IGNORED

Tomlin

Alan Dicks

3 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

I, like the vast majority thought that signing Tomlin on a permanent was fantastic only to see him fade away as the season progressed. The optimism we had about both him and City's early season form seemed to fall away in equal proportions and selling him on at such a high figure seemed like good business, albeit, like most, I'd have preferred him not to go to Cardiff and Warnock, fear of it coming back to bite us at some point in the future. 

After he left LJ would only say that Tomlin would drive home to his family Leicester each night, a daily journey that would be absurd for a company sales rep, let alone an athlete (in its broadest terms). I remember thinking at the time what an impressive job City had done keeping that quiet.  Now to hear that Tomlin had been involved in an incident at a nightclub during the worst run in our history and not a word was said publicly impresses me even more. It can only go to make the clubs relationship with the current players stronger, with them knowing that their dirty washing won't be aired publicly and bad stuff will be kept behind closed doors. 

As some have said, nothing hacks the fans off more than a player pissing a career away, wasting such a god given talent that we would all have loved to have been blessed with, and we all knew that he had the potential to be that type of player.

We hoped that given a fresh start and another helpful of big love from the fans he could be saved from the fall. But no, he couldn't help himself. His light shines very brightly and then fades as he loses interest. 

Saturday 4th November when Cardiff come to Ashton Gate now has increased significance. City clearly did everything possible to get the best out of him and he repaid them by being thoroughly unprofessional,  whilst receiving a massive salary. 

There's a quote from the Life of Brian, now what was it?

Very well summarised mate.

I can see this ending up with him being convicted and receiving a hefty fine and perhaps a suspended sentence. Cardiff will then either sack him or quietly pay him off and he`ll resurface six months later at somewhere like Doncaster or Scunthorpe and piss the rest of his career away in league 1.

8 hours ago, harrys said:

Shock, football player in trouble on a Saturday night.

Get a grip, I can tell you countless tales of City players past and present up to no good on a night out, don't go along with all this anti Tomlin vitriol, produced some magical moments for us and we got back what we paid for him, show a big more class

How about the Huddersfield incident - do you excuse him that ?

The Club may not have known either at the time or indeed when selling to Cardiff. Certainly the Oolice are under no obligation to inform a Charged Individuals Employers unless they have reason to believe others would be at risk such as sex offences involving Minors. This has only now come out due to the CPS deciding there is enough evidence to Prosecute

Some professional insight here...

murder (max life)

attempted murder (max life)

GBH with intent (max life)

A shoots B in the leg and the hand, or A punches B to the floor and then continues to stamp on B's head when he's on the floor, fracturing his skull.

GBH without intent (max 5 yrs)

A punches B in the face once, fracturing their eye socket.

ABH (max 5 yrs)

A punches B in the face causing a black eye (and maybe a small cut)  or maybe a broken nose.

Common Assault/battery (max 6 months)

A punches B in the face, some minor swelling (or no injury)  

Last time I dealt with such things, it was difficult to be charged with anything above the bottom rung of the ladder because CPS went through a phase of charging most people with common assault or battery because many people were unlikely to get more than 6 months imprisonment on conviction. 

What we can read into from Tomlin's charge, is that there must be some fairly decent injury sustained to warrant that charge. 

He really is on the cusp of custodial sentencing there. A step down to ABH and I'd say almost certainly not* and a step up and I'd say almost certainly so. So it's a tight one. 

(*Based on my assumption that Tomlin would have little to no previous convictions)

The case is going to be heard in Leicester, which isn't ideal for Tomlin, you'd much rather it be a Birmingham or London (or even Bristol offence) because the bigger the place, the more lenient the sentencing  seems to be (they hear a lot of crime at the big places). 

If (and it's an important if) Tomlin were convicted I'd probably bet on a non custodial sentence, but it'd be by the skin of his teeth. 

However, it's important to note the innocent til proven guilty thingy-ma-bob. 

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Hang on a minute... you mean it wasn't down to LJ not being able to cope with him..? It wasn't LJ's fault..? I don't believe it for a minute! 

I'm looking forward to hearing some of the twisted drivel that the usual culprits will come up with though. 

But he's a maverick, which is apparently an excuse for anything. We've had a few over the years and it baffles me how they get hero worshipped for pissing their talent away.

surely if you are convicted of GBH that is a breach of contract and you can be dismissed?

Great player and lets not forget what he did for us. Yes a wayward character, but I believe he genuinely wanted to do well and help us get promoted, but his demons came back to haunt him. GBH is a very serious charge and not a just a drunken scuffle. What a waste of talent.

1 minute ago, hoxton casual said:

surely if you are convicted of GBH that is a breach of contract and you can be dismissed?

Great player and lets not forget what he did for us. Yes a wayward character, but I believe he genuinely wanted to do well and help us get promoted, but his demons came back to haunt him. GBH is a very serious charge and not a just a drunken scuffle. What a waste of talent.

I imagine it would be covered by some sort of `bringing the club into disrepute` catchall clause but if the offence was committed while he was a BCFC player it could be argued I suppose that Cardiff should have been aware of it before signing him.

Either way I`m glad it`s not our problem any more!

8 minutes ago, hoxton casual said:

Dennis Wise broke a team mate's jaw, was sacked but won an appeal. Better to handle it the way the club has.

• Admin

Looking around the internet, an early guilty plea would seem to lead to a suspended sentence, a fine and some community service if entered by someone with no previous.

However, it wouldn't be the biggest surprise in the world if I was to learn he does have previous, he seems to be an angry man at times.

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

For what it's worth, a lad who worked for us got 12 months for GBH with intent last year, having pleaded guilty and with no previous convictions. 

It's a big step up to "with intent". GBH with intent is that you caused really serious harm, and basically you meant to cause really serious harm; not you meant to simply have a scuffle.  

2 minutes ago, Nick Wilde said:

Cardiff must of known before signing him,  isn't a CRB / DBS Check standard before any employment these days? Can't imagine Football would be any different.

They would have known and were well aware of what they are taking on, it is a gamble but Warnock feels he can manage LT and get an overall positive from his signing.

Have my doubts, certainly in the medium to long term.

9 hours ago, RumRed said:

My point exactly is that I am not doing this from hindsight I said it at the time!  I would hope our management structure knew a shedload more than I but the debacle of his signing and the stories from previous clubs always suggested it was going to be a disaster.

luckily we appear to have emerged fairly unscathed with staying in the division and getting the money back.

Lessons learnt I hope, there is ALWAYS a reason a player of that ability is going for the 2-3m mark.  The question is whether it's worth the risk.

I think more or less the whole fan base got caught up in signing him after that loan spell , especially after being at Fulham that day myself included. Looking back it probably put pressure on the club to sign him with LJ thinking he could manage him. As you say hopefully lesson learned. 

8 minutes ago, Nick Wilde said:

Cardiff must of known before signing him,  isn't a CRB / DBS Check standard before any employment these days? Can't imagine Football would be any different.

I could be very wrong, but I don't think an arrest necessarily shows up. It's cautions, convictions that sort of thing. Right now, Tomlin is presumed innocent of course. 

Archived