IGNORED

Bobby

Eddie Notgetinya

He's been the most pleasant surprise of the season so far, I hope he continues to improve.  Mentioned it in the other thread but perhaps moving him forward is a stroke of genius - I felt before he struggled to make the right choices too often but that's a bit easier when all you have to do is score!  Good luck to him.  We do need some backup on the bench, will have to see how Taylor and Đurić look when they come back.

Well pleased with what he has brought into the team this season so far. 

He's taken some of his chances plus is linking midfield to attack so well at the moment. If you swap him for someone who is rated as a striker first and foremost then you could lose that link up play he provides. It's good to have these options now. I think Taylor is probably the most similar player to him in this respect so will be good to get him back fit. 

On 12/08/2017 at 19:10, robin_unreliant said:

Gets into some good positions and links play well. Not convinced his finishing will ever be good enough to play as a striker week in and week out. 

One thing I think with his finishing is perhaps trying too hard to make sure he converts a chance.  I'm no coach but understandable.  The more he plays up top, the more chances he'll get, little bit more relaxed each time, confidence builds etc etc

22 minutes ago, Float'n Over said:

One thing I think with his finishing is perhaps trying too hard to make sure he converts a chance.  I'm no coach but understandable.  The more he plays up top, the more chances he'll get, little bit more relaxed each time, confidence builds etc etc

Reminds me a bit of MT last season, overeager to impress and snatching too much.

Seems to me having a really strong purple patch is a theme of Bobby Reid. Look back the past 3 seasons, he's turned it on in all at some point which is why he sometimes looks to me worth persevering with. 

I'm not particuarly surprised by his form; albeit adding goals is a great bonus. Key is can he keep it up. I really hope so, but I think he's had his 9 lives now.

People saying we don't need a striker or counting him as one really surprise me  

Leave this guy in the team. He's lively, wants to do well and seems to have the knack of being in the right place at the right time. The more he plays and gets coaching the better and more goals he'll score. Also notice how he tracks back to help out in midfield. I for one, look forward to watching him. Bet he scores against Brentford. 

Just now, reddogkev said:

I love Bobby Reid to bits, almost like he's my cousin or something!  But what really excites me is the fact he seems to be growing dread locks.  Any player with dread locks always seems to become a far better player, almost overnight.

And then they become rubbish again when they cut them off (i.e. Alvaro Saborio).

This supports a long standing theory of mine that players who stand out on the pitch because of their physical appearance get more of the ball and therefore tend to do better.  The exception of course, certainly based on yesterday's match, is Lukaku.

I think he's looking really good, only flaw is his size when he goes in for a header with another player (must've lost 9/10 of them on Saturday). But not that that's too big a deal as it's not really his job to head down the incoming balls, that's something for Fammy to focus on.

Once his finishing get's a bit better he's going to be a real asset to our team (not saying he isn't already - i'm just still a bit gutted he missed that chance at Brum)

37 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I love Bobby Reid to bits, almost like he's my cousin or something!  But what really excites me is the fact he seems to be growing dread locks.  Any player with dread locks always seems to become a far better player, almost overnight.

You never saw Karl Hutchins play then.

The only good thing about him was his dreadlocks .

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

You never saw Karl Hutchins play then.

The only good thing about him was his dreadlocks .

Ah, good old Karl Hutchings. I remember being quite pleased when we signed him from Brentford, he had looked good for the bees.

But yep, he is the exception that proves the rule.

I am afraid that when it comes to crunch moments, Bobby has not delivered. OK he has scored 3 league goals in 2 games, but he missed good chances at Birmingham and with the exception of a few nice touches did F'all in in the second half. He did not influence the play which is what we need him to do. He drifts in and out of games and we need him to dictate the play and grab hold of games. Saturday was crying out for him to do that. Same could also be said of Patterson. 

Bobby missed 1 sitter at Brum and also had another good chance but he did so last season as well (Cardiff and Reading games immediately spring to mind). Playing well for 1 or 2 games is not enough. He needs to do it consistently and he will be judged on his overall play and in key moments of games. He is no longer a youth player breaking through. The Championship is a very unforgiving league where the margins are so small.Personally, I think he is an impact player. We would be better to have Taylor/Đurić up top and when they are fit, wonder if Bobby will still be in the team. Answer, probably not. 

From what I understand, Tammy and Bobby developed a close friendship when he was here. I get the impression that Bobby has seen what is needed to be professional, and what is required at this level to achieve. Hard work and endeavour and belief...as well as natural ability. Plus a lot of humility.

I can see a lot of movement in Bobby this season, that he's not shown before. Anticipation and reading the game better...are all getting him in good positions.

I think Tammy had a very positive affect on Bobby. Long may it continue.

20 minutes ago, spudski said:

From what I understand, Tammy and Bobby developed a close friendship when he was here. I get the impression that Bobby has seen what is needed to be professional, and what is required at this level to achieve. Hard work and endeavour and belief...as well as natural ability. Plus a lot of humility.

I can see a lot of movement in Bobby this season, that he's not shown before. Anticipation and reading the game better...are all getting him in good positions.

I think Tammy had a very positive affect on Bobby. Long may it continue.

Would also be interesting to know whether Bobby has aspirations of playing in the Premier League.  If he sees Tammy doing reasonably well there this season, he might push himself a bit harder to try to join him.  There has to be a stage, like in all professions, where you either stagnate or have to work hard to raise yourself to the next level.  Even though Tammy is younger, perhaps he can serve to inspire Bobby... perhaps he already has.

Bobby seems to finish better when it's more instinctive.  When he has more time, he seems to overcomplicate things and has missed a few chances you would expect him to score.  What he clearly does has are 2 attributes that not many in the squad have.  Firstly, he can spot a quick incisive through ball.  This has been apparent since he came into the first team.  I remember a through ball to Tammy at home to Brentford last season that begged to be finished (it wasn't) which was a perfect example.  Secondly, he has a knack of reading where the ball will go in the area, hence he's scored a lot of tap ins.   Compare that to someone like Freeman who played like the Penalty area was an exclusion zone.  

Add this to his work rate and his ability to link up with people around him and we have a very good attacking player.  Hopefully he remains in the team and can maintain this level of performance.  He's at the age where he needs to show consistency.

8 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

I am afraid that when it comes to crunch moments, Bobby has not delivered. OK he has scored 3 league goals in 2 games, but he missed good chances at Birmingham and with the exception of a few nice touches did F'all in in the second half. He did not influence the play which is what we need him to do. He drifts in and out of games and we need him to dictate the play and grab hold of games. Saturday was crying out for him to do that. Same could also be said of Patterson. 

Bobby missed 1 sitter at Brum and also had another good chance but he did so last season as well (Cardiff and Reading games immediately spring to mind). Playing well for 1 or 2 games is not enough. He needs to do it consistently and he will be judged on his overall play and in key moments of games. He is no longer a youth player breaking through. The Championship is a very unforgiving league where the margins are so small.Personally, I think he is an impact player. We would be better to have Taylor/Đurić up top and when they are fit, wonder if Bobby will still be in the team. Answer, probably not. 

I really don't get the "missed a good chance" - write him off type comments.

No striker, not even a clinical striker takes all his chances, let alone one who's playing his first few games there (certainly in senior football).

Look at the following link: http://www.eifsoccer.com/articles/conversion-rate/ and this is for the top scorers!  Das Bost at 1 in 3 the best.

More than happy to hear a dissection of his performance though.  He's not one of our top players, so he will flit in and out, but even our better players don't dominate or grab a game by the scruff.

Nor am I getting carried away by 3 in 2.5 games.  That will level out (if it doesn't he may we'll be a £5m striker!), and if / when it does, it will be his all around game that makes it breaks him.  I wasn't at Brum, but neither 'miss' was a sitter from the highlights imho.  Good chances, yes, but not "easier to score" chances. But I know some / many will argue they were.  I like the way he buzzes around and will take a bit of the running off of Diedhiou whilst he gets up to speed.  He's better technically that Taylor too.  But I'm not a huge fan of Taylor...that might bias my view.

He's giving the manager an option, and not a bad one at the mo'.  Let's give him a bit of credit.

Archived