IGNORED

Players' ratings for Brum game?

mrevans

Fielding 5 - couple of smart saves, but his distribution is awful and he kept kicking the ball either out of play or straight to their players. Nearly gifted Cotterill a goal with one such clearance. Cant see why he is our Number 1.

Pisano 7 - Solid. An improvement on Little.

Wright 7 - Generally played well but gives away some stupid free kicks in dangerous positions. Not sure about his distribution either. Personally would not have made him club captain. I would like to see Baker come in for him.

Hegeler 7 - Neat, tidy and made some good interceptions. Linked the play well.  Being criticised by some for the goal but for me the midfield was at fault for getting caught too far up field. The player who scored made an identical run some 15 mins or so before hand and was hacked down by Pack (I think) in similar circumstances. Thus, we had been warned.

Bryan 7 - Solid. Looks to have developed the LB role.

Brownhill 6 -  Neat and tidy in the first half but faded in the second half.  

Pack 7 - decent, no frills.

Smith 4 - Did not realise he was playing today. For a defensive midfielder he must do more for me. Jury is out on whether he can play at this level. Gave the ball away and did nothing of any note. I thought he was our worst performer and I would have brought on O'Neill. Although he has been a let down, hasn't he?

Patterson 5 - Ok first half and then vanished. Second half, could not make a pass and was woeful.

Diedhiou 8 - STAR MAN. Unplayable and caused havoc in the first half. Second half we did not get him in the game at all and reverted to lumping long balls at him. Wasted his strengths but looks a very good signing.

Reid 6 - Ok he scored, but it was a tap in. Did little else in the game and his key moments were missing two guilt edge chances. At least one of those had to go in for me. As soon as Taylor is fit, he should be played with Bobby coming on as an impact player. Just does not have the strength to impose himself on games. Sorry Bobby....

O'Dowda 6 - couple of runs and crosses into the box. Still a bit lightweight for me.

Eliason 6 - looks promising but gave the ball away for the goal. Perhaps thrown in a little too early for me when the game was tight. Would have preferred to have had a striker come on for Reid - oh yes, we have none left......

• Admin

I'd be interested to see a Manager rating added to posts like this, I have no idea as I wasn't there, early days of the new season I appreciate, but does today cause any concern that we may still be struggling to find the best system or plan to keep it tight away from home?

Just now, MarkRed! said:

Yes, good point.... actually, would have liked to have seen Hinds come on. Surprised that he was not brought on for Reid.

I think that was a more 'show off Eliasson' tactic opposed to actual tactical thinking though from LJ. Think he betted on 2 wingers knocking the ball into Fammy which was the problem 

Just now, Eastside Moonwalker said:

I think that was a more 'show off Eliasson' tactic opposed to actual tactical thinking though from LJ. Think he betted on 2 wingers knocking the ball into Fammy which was the problem 

I think your right there. It was a bad move by LJ as we look very dangerous when we had the ball on the deck, playing at close quarters. As soon as we started lumping it, we were playing to Birmingham's strengths.

No idea what Brownhill did to be rated so badly today. Yes he doesn't get at his man but then he's vital to the way we play and actually game went away from us after he went off.  Bryan was mom and wright had a shocking last 30 mins with sloppy passing and needless fouls.  Played well but again not ruthless enough and need a striker as Fammy was out on his  feet with 25 to go

4 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I'd be interested to see a Manager rating added to posts like this, I have no idea as I wasn't there, early days of the new season I appreciate, but does today cause any concern that we may still be struggling to find the best system or plan to keep it tight away from home?

I am not sure playing 2 in CM is the way to go in the Championship. I felt we were a little bit open in the midfield with only Pack and Smith in there. The latter was hardly in the game at all. Personally I would like us to play 352 away from home. We played well today but still conceded two goals, both of which I feel were preventable.

Post gave bobby an 8! He did get in some good positions, but a combination of not enough movement and the rest of the team thinking he was 6ft+ by chucking the ball up to him meant he disappeared a fair bit in the second half. 

I'd go:

frankie - 7 (made some good saves)

pisano - 7 (solid but a couple of poor passes)

hegeler - 6 (thought he should of done more with the ball)

wright - 6 (too many needless fouls)

bryan - 7 (nearly an 8, pretty solid, would of liked a bit more going forward)

smith - 7 (I actually thought he did ok, won the ball a bit, played it around well)

pack - 6 (few decent passes, but don't remember a great deal)

paterson - 7 (linked up well with the front men)

brownhill - 7 (like paterson linked up well, worked hard and was surprised he was taken off)

reid - 7 (could possibly go 6, didn't play to his strengths in the second half, was in the right place for his chances though)

diedou - 8 (was brilliant in the first half, not we seemed to stop giving him the ball in the second and they got more people round him)

26 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Feels to me that the issue isn't so much the initial game plan, it's more the ability to adapt in the game.

25 minutes ago, Eastside Moonwalker said:

We have big Arnold '40k punt' Garita and newly called up youth team player Freddie Hinds!!! ;)

23 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Yes, good point.... actually, would have liked to have seen Hinds come on. Surprised that he was not brought on for Reid.

Although Hinds may develop into a good Championship player in time, I think he's a long way from that standard at present. He scored an good goal on Tuesday, and was a busy runner, but he didn't really test the Plymouth defence during the rest of the match. And this was against a team that had 9 changes from the one that played in the previous, league, match. Hinds being sub demonstrates one thing - we're desperately short of forward options at present 

32 minutes ago, EDoubleD said:

Post gave bobby an 8! He did get in some good positions, but a combination of not enough movement and the rest of the team thinking he was 6ft+ by chucking the ball up to him meant he disappeared a fair bit in the second half. 

I'd go:

frankie - 7 (made some good saves)

pisano - 7 (solid but a couple of poor passes)

hegeler - 6 (thought he should of done more with the ball)

wright - 6 (too many needless fouls)

bryan - 7 (nearly an 8, pretty solid, would of liked a bit more going forward)

smith - 7 (I actually thought he did ok, won the ball a bit, played it around well)

pack - 6 (few decent passes, but don't remember a great deal)

paterson - 7 (linked up well with the front men)

brownhill - 7 (like paterson linked up well, worked hard and was surprised he was taken off)

reid - 7 (could possibly go 6, didn't play to his strengths in the second half, was in the right place for his chances though)

diedou - 8 (was brilliant in the first half, not we seemed to stop giving him the ball in the second and they got more people round him)

Pretty close to what I'd give 

Thought Pack was immense in the closing down energy side of things, but a few on here seem to notice the odd bad pass that Brum did all the time first half due to his pressing 

Archived