IGNORED

Barnsley's end of season form

Bar BS3

So, I'm aware this is the start of a new season!

However, I had no idea that Barnsley only won 2 of their final 18 games last season! That's pretty poor form and by all accounts, their squad is probably looking weaker now than last time around. 

Of course, it means nothing come Saturday, I was just surprised to see that they had such a poor final 3rd of what I had regarded, from a distance, as a very good season for them. 

Just now, Judda said:

If you think of that plus our pre season friendly form.... it's gonna be 10-0 to City!!!

:thumbsup:

Barnsley's pre season form hasn't been too convincing. 

I'll happily take 1-0..!! 

1 minute ago, Judda said:

Any win would do but a nice confidence boosting 3-0 would help.... although all the doubters would be quick to point out that it's only Barnsley and last season and.... and..... 

Nah, they will quietly sit back, waiting until we lose..! 

5 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

They got stuffed 4-0 by Rotherham yesterday!

******* hell! Well I'm a lot more confident now, 2-0 win would do me nicely. Bobby and Farmamarmamamarrarama Diedhdheoiioduihioou

33 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

However, I had no idea that Barnsley only won 2 of their final 18 games last season! That's pretty poor form and by all accounts, their squad is probably looking weaker now than last time around. 

Of course, it means nothing come Saturday, I was just surprised to see that they had such a poor final 3rd of what I had regarded, from a distance, as a very good season for them. 

They had the guts ripped out of the side in January with Bree, Winnall and Hourihane leaving and not being replaced and have since lost Roberts as well - luckily for them they had enough points in the bag from the first half of the season to never really be in trouble but next season I think they may struggle a bit. The Barnsley lads who come on here aren`t particularly optimistic. I`m sure we`ll hear from them during the next week.

57 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Surely not, only a manager as bad as LJ would take a team on a run like that. And only LJ could go on such a run and not be sacked.

Well that's what OTIB told me anyway.

26 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Barnsley will be tough I think

If Barnsley at home is tough then we are in for a worrying season. Not making light of it, but before the fixtures came out, Barnsley at home was one of the relatively few games we should be taking three points from. It's a perfect opening day match. It's a must win. (Only joking with that last bit)

1 minute ago, The Horse With No Name said:

If Barnsley at home is tough then we are in for a worrying season. Not making light of it, but before the fixtures came out, Barnsley at home was one of the relatively few games we should be taking three points from. It's a perfect opening day match. It's a must win. (Only joking with that last bit)

For @Tomarse`s sake I reckon it`s a must not lose. Will no-one think of the forum, she cannae take it!

6 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Ooh, time for the cliches.

"It's a real six pointer, we're the better team on paper, we have some top, top players, but they all need to give 110%. I'm sure the mind games will start soon, but with LJ we have a proper football man. With no disrespect to Barnsley, we should be beating the likes of them. We need the likes of Diedhiou to be unplayable, as this is a results business."

56 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

They had the guts ripped out of the side in January with Bree, Winnall and Hourihane leaving and not being replaced and have since lost Roberts as well - luckily for them they had enough points in the bag from the first half of the season to never really be in trouble but next season I think they may struggle a bit. The Barnsley lads who come on here aren`t particularly optimistic. I`m sure we`ll hear from them during the next week.

Roberts will be a big loss. The influential Josh Scowen also departed this summer, likewise Kent (loan return). Yiadom could also be gone by Saturday if Swansea step up their interest. Rookie manager trying to mould his own squad, it'll be a long tough season for Barnsley I feel. 

Just now, redcherryberry said:

Roberts will be a big loss. The influential Josh Scowen also departed this summer, likewise Kent (loan return). Yiadom could also be gone by Saturday if Swansea step up their interest. Rookie manager trying to mould his own squad, it'll be a long tough season for Barnsley I feel. 

I`d forgotten Scowen and Kent TBH. It isn`t looking rosy at all for them is it? Mind you, they have got the lad in from Chelsea who`s supposed to be as good as Tammy.

2 hours ago, Flint says No said:

They got stuffed 4-0 by Rotherham yesterday!

ROD saved a penalty...no idea what the score was at the time though.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

They've brought in a few though, Ugbo, the Chelsea youngster, and Zeki Fryers, but the others are hardly household names, but that's Barnsley way.  Isgrove has gone back too.

33 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

Plus Armstrong, the loanee from NUFC has gone too.

They are an incredibly young squad....oldest is 25!

I'm surprised their keeper Davies hasn't atttacted more attention.

They will be well drilled, they'll use LJ as their motivation, and in some respects we'll go into the game not knowing their likely line-up.  

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

They've brought in a few though, Ugbo, the Chelsea youngster, and Zeki Fryers, but the others are hardly household names, but that's Barnsley way.  Isgrove has gone back too.

Plus Armstrong, the loanee from NUFC has gone too.

They are an incredibly young squad....oldest is 25!

I'm surprised their keeper Davies hasn't atttacted more attention.

They will be well drilled, they'll use LJ as their motivation, and in some respects we'll go into the game not knowing their likely line-up.  

There can`t be many left in their squad that actually played under him now can there?

I have been chatting to a Barnsley season ticket holder who has seen a few of the pre season matches and is struggling to work out who the players are, she says there wont be many if any the LJ will recognise.  She did say they were doing ok (that was before the Rotherham match).  First game of the season, so who knows what will happen, but would hope we should have enough to get a win, 1-0 would do.  We need a good start to the season.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

0-0 mate

He had a stormer apparently

Keffer Moore (Ex Forest Green scored one)

Surprised Ugbo went there tbh

Hes almost more acclaimed than Tammy was at the same stage - Thought he'd be ideal for us as a wildcard

(Isgrove went off injured but 'should be ok' for Saturday)

Hi folks. Hope you've had a decent summer!

We go into this upcoming season with the general level of optimism as low as I have ever known it at the start of a season. I think Hecky will be manager of the season if we match last seasons finish. I am seriously worried that we will be this years Rotherham.

The thing is, we may be fine as we may have brought in another bunch of players with a lot of potential and we may work our magic as we have done numerous times in the last couple of seasons to bring out the best in a number of them. The difference though, when comparing this season to last season is that, although we went into the start of last season with a team with very little championship experience, we knew for a fact that we had a bunch of very good players who had just spent the second half of the previous season caning everybody in our path in L1. This time we have a bunch of players of whom we know little about who we have picked up from the bargain bin. Even if some of them make the grade it is likely to take time as we have replaced half the squad in the space of 7 months, letting proven talent go and replacing them with unknown quantities or not replacing them at all.

Apart from Ugbo up top we have not come close to replacing Winnall and we apparently look extremely light up front - I say apparently because I could not be arsed with any of pre season so have not clapped eyes on any of these new comers yet.

I fully expect Yiadom to go before the window closes which would be another huge loss. To be honest, its all a bit dispiriting and you sometimes wonder why bother.

Hecky was scathing of both the teams failings and, it appears, the lack of proper support from the board after the Rotherham fiasco. We have a bank account stuffed with cash now from the dismantling of last years team but we clearly are seeing that as rainy day money and have no intention of spending any of it.

At the start of the season you always live in hope and I desperately hope we have pulled a few rabbits out again. But I fear a long long season ahead and think that our long term level is the level below. We appear not to be able to compete financially at this level any longer. Every season we survive is against the odds and we start every season as favourites to go down. It was ever thus of course but whilst in the 80s and 90s we battled the odds every year the gulf was never so insurmountable as it is now. 

I will be eager for a victory on Saturday to allow hope that we will be ok. But you guys must surely be looking at this one as a sure fire 3 points to kick start your season. 

Hoping for a decent game on Saturday and whatever happens, lets hope for a decent season for both of us this year. For us, that would mean not being in the mix at the bottom. Anything else would be a bonus.

8 minutes ago, redsfan said:

I will be eager for a victory on Saturday to allow hope that we will be ok. But you guys must surely be looking at this one as a sure fire 3 points to kick start your season. 

I don't think we are in any position to be as arrogant as that..! 

No such thing as a "sure fire win" in this division. In any game, at any stage. That's the beauty of it! 

You're right - he was extremely unhappy. Getting the impression he is losing faith a bit which would be a disaster. There's a lot of worry on our board that he may have poked a bear. It was almost a "back me or sack me" speach.

Doesn't inspire much confidence amongst the fans though when the manager makes it clear we are not even close to where he wanted us to be at this stage.

10 minutes ago, redsfan said:

You're right - he was extremely unhappy. Getting the impression he is losing faith a bit which would be a disaster. There's a lot of worry on our board that he may have poked a bear. It was almost a "back me or sack me" speach.

Doesn't inspire much confidence amongst the fans though when the manager makes it clear we are not even close to where he wanted us to be at this stage.

Some people on here probably wanted to swap places with you around Christmas time..!

Archived