IGNORED

Flint sitiation...how does it get resolved (even more merging)

The Humble Realist

It's a weird one, as the longer he's out of contention for the first team, the more unlikely his return to the fold looks.

But being he has a long contract, I don't think we'll be wanting to cheaply let him go, which makes the situation a bit uncomfortable.

Think he's probably made it clear he wants out, we've said "fine", but the sticking point is the fee; he's probably worth more to us than others in a strange way, so we're saying £4-5 million, and others are not keen.

Do feel we're already bought his replacement, and this has complicated matters; Flint would undoubtably be playing if it wasn't for the interest in him.

I'm disappointed the way things had gone, but do think we have to think long term as a club, and if we do stand to make serious money from him, and have players left who can replace him (Baker and Wright are solid defenders for this level to me), then we would be foolish to not consider it.

There does not appear to be a long cue for Flint does there... Plainly, he has a contract and if a club does not match our fee then he is going nowhere. The big problem for LJ is how he manages that situation given the number of CB's we now have. They cant all play and wont all be in the squad. Personally, think we should just take the best offer for Flint and run.... he aint worth the £ being talked about IMO. 

32 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

There does not appear to be a long cue for Flint does there... Plainly, he has a contract and if a club does not match our fee then he is going nowhere. The big problem for LJ is how he manages that situation given the number of CB's we now have. They cant all play and wont all be in the squad. Personally, think we should just take the best offer for Flint and run.... he aint worth the £ being talked about IMO. 

If we took 2 million I would see that as good business, he is only going to go for a higher price if there is a bidding war, which I suppose is possible before the window, but as we stand it appears that only Birmingham have made a definite bid for him, although Leeds and Middlesbrough may have had an interest.  We've already bought our replacement, we just need to move this along asap.  

Two weeks is a long time in football.  Still see transfers going through, and in some cases just takes someone like a Gibson at Boro' to go to the Prem and it starts a chain reaction (domino effect in a spiders web :P).

Personally, I'd only sell at the right price.  If no-one comes in then Flint has to decide how much if a pro' he is.  He does not strike as the sit and sulk guy, LJ indicated an amicable discussion last week. If of course he does, then we'll see what Flint is all about.  I hope if nothing happens then he knuckles down and fights for his place.

I really hope we don't bow down and sell at a low price.  There's no rush.

Aden Flint... it's a hard one isn't it. A lot of the championship big boys want him, so you'd think us, being one of the smaller teams should want him in our starting 11 but the way things have panned out he now sees himself not even making the becnh. So what happens when September 1st rolls up and he's still here? We have a 5m+ rated defender and what was a club hero rotting on the bench or not even making it.. if this happens do we give him another chance? Does he deserve to have a go in the team? He's to good to not play but not committed enough to play.. and with Wright our new club captain, Baker our most clubs most expensive defender, is there room for Flint now?

do we give him another chance when September comes? Or let him rot in the reserves? Shame this has happened as it has.. 

17 minutes ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

Aden Flint... it's a hard one isn't it. A lot of the championship big boys want him, so you'd think us, being one of the smaller teams should want him in our starting 11 but the way things have panned out he now sees himself not even making the becnh. So what happens when September 1st rolls up and he's still here? We have a 5m+ rated defender and what was a club hero rotting on the bench or not even making it.. if this happens do we give him another chance? Does he deserve to have a go in the team? He's to good to not play but not committed enough to play.. and with Wright our new club captain, Baker our most clubs most expensive defender, is there room for Flint now?

do we give him another chance when September comes? Or let him rot in the reserves? Shame this has happened as it has.. 

Get rid. Time to cash in.  Certainly not irreplaceable.  

21 minutes ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

There is no grey for me. Its a straight up black and white situation.

Aden Flint is under contract to Bristol City.  There have been bids received that were rejected.  Our valuation has not been met.  It might not be met during this window.

In a post match interview with LJ, he has said there is a way back for Aden. Commit to Bristol City, kiss the badge etc

If he moves on for our valuation, fine him like Kodjia/Freeman.

If he stays, fine him. I would fully expect AF to recommit to Bristol City and play if selected.  Water under the bridge.  However there is no guarantee of a place.  We have strengthened in those areas and I hope Baker is an upgrade on Flint.

This whole episode has been distastefully played out for all to see.  Its modern day football I guess.  For me, its certainly taken the gloss of a player who could of and should of gone down as a true hero, but now I cant see it.

Stevo

On 13/08/2017 at 15:22, chinapig said:

Here's a scenario I could imagine.

Flint has a great game at Brighton, helped by them pumping high balls into the box. Last game of the season and is on Sky. Pundits big him up and he gets MOM.

Agent gets carried away and promises Flint he can get him a much bigger deal as plenty of clubs will want him now. Flint sees one last chance for a big payday so says go ahead.

Turns out only one club has serious interest, but not enough to meet the price. Agent tries again to drum up interest but no takers, leaving him with one very disgruntled client. Client sacks agent and has to decide whether to knuckle down or sulk.

And, of course, LJ gets the blame. :shifty:

It could possibly be because the club/Flinty is waiting for the transfer chain to click into motion further up the line? Isn't that why a lot of transfers happen in the last couple of days of the window?

On 13/08/2017 at 15:22, chinapig said:

Here's a scenario I could imagine.

Flint has a great game at Brighton, helped by them pumping high balls into the box. Last game of the season and is on Sky. Pundits big him up and he gets MOM.

Agent gets carried away and promises Flint he can get him a much bigger deal as plenty of clubs will want him now. Flint sees one last chance for a big payday so says go ahead.

Turns out only one club has serious interest, but not enough to meet the price. Agent tries again to drum up interest but no takers, leaving him with one very disgruntled client. Client sacks agent and has to decide whether to knuckle down or sulk.

And, of course, LJ gets the blame. :shifty:

That's my take on it and don't really blame him for wanting a more lucrative contract at his age but you make your bed...

26 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It could possibly be because the club/Flinty is waiting for the transfer chain to click into motion further up the line? Isn't that why a lot of transfers happen in the last couple of days of the window?

Agree, that's my thinking.

There perhaps IS other interest, known only to AF, agent and our hierarchy but being kept under wraps as it affects other deals, possibly a player coming to us and the interested club is preferable to AF.  Would explain not playing him and risking injury.

"Arry" has put out feelers but even his contacts cannot shed any light on it so cools interest in advance of rejection.

The guy at Sky Sports with the yellow tie may be still be saying on deadline day "Breaking news now from Ashton Gate and X......."

Pulis ??? :whistle:

On 8/12/2017 at 21:13, Corsham Alf said:

You clearly were not watching today's match. B-Wright was simply awful. He simply cannot complete even basic passes and has the turning circle of the QE2. For me he should never have been made Captain. How can LJ drop him now??

I know that Bailey Wright didn't have the best game on Saturday, but don't condemn him on the basis of one game.  He has been magnificent in others. 

On your second question, of course LJ can drop him and he's dropped captains before.  Its no big deal.

Just checking, Flint hasn't handed in a transfer request, has he?  If not, no problem.

Either he goes and we get some good coin in the back pocket, or he stays and battles back into the first team. If he doesn't get back into the team right away, it means our defence is doing pretty well!

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Just checking, Flint hasn't handed in a transfer request, has he?  If not, no problem.

Either he goes and we get some good coin in the back pocket, or he stays and battles back into the first team. If he doesn't get back into the team right away, it means our defence is doing pretty well!

No because he'll lose out financially if he does.

Archived