IGNORED

OTIB is back!

brizzlelou

I do find it amusing that after a loss, we start to see the same old posters crawling back out. Not happy with the loss but not overly concerned either. Could get a decent result against Brentford in my humble opinion who look fairly similar to us at the moment. Famara looked good and Eliasson could be quite the edition to the squad. Not 100% set on Jens as CB but sure we'll have a settled back pairing soon. Could be a good season this year.

No one has posted anything that controversial or over the top from what I can see.

A few people with justified concerns about a 'hangover' from last season's problems.

The ratio of those overly pessimistic after yesterday seems to match the ratio of those who were overly optimistic after last weekend. Just about cancels each other out I think.

Most fans seem fairly realistic that there are promising signs and some concerns but overall too early to say.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No one has posted anything that controversial or over the top from what I can see.

A few people with justified concerns about a 'hangover' from last season's problems.

The ratio of those overly pessimistic after yesterday seems to match the ratio of those who were overly optimistic after last weekend. Just about cancels each other out I think.

Most fans seem fairly realistic that there are promising signs and some concerns but overall too early to say.

Some posters seem to get pessimism muddled up with 'concern', what really concerns me is our away record since LJ became our manager. 

By my rough calculation we have won just 4 of the 30 plus away games since he's been in charge. It simply isn't good enough, and his tactics have proven to not work. We simply can't go on like this anymore. 

I still don't think we have improved enough at the back (maybe even not as good as last season if you include Flint going) and lost quality up front.

No one on here is going to convince me that Baker is better than Flint or that Famara is better/equal to Tammy - if I'm going to be convinced its going to happen on the pitch. I do think Pisano is looking like a marked improvement on Little which was an issue last season.

I cant see why anyone would think at the moment that were going to have a much better season than last season which seemed to be the consensus on here last week.

Don't get me wrong I hope we do have a better season and we progress - I just cant see how it will happen at the moment so I cant see how others can other than hopes and dreams.

3 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Some posters seem to get pessimism muddled up with 'concern', what really concerns me is our away record since LJ became our manager. 

By my rough calculation we have won just 4 of the 30 plus away games since he's been in charge. It simply isn't good enough, and his tactics have proven to not work. We simply can't go on like this anymore. 

Didn't see the game so can't comment really - but I feel the substitutions were wrong. They were the sort of substitutions I would've made on Football Manager at 1-1!

I think LJ should have left Brownhill on but given Eliasson some minutes. Keeps us a bit more secure but also gives us that injection of pace.

I think people who were at the game have been pretty objective about it all, no meltdowns on here that I've seen. You really can't tell much until around October.

6 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Didn't see the game so can't comment really - but I feel the substitutions were wrong. They were the sort of substitutions I would've made on Football Manager at 1-1!

I think LJ should have left Brownhill on but given Eliasson some minutes. Keeps us a bit more secure but also gives us that injection of pace.

I think people who were at the game have been pretty objective about it all, no meltdowns on here that I've seen. You really can't tell much until around October.

Agree about the substitutions - that really did 'cost' us.

Cant wait for Diedhiou to be 'up to speed' either; after 60 minutes in both games he has been 'blowing hard' and at the moment we don't have the option to replace him. Once he is fully up to speed with the Championship and can be effective for 90 minutes then I think that may help us either see more games out or pose more of a threat deep in to the game. For the first 60 mins in both games he has been fantastic. 

9 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I still don't think we have improved enough at the back (maybe even not as good as last season if you include Flint going) and lost quality up front.

No one on here is going to convince me that Baker is better than Flint or that Famara is better/equal to Tammy - if I'm going to be convinced its going to happen on the pitch. I do think Pisano is looking like a marked improvement on Little which was an issue last season.

I cant see why anyone would think at the moment that were going to have a much better season than last season which seemed to be the consensus on here last week.

Don't get me wrong I hope we do have a better season and we progress - I just cant see how it will happen at the moment so I cant see how others can other than hopes and dreams.

Regardless of how you rate individuals, people are simply reacting to the good football we have been playing as a team.

17 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

However we were playing yesterday there was a sense of inevitability about Brum getting a winner. It may be partly tactical - LJ went for more of the same rather than counter their change of approach - but I do wonder whether the players have come to expect to lose away, even if unconsciously.

Somehow we have deal with both elements, but does LJ acknowledge them or will he carry on as normal?

The difference this year is how we are pressing and moving the ball around quicker - even better than the start last year (I think we got a bit of luck with other results going our way as well)

Definitely an improvement- I think the substitutions cost us but on the flip side at least LJ looked to be having a go for 3 points 

And I was entertained by my team which I also like 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No doubt that the fans of teams who lost yesterday feel pretty much the same.

Fact is, no one knows how the season will pan out and over many years I've learnt to just "go with the flow"  :dunno:

8 hours ago, brizzlelou said:

I do find it amusing that after a loss, we start to see the same old posters crawling back out. Not happy with the loss but not overly concerned either. Could get a decent result against Brentford in my humble opinion who look fairly similar to us at the moment. Famara looked good and Eliasson could be quite the edition to the squad. Not 100% set on Jens as CB but sure we'll have a settled back pairing soon. Could be a good season this year.

Nice try :clap:

We lost 14 of our 23 away games last season and despite taking a first minute lead yesterday, have now lost our first one this.

Until we look like picking up points consistently away from home under LJ we will always be looking at the bottom of the table, not at the top half.

If this makes you think people are negative then so be it, fact is we are a poor, poor side points wise away from home and 60% possession and saying that "we deserved more" changes absolutely nothing...

Tuesday is now very important, Brentford have lost both games so far, if we lose again away that will suggest that last season's away form is going to continue.

9 hours ago, brizzlelou said:

Incredible post Brentford along with Barnsley and Burton Albion have 0 points so can get a result out of Brentford-that is if we want it.

10 hours ago, pillred said:

I'm hoping for a bike this year!

If you were one of my grand kids all you need to do is show the crack of your arse and I say did you have a bike for Christmas , sometimes they get their own back but I think they are talking motorbikes.

20 hours ago, brizzlelou said:

A few "coulds" there mate, a lot of things good and bad could happen.

25 shots only 3 on target.

No good having all the possession and running the game if that pressure is not translated into goals. Last season at Derby we went 3 up and while we should never have thrown away a 3 goal lead, we missed a host of clear cut chances that would have put us out of sight.

Our last 3 games have seen us score all our goals in the first half, and very early so too. Are we mentally taking our foot off the pedal after half time and giving teams the chance to get a foothold in the game? Is the high pressing game not sustainable for 90 minutes - or at least not until  the team has full match fitness ( fans comments indicate that Fammy is blowing after an hour)?

I don't advocate defending a lead, as too often last year we started dropping back deeper and deeper to defend and that just concedes possession and puts us under increasing pressure. However, Lj needs to find the way of making us hard to break down and the manage a lead when, as happened on Saturday, the opposition change things to counter our playing style but without becoming him then becoming the tinker man and making changes for the sake of.

P.S. This is not a moan more of an observation, as I am pretty pleased with the way things seem to be going. I like the high pressing game that LJ has adopted as Ive always felt it is far better to defend in their half pf the pitch rather than the edge of our penalty area but I think it almost impossible to play that way for 90 minutes, so we need to be able to adapt that style as events determine.

Archived