IGNORED

Fielding

Ashton98

8 minutes ago, Reading Red UTC said:

Distribution is woeful but his shotstopping has won us a point tonight! Three fantastic saves. 

I think it was more than 3!! A great performance from FF tonight. We were up against Bentley who we were supposedly tracking for ages.  On tonight's performance I know who I'd rather have. 

Well done Frankie, quietly confident that he'll see off all challengers and be our first choice for the majority of the season.

The Barnsley game was the first of his fifth season with us, in every single one of them he's been in goal for the first game of it..

FF was magnificent....Kept us in it with some superb goal keeping

The defence was only the problem as our midfield and forwards could not win and keep the ball for any period....

Subs arguable but Odowda looks a threat....Reid up as lone striker in a 451 speaks for itself really....But we got a bit of luck at the death....Take it, we didn't get much last season!!  

45 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

Top performance from Frank. A replacement keeper should be well down our list of priorities.

Replacement maybe, but he does need competition to keep him on his toes/alternative if inured. Not sure how confident I'd be with Lucic or O'Leary if Frankie faced a spell on the sidelines. 

Some incredible saves tonight though, top quality Frankie :clap:

I'm not overly bothered about his kicking. 

When we had Lucic trying to play it out last season a lot of people were shouting for him to clear it up field. Make your mind up! 

He does kick a few out of play, but he's usually aiming for Bryan far out on the left wing. 

Also, his distribution must be a lot harder to improve because our side barring Pack & Diedhiou are all under 6ft aren't they? Diedhiou drops quite deep which doesn't help, but he's probably under instruction to do so, which leaves Bobby Reid trying to win headers for most of the game.

I do like Fielding, but I would be eager to replace if I was manager. He's an incredible shot stopper, but I'd reluctantly say not much else. I'd be desperate for someone more rounded, even if they weren't quite up to Fielding's ability to pull out a worldy save every now and again.  

I watched Fielding closely last night. How he is a 1st choice for a championship side, I will never know.... OK, if you watch the highlights and it shows he makes some "great saves" - would we not expect a keeper to save them. We know he is a good shot stopper from close range but if you are going to judge him judge him on:

1. He has zero command of his box. 

2. He took approximately 15 kicks from general play. Not one went to a City shirt or ended with City in possession. As a result we were under near constant pressure and as a result the only way out was to "hoof it". We had zero rhythm. For me, this is why Hegeler must play at the back as he can play and is happy to take the ball under pressure. 

3. He kicked balls in touch under little or no pressure.  

4. He constantly went long and did it slowly - Dhiedhou won very little. Yet this was persisted with. There was no variation in his distribution and it was all so slow, even when we went behind. 

I am pretty certain LJ knows he needs a keeper to replace Fielding but my goodness cannot see that he should retain the No 1 . A great servant and a good No 2 to have as backup but there must be better. 

Made some great saves which sway people but he was a huge factor Brentford kept having those chances because all he did was kick the ball back to Brentford. 

Doesnt help us keep the ball and had he not constantly gave them the ball back, he would have had less to do. Vicious circle. Imo desperately need a new keeper

1 minute ago, Bs4Red said:

Made some great saves which sway people but he was a huge factor Brentford kept having those chances because all he did was kick the ball back to Brentford. 

Doesnt help us keep the ball and had he not constantly gave them the ball back, he would have had less to do. Vicious circle. Imo desperately need a new keeper

Whilst he was undoubtedly the Man of the Match for me, he did concede a lot of possession and there was one point in injury time before we equalised where there was a quick break on and he managed to kick the ball into touch. Had we been playing rugby, it would have been a great strategy. As it was, it could easily have ruined a great chance to get a point. 

There was also an absolute kamikaze moment earlier in the first half. It was not wholly his fault as the ball was played back to him in a way that put him under pressure. But I'm not sure trying to beat his man twice on the edge of the area with nobody around was the safest strategy. Luckily he got away with it...

1 hour ago, MarkRed! said:

I watched Fielding closely last night. How he is a 1st choice for a championship side, I will never know.... OK, if you watch the highlights and it shows he makes some "great saves" - would we not expect a keeper to save them. We know he is a good shot stopper from close range but if you are going to judge him judge him on:

1. He has zero command of his box.  Depends if you want him (not the tallest) flying out and potentially missing crosses or staying on his line where he'd have a better chance if they win the header?

2. He took approximately 15 kicks from general play. Not one went to a City shirt or ended with City in possession. Doubtful.  As a result we were under near constant pressure and as a result the only way out was to "hoof it". Not entirely a Frank Fielding problem, blame the midfield for not stringing together more than 3 passes. We had zero rhythm. For me, this is why Hegeler must play at the back as he can play and is happy to take the ball under pressure. 

3. He kicked balls in touch under little or no pressure.  I remember this happening once

4. He constantly went long and did it slowly - Dhiedhou won very little. Yet this was persisted with. There was no variation in his distribution and it was all so slow, even when we went behind. Again, is this Fieldings fault? We have little height in the entire team, and if we're tactically not set up for players to receive the ball short from FF what is he expected to do? It's either long to Diedhiou or long to Bryan. 

I am pretty certain LJ knows he needs a keeper to replace Fielding but my goodness cannot see that he should retain the No 1 . A great servant and a good No 2 to have as backup but there must be better. 

He's far from perfect, but can't believe some of the criticism sent his way. Didn't see anybody moaning about O'Donnells distribution despite it being worse the season they played the same amount of games. 

16 hours ago, screech said:

Can I just say I don't give a f''k about his kicking, he's a goalkeeper for crying out loud.

Bristol City are attempting to play a possession based game and play through the thirds. This requires a footballing goalkeeper.

Sorry to go all statto but Goalkeepers have ceased to be Goalkeepers. 60-70% of the game will be played with their feet. Keepers have to become outfield players and an option while in possession. 

Mr Johnson wants to employ a high press this will mean the Keeper will have to control the space in behind as a sweeper.

Turning the ball over to the opposition frequently does result in a enormous differential between winning and loss. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Bristol City are attempting to play a possession based game and play through the thirds. This requires a footballing goalkeeper.

Sorry to go all statto but Goalkeepers have ceased to be Goalkeepers. 60-70% of the game will be played with their feet. Keepers have to become outfield players and an option while in possession. 

Mr Johnson wants to employ a high press this will mean the Keeper will have to control the space in behind as a sweeper.

Turning the ball over to the opposition frequently does result in a enormous differential between winning and loss. 

That may be true for about half a dozen teams in the world to play this way but there isn't a goalkeeper available for the peanuts that we have at our disposal. 

It's fantasy football I'm afraid. I'd rather Frank concentrate on what he's good at, using his hands and being a goalkeeper. 

Using quick defenders to shore up space in behind would be easier to find than the latest fad of sweeper goalkeepers.

If they are looking for a decent sweeper keeper then they will be in for a very long wait. I'll stick with Frank thanks. Very underrated. 

4 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

1. He has zero command of his box. 

2. He took approximately 15 kicks from general play. Not one went to a City shirt or ended with City in possession. As a result we were under near constant pressure and as a result the only way out was to "hoof it". We had zero rhythm. For me, this is why Hegeler must play at the back as he can play and is happy to take the ball under pressure. 

3. He kicked balls in touch under little or no pressure.  

4. He constantly went long and did it slowly - Dhiedhou won very little. Yet this was persisted with. There was no variation in his distribution and it was all so slow, even when we went behind. 

Yes, "Fielding was utter garbage but some majestic saves kept us in it and will take the focus off his dire display."

:rofl2br:

26 minutes ago, screech said:

That may be true for about half a dozen teams in the world to play this way but there isn't a goalkeeper available for the peanuts that we have at our disposal. 

It's fantasy football I'm afraid. I'd rather Frank concentrate on what he's good at, using his hands and being a goalkeeper. 

Using quick defenders to shore up space in behind would be easier to find than the latest fad of sweeper goalkeepers.

If they are looking for a decent sweeper keeper then they will be in for a very long wait. I'll stick with Frank thanks. Very underrated. 

The 60-70% stats is a fact for all Keepers. It is no fantasy, that is where football is since the game changed in 95/96 (back pass) and evolved to where it is now. 

The above is not fantasy football it is the norm. A norm that will not go away.

Sweeping Keepers were a feature of Liverpools sides - Clemence and Grobbelar. It is no fad. 

My post was not to denigrate Frank Fieldings performance but is an answer to your post of don't give a f''k about his kicking, he's a goalkeeper which ignores where football is and is heading. It is a game of marginal gains, gains which are lost and nulled by not retaining simple possession. 

Keepers now simply have to possess skills similar to outfield players. Its inane to think that a keeper failing to retain possession constantly will not cost the team points when the same benchmark is accepted for outfield players. 

8 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Yes, "Fielding was utter garbage but some majestic saves kept us in it and will take the focus off his dire display."

:rofl2br:

He was garbage but that will be overlooked by the "saves" that will be played on TV - people will say he was MOM. He was not. His distribution was piss poor as usual and most of the time we were under pressure because of his crap kicks, Brentford then beautifully pressed us so we could barely get over the half way line. How they did not beat us I will never know. On a serious note though, I dont know why we bother having GK coaches - he has not improved his kicking since LJ has come to the helm...... 

1 hour ago, MarkRed! said:

On a serious note though, I dont know why we bother having GK coaches - he has not improved his kicking since LJ has come to the helm...... 

It seems slightly odd, as FF looked like he wanted to play as a sweeper a couple of times last night, and looks comfortable with the ball at his feet, just not accurate enough with his distribution. 

That should be quite easily sorted with the right training/practice. Whether he isn't getting that practice, or whether it isn't working, who knows...?

5 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

He was garbage but that will be overlooked by the "saves" that will be played on TV - people will say he was MOM. He was not. His distribution was piss poor as usual and most of the time we were under pressure because of his crap kicks, Brentford then beautifully pressed us so we could barely get over the half way line. How they did not beat us I will never know. On a serious note though, I dont know why we bother having GK coaches - he has not improved his kicking since LJ has come to the helm...... 

So who shall we have in goal?

Someone who makes "some majestic saves" that keeps us in the match or someone who can kick and pass the ball?

Which midfielder do you think we should put between the sticks then?

:dunno:

5 hours ago, Cowshed said:

The 60-70% stats is a fact for all Keepers. It is no fantasy, that is where football is since the game changed in 95/96 (back pass) and evolved to where it is now. 

The above is not fantasy football it is the norm. A norm that will not go away.

Sweeping Keepers were a feature of Liverpools sides - Clemence and Grobbelar. It is no fad. 

My post was not to denigrate Frank Fieldings performance but is an answer to your post of don't give a f''k about his kicking, he's a goalkeeper which ignores where football is and is heading. It is a game of marginal gains, gains which are lost and nulled by not retaining simple possession. 

Keepers now simply have to possess skills similar to outfield players. Its inane to think that a keeper failing to retain possession constantly will not cost the team points when the same benchmark is accepted for outfield players. 

It's not where football is heading, I completely disagree.

Goalkeepers have always thrown, rolled or kicked out, football has always been about keeping possession of the ball. It's nothing new I'm afraid.

If you want to attach blame to anyone, blame the players for not finding spaces so they can recieve the ball from deep to start a move.  The goalkeepers who are good with their feet as well as their hands do not play in this league. And I can't see the German national keeper coming here.

People forget when Fielding makes those simple passes across the back line, they only focus on him when he has to smash it long because their isnt an option on to play it short. Pass and move was the Liverpool way, they were a very different side to most clubs back then, they sought the best in every position, we can't.

On 15/08/2017 at 22:03, Fordy62 said:

Bollocks to the distribution if he's going to make saves like tonight. 

Happy to say I've always been a FF fan. 

Me too.  I accept he's not the best in this division, but he's far from being the worst.  Joe likes him too....see photos

6 hours ago, screech said:

You absolute legend...great shout!

20160208_154145716_iOS.jpg

20160209_123126673_iOS.jpg

18 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

So who shall we have in goal?

Someone who makes "some majestic saves" that keeps us in the match or someone who can kick and pass the ball?

Someone who can do both. Not saying he needs to be Beckham but completely agree that FF's poor distribution was a big reason why we struggled to keep hold of the ball last night.

And if he were more dominant around the area we would've squeezed Brentford's space. As it was they could knock it around whilst we defended too deep or they put it over the top knowing FF was glued to his line.

Whilst some of the other reasons were temporary (eg off night for Pato, Dieudhoui tired) Frankie's issues are a constant. Being a great shot stopper just doesn't make up for the deficiencies at Champ level.

Archived