IGNORED

So, Taylor Moore....

Antman

Of all the 'not quite ready' signings from last summer and I include Brownhill and Engvall to O'Dowda, Moore (himself) and Di Girolamo, I think Moore will go on to be the best.  That's difficult to quantify I know, especially when GE and COD have played full internationals, but England cap is a different kettle of fish.

Some of the comments above are interesting:

- no pace - not what I've seen or what I've heard, pace is one of his assets.

- didn't do much at Bury - their GiggLane forum were impressed with him, especially as he was played at RWB predominantly.  They were a struggling side in the relegation zone and without regurgitating stats I've posted previously, their points tally per game went up massively and goals conceded per game dropped significantly

He appears to have filled out over the summer too.  Centre Back is a difficult position to be trusted in as a youngster, especially a slight one.  Some 19 year olds are men at 19, some aren't.

We seem to be in an awful rush on this forum to make snap judgements on players.  I suspect some posters have never actually seen him play.  Those snap judgements are also black and white - 'best thing since sliced bread' or 'Downs `League at best'.  99% are somewhere in between.  I'll give you Bas Savage though! :P

Its gonna be tough for TM, but doors open unexpectedly.

Flint is off - let's assume.

Baker suspended for Barnsley, nor up to speed.

What if Wright or Magnússon or Hegeler have a 'mare or get injured, or suspended - all of a sudden he's in the frame.

Got 2 seasons left on his contract - why rush? 

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Of all the 'not quite ready' signings from last summer and I include Brownhill and Engvall to O'Dowda, Moore (himself) and Di Girolamo, I think Moore will go on to be the best.  That's difficult to quantify I know, especially when GE and COD have played full internationals, but England cap is a different kettle of fish.

- didn't do much at Bury - their GiggLane forum were impressed with him, especially as he was played at RWB predominantly.  They were a struggling side in the relegation zone and without regurgitating stats I've posted previously, their points tally per game went up massively and goals conceded per game dropped significantly

He appears to have filled out over the summer too.  Centre Back is a difficult position to be trusted in as a youngster, especially a slight one.  Some 19 year olds are men at 19, some aren't.

We seem to be in an awful rush on this forum to make snap judgements on players.  I suspect some posters have never actually seen him play.  Those snap judgements are also black and white - 'best thing since sliced bread' or 'Downs `League at best'.  99% are somewhere in between.  I'll give you Bas Savage though! :P

What if Wright or Magnússon or Hegeler have a 'mare or get injured, or suspended - all of a sudden he's in the frame.

Interesting post but a big call saying he'll go on to be the best considering we've barely had a chance to watch him. 

For what it's worth I think Brownhill will go onto he the best but based on last night I think O'Dowda will have a good season.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That kind of thought process doesn't leave much room for a dig at LJ though, does it..!

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I agree with you though I'd probably loan him out again. L1 somewhere they'll play him 46 games at CB. That would be my preference anyway. Or do the half year loan for him then half year loan for Vyner. Either way, he's a clear talent(in my mind) but you don't get many CBs in the championship that are 20 years old. I'd like to see him get a handful of appearances though but it may not be possible so a loan would be ideal. Do Portsmouth or Plymouth need a CB? That would be the ideal loan for me 

59 minutes ago, kivsy said:

There has been plenty of players aged 16 to 19. Who have made premier league , or championship debuts , done well, then possibly sold on , at bigger clubs than city  

Indeed CAULKER was 18 when he played for us and walked the player of the year award so if you're good enough...

Like Morrell at Cheltenham - he ran the show.

@JoeAman08 - half season loan to a Lg1 team would be good, and yes at CB. So, yes, agree.

@Phileas Fogg - yep, from the brief watches at RB and Hull at CB I saw calmness, composure.....and pace, as well as good awareness of danger in central positions in the Hull game.  I thought he anticipated danger in behind Flint, even though Flint won the ball.  That is a good attribute.  Some CBs only see danger when it's happened.  By then its often too late, or you expose yourself into making last ditch tackles. I don't see him as a ball winning CB, but the one who drops off.

@Derek from Nailsea - Caulker - a fully developed man at 18, see below...looks 22/23 imho

IMG_1079.JPG

49 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Love the fact armchair fans writing off talyor-Moore without even seeing him play!!

Ive seen very little, you tube footage of him playing at lens and bits from his loan spell at bury and of course his limited appearances for city.

But how about we judge him after a run of games? He's clearly got talent. 

Didn't do a lot in his 25 mins at Cheltenham whereas Lloyd Kelly was pretty decent on the left.

13 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I agree with you though I'd probably loan him out again. L1 somewhere they'll play him 46 games at CB. That would be my preference anyway. Or do the half year loan for him then half year loan for Vyner. Either way, he's a clear talent(in my mind) but you don't get many CBs in the championship that are 20 years old. I'd like to see him get a handful of appearances though but it may not be possible so a loan would be ideal. Do Portsmouth or Plymouth need a CB? That would be the ideal loan for me 

Half year loan makes sense in case he isn't playing,as for Pompey and Plymouth they are clubs who will be looking to push forward so wouldn't be able to guarantee him games,guess a Newport or Cheltenham as per normal 

It's absolutely crucial that we always make sure that  we sign  talented youngsters and play him in the first team in order to prove he was never good enough at this level and meanwhile sign expensive experience in order to criticise the club's waste of time and money signing young potential .

Is there anyfink I've missed?

28 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Half year loan makes sense in case he isn't playing,as for Pompey and Plymouth they are clubs who will be looking to push forward so wouldn't be able to guarantee him games,guess a Newport or Cheltenham as per normal 

Wouldn't make much sense to go to struggling league 2 sides considering he excelled in a L1 side. The clubs mentioned are looking to push on but have only both just come up as well. Plymouth especially I think could do with a link to us. It seems we are more focused on youth and could benefit them in the long run. Taylor Moore would be a good CB in L1. Im not sure what they've got in terms of CBs at those clubs but Taylor Moore would be one of the more talented players as soon as he stepped on the pitch. 

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Wouldn't make much sense to go to struggling league 2 sides considering he excelled in a L1 side. The clubs mentioned are looking to push on but have only both just come up as well. Plymouth especially I think could do with a link to us. It seems we are more focused on youth and could benefit them in the long run. Taylor Moore would be a good CB in L1. Im not sure what they've got in terms of CBs at those clubs but Taylor Moore would be one of the more talented players as soon as he stepped on the pitch. 

He wouldn't be a starter at Plymouth I know that for sure because have family down there who watch them and they are not short of centre halfs ,Pompey I can't speak for if I'm honest but it's unlikely they will stick a loan right in when they done ok last season,send him to Swindon I say and if he survives that then he will be doing alright  :ermm:

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

He wouldn't be a starter at Plymouth I know that for sure because have family down there who watch them and they are not short of them,Pompey I can't speak for if I'm honest but it's unlikely they will stick a loan right in when they done ok last season,send him to Swindon I say and if he survives that then he will be doing alright  :ermm:

I wouldn't wish that on Ian Baird or Tony Pulis, let alone one of our up & coming decent young hopefuls! 

37 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Ah yeah, 25 minutes in a friendly is the perfect amount of time to judge a player.

Taylor Moore is no where near ready for regular football at this level. He doesn't have the positional sense for a full back....or the strength to be a centre back.

He was signed as an educated punt, however from what I have seen of him for me he doesn't have the attributes to play at this level....yet.

If I was going to make a prediction, I reckon a career in the lower leagues.

12 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Taylor Moore is no where near ready for regular football at this level. He doesn't have the positional sense for a full back....or the strength to be a centre back.

He was signed as an educated punt, however from what I have seen of him for me he doesn't have the attributes to play at this level....yet.

If I was going to make a prediction, I reckon a career in the lower leagues.

1) positional sense for a full back - I can't really comment on TM - except our tactics / set up of RB was to play incredibly narrow, I'm guessing to protect Flint (who in fairness wa helping Magnússon settle in).  Matthews and Little played so narrow, that on dead balls their starting positions were often left of centre when the oppo keeper was aiming kicks down our left centre.  That was too narrow, and then meant those sides that could switch play quickly got their left sided players on the ball with acres of space.  So whether TM got caught up in the same tactic, you argue it was under direction not through bad positioning.  Second half of the season, we went more conventional, by which time TM had gone to Bury.  

2) he was 19 and not fully grown.  He's now 20 and pre-season photos show he has filled out.  See earlier comment re Caulker comparison.

3) Attributes - which ones other than strength?  Not arguing, interested in what else you feel he is missing.  I think he has a lot of those required, calm, composed, reads game well etc.  Happy for difference of opinion.

4) prediction, absolutely fine if you think that.  I don't.  Think he'll play in Prem - I'm sticking my neck out I know, but I see quality.  Might be million miles off :P

Just now, Davefevs said:

1) positional sense for a full back - I can't really comment on TM - except our tactics / set up of RB was to play incredibly narrow, I'm guessing to protect Flint (who in fairness wa helping Magnússon settle in).  Matthews and Little played so narrow, that on dead balls their starting positions were often left of centre when the oppo keeper was aiming kicks down our left centre.  That was too narrow, and then meant those sides that could switch play quickly got their left sided players on the ball with acres of space.  So whether TM got caught up in the same tactic, you argue it was under direction not through bad positioning.  Second half of the season, we went more conventional, by which time TM had gone to Bury.  

2) he was 19 and not fully grown.  He's now 20 and pre-season photos show he has filled out.  See earlier comment re Caulker comparison.

3) Attributes - which ones other than strength?  Not arguing, interested in what else you feel he is missing.  I think he has a lot of those required, calm, composed, reads game well etc.  Happy for difference of opinion.

4) prediction, absolutely fine if you think that.  I don't.  Think he'll play in Prem - I'm sticking my neck out I know, but I see quality.  Might be million miles off :P

100% agreed.

Sometimes it's like you read my thoughts and then communicate them 10× better than I can.

I appreciate this issue is often just used as a stick to beat LJ with, but I must admit that it does have relevance. Our team constantly goes on about the project and bringing young talent through, but it is not done here any more than any other club. Even the poster boy names that are always pulled out like vyner, have had very little game time considering his debut was back in that 4-0 defeat at Hudderfield (I think) not last season but the one before. Sometimes it can feel our bringing through of youngsters is more lip service than reality. Lets think of Mags and moore etc, players who were at other clubs and chose to come here, sold no doubt on the talk of the project, believing they were coming to a club that would “Nurture youth” etc, yet moore and mags have seen three centre backs brought into the club (plus one tried out on trial) since they signed. MA can sell snow to Eskimos, but it is not much of a leap to see that these players are sold on a dream that they then see is not the reality. Young players thrive on confidence, but the reality of our policy must make them feel disillusioned. The same with Engvall too. I am sure all these players knew they had to fight for a place in the first team, earn their chance, but I doubt they expected more players to then be bought in for their positions (Taylor, Đurić and the new guy in Engvall’s situation; Wright, Jens and now Baker for Mags and Moore’s situation.) These addition transfers are no doubt a massive slap in the face for these young players who joined on MA selling them the prospect of breaking into the first team. And I am 100% sure (no source) that MA didn’t tell them extra players would be signed in their positions after their transfers. Remember how engvall tweeted about “always believing or having faith in himself” when we signed Taylor I think, and it would not surprise me if Mags reduced performance last night was due to the baker’s signing. All young players will know they have to wait for their chance and play as understudy to a player ahead of them, waiting for suspension or injury for their opportunity, but to then have extra players signed to go ahead of them in this pecking order of cover for a position is a message painfully loud and clear.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I can comment on him....time and time again he gets dragged to the Ball only to leave a runner in behind him....pretty basic really but I assume fill back isn't his natural position.....it cost us goals last season.

Yep million miles off.

Archived