IGNORED

The Official Birmingham City v Bristol City Match Day Thread

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

Couldn't agree more. LJ always seems to get outwitted by the wily old foxes like Harry and Warnock. With all this sniffing around Flint and Bryan, sticking his beak in and trying to sign this Luton lad Vassell, and Birmingham beating us yesterday after tearing them a new one in the first half, Harry is the new Warnock for me, bloody hate the bloke now :grr: 

Being outwitted by two of the most canny and seasoned managers currently working is no disgrace in itself.

LJ has only been a manager for a few years, and is a total 'pup' in that regard.

What bothers me is the constant shyte-talking, and the level of resources he consumes. No other manager in our history has had so much backing from the Chair, and so much money to spend.

Sooner or later there needs to be results.

I remain optimistic until proven wrong .................

:fingerscrossed:

tfj

Edited by Taxi for Johnson
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

That's correct. Lee needs to learn how to counteract. He will learn. Personally, I only care about City being the best that they can be whether that is with a 30 something year old or a 70 year old manager. I guarantee if we went down and Birmingham finished mid to top half of the table then we'd be wishing we had Harry or Warnock in charge.

Fair enough and point taken, but I suppose what I'm trying to say is you can be young or experienced, but you can't be both. Or to put it another way., how tactically astute were Harry and Colin at 36 (or whatever age LJ currently is)? Were they even in management at that age, for that matter? (You could add to that another question, too - what would they cost you at today's salaries?)

If you want stability, continuity and long-term development, you can hardly appoint an old man of seventy. Even Ferguson couldn't maintain it much beyond that age. And if you invest in youth, you must be prepared for uneven progress. You can't have it all ways (though that won't stop OTIB members demanding precisely that).

12 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Fair enough and point taken, but I suppose what I'm trying to say is you can be young or experienced, but you can't be both. Or to put it another way., how tactically astute were Harry and Colin at 36 (or whatever age LJ currently is)? Were they even in management at that age, for that matter? (You could add to that another question, too - what would they cost you at today's salaries?)

If you want stability, continuity and long-term development, you can hardly appoint an old man of seventy. Even Ferguson couldn't maintain it much beyond that age. And if you invest in youth, you must be prepared for uneven progress. You can't have it all ways (though that won't stop OTIB members demanding precisely that).

Yep. Agreed, which is why implosion after a couple of games of the season is ridiculous. Come November/December time if it is all going Pete Tong then have a dog then. Had we taken our chances yesterday we would have won the game. You can't win em all!

16 hours ago, glos old boy said:

I normally agree with most of what you say but; we made loads of signings last year and we have lost exp players this season; you could say the backbone/heart of the team, Wilbs will be a big miss off and on the pitch, Flinty seems to be the devil incarnate, Tomlin is the devil, add that to Taylor/Đurić mystery groin injuries (through training?) and Engval (not needed sent elsewhere) and of course Tammy

I believe we are now more light weight now and is it really a good plan to play Hegs in the defence, as from what I`ve seen tends to wander more into the midfield? I saw Brum as our first real test there will be many tougher away games, this league is not forgiving at all and we and our manager need to wise up a bit  more and quick.

We survived a relegation dog fight last year. A lot of that squad is still at Ashton Gate and now just that little bit more experienced. From what I have seen so far we are far more attacking now rather than rabbits in headlights, but what we do need to do is to be able to bounce back from going behind and if we can do that and win then I really think that we will be ok this season and easily finish mid table if not slightly higher.

On 8/14/2017 at 00:52, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't think that's true. Impression I get is that most are willing to give him and the team a chance. A bad run like last season though and that'll quickly change.

Regarding most of us are in the 'Johnson out camp' ~ I think the guy you were responding to was suggesting 'we are indeed mostly in that camp, feel it in our gut, but we are of course gonna give the guy the benefit of the doubt for a while. 

I think a lot of people though have noticed he has already started to make some similar tactical errors that he did last season. 

If we assume that he has less nous than the average more experienced manager in this division but add in that we are the 7th highest spenders, lady luck, stupid sackings, clueless foreign managers then we should probably finish about 14th. I forgot learning on the job so assuming he does continue to show improvement maybe 10th. Would you all settle for that right now?

Edited by havanatopia
4 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Regarding most of us are in the 'Johnson out camp' ~ I think the guy you were responding to was suggesting 'we are indeed mostly in that camp, feel it in our gut, but we are of course gonna give the guy the benefit of the doubt for a while. 

I think a lot of people though have noticed he has already started to make some similar tactical errors that he did last season. 

If we assume that he has less nous than the average more experienced manager in this division but add in that we are the 7th highest spenders, lady luck, stupid sackings, clueless foreign managers then we should probably finish about 14th. I forgot learning on the job so assuming he does continue to show improvement maybe 10th. Would you all settle for that right now?

IMO, the problem is that all three of the coaching staff are rookies at managing games at this level. To change two midfielders for two wingers at the same time smacks of inexperience to me. We should have gone for a point at 1-1 and not gung ho for three. By doing the cautious route, it's still possible to snatch a win on the break.

The odd goal defeats syndrome must be stopped immediately.

• Like 1