old corner markings faded just about a yard outside the new one on the Dolman side.

2 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

For anyone who didnt listen to the radio I thought it was very interesting to listen to O'Neill. Sounded confident ahead of the season but singled out O'Dowda and his progress and expects him to have a big season. Also rates Kelly and feels he can become a very good player. 

Thought GON come across very well.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Looks like near enough our first team squad over the first 80 mins. Based on that it seems Kelly will be competing with Bryan for the left back slot. Enjoyable game for a friendly. Team looked like they understood the system and great to see some inventive free kick routines.

A few more comments taken during the second half where I didn't feel we were quite as strong..

Diedhiou - Impressed. A few points though.. I think he needs to be more selfish. He's naturally a genuine team player. In friendlies you can afford a few mistakes. Would've liked to see him go for goal with his head down like Kodjia a few times.

Bryan - Not at his best. Seems to be over thinking it. Every pass and every movement looked pressured and tense. Doesn't look like he's enjoying himself. Great free kick but other than that slightly concerning. Pack annoyed with him on a couple of occasions for wasting possession. 

Reid - Instinctive. Clearly enjoying himself and it shows. Some mistakes but some absolutely sublime moments. Size inhibits him a bit, still seems very small and will get pushed off the ball. Obviously been given license to be creative and he's benefitting from that freedom.

O'Dowda - Exciting. lots of direct running. Exciting to watch. Seems quicker and makes better decisions. Could be a very useful asset this season with his pace and trickery.

Magnússon - Unconvincing. One or two nice raking passes but also lots of aimless punts including a random wasteful long throw giving possession away cheaply. Hegeler the better ball playing defender on that showing. Bottom of the pecking order for our centre halves.

Engvall - Instinctive. Fast and busy. His body language, even in the warm up, indicated he's a confidence player (he looked really embarrassed giving the ball away even in a warm up exercise). Didn't get many opportunities to score though. Want to see more.

Kelly - Impressed. Looks calm and assured. Played the simple pass as you'd expect but also made some buccaneering attacking runs forward which deserved to be picked out with a pass.

Morrell - Organiser. You can see he's been a captain. Pointing and directing everyone. Busy little player, reminds me of Scott Brown or even Lee Johnson in stature and style. He is very small though. Can see why he may not be seen as ready for men's football based on that. Looked very tidy though and could be ready for a loan.

Overall, a solid performance. We look a good side based on this and are quite entertaining to watch with plenty of spark, creativity and exuberance. Twente not at our level but better second half. 

Agree with all of that. Very good assessment. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yep, @Robbored will be delighted.

I'm sure he was gutted not being there.

He always goes on about how much he loves friendlies.

Actually tonight's friendly completely passed me by.

I was out most of the day around the docks with a couple of mates on the lash and ended up in the Bear at Hotwells and the on to the Raj Bari for an indian meal. 

It was a good day out.

46 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was out most of the day around the docks with a couple of mates on the lash and ended up in the Bear at Hotwells and the on to the Raj Bari for an indian meal. 

It was a good day out.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

;)

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was a good day out.

A bad attempt at trolling... If not trolling and you've been on the lash, get off of OTIB.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was a good day out.

I expect the news you missed the game will have devestated you, as you have been on every thread recently saying how much you love them.

Poor sod.

Impressive performance tonight - the way we moved the ball at times with pace and in tight areas was good to see.

Hegeler at the back adds another dimension to our game with the way he can bring the ball out.

Liked the look of Pisano and Diedhiou.

I think the first half team will be the starting line up next week.

19 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

A bad attempt at trolling... If not trolling and you've been on the lash, get off of OTIB.

Trolling? No idea what that is.

I've been on the lash most of the day but the Indian food seems to have soaked up the booze and I'm pretty sober right now.

Still a fun day out tho........I ought to do it more often.

Just now, Robbored said:

I've been on the lash most of the day but the Indian food seems to have soaked up the booze and I'm pretty sober right now.

What's your drink of choice Robbo? What did you order at the Indian?

It does sound a fun day out. Maybe we can do a big OTIB meet up and replicate it!

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Thanks for sharing, but I have zero interest... 

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

6 minutes ago, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

Impressive performance tonight - the way we moved the ball at times with pace and in tight areas was good to see.

Hegeler at the back adds another dimension to our game with the way he can bring the ball out.

Liked the look of Pisano and Diedhiou.

I think the first half team will be the starting line up next week.

Agree, Brownhill also impressive in that first half team.

Archived