IGNORED

one half city

cityred exile

Maybe still figuring out this pressing game and tactic I guess??

Over exerting and stretching ourselves leading to us conceding when we should have our games to bed etc

Seems to be a long time if the case but only real thing I can think of... other then a complete lack of mental toughness. 

16 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

League games

v Barnsley. 1st half 3-0 2nd half 0-1

v Birmingham 1st 1-1 2nd 0-1

And plenty of times last season.

Can't say i really noticed this last season because during our bad run we conceded goals in both halfs at different times. Rarely did we dominate and score more than one goal in the first half.

The only games that spring to mind are Derby and Reading at home. Also just remembered Huddersfield.

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Can't say i really noticed this last season because during our bad run we conceded goals in both halfs at different times. Rarely did we dominate and score more than one goal in the first half.

The only games that spring to mind are Derby and Reading at home. Also just remembered Huddersfield.

Without going through the whole season's records, how about Derby County away?

At HT Derby 0 - 3 City. 

At FT 3-3.

3 hours ago, Malago said:

Look on the bright side, at least it's better than "neither half city" which we were for 8 consecutive games last season.

oh there`s plenty of time yet

Reminds me of Liverpool in the season they almost won the league. Would dominate games first half and sometimes raise into a 3/4-0 lead but then struggled in the second half. Could be down to the intensity of our pressing and the work the players are putting in, it can't be sustained for the entirety of the game. It's all about balance, we will get there - the signs are positive at least!!

We could have been 3-0 up at Birmingham and won 3-2 but without taking our chances that we create in this new style early on we are always going to struggle later on

I like the way we are playing and as an earlier poster was saying very reminiscent of Liverpool, it may take time to get the balance right but I hope Johnson sticks with it. 

Last season Johnson didn't hold his nerve and stick with the side that started so well and as soon as we had lost a few on the bounce he kept chopping and changing playing personnel and formations which led to us going on that disastrous run, hopefully he would have learnt from that. 

I noted this against Barnsley.

We put in so much in the first half, and it was a warm day the opening game that a big drop off was inevitable IMO. I think our system relies upon getting the result within the first half, the first hour at a push.

Going forward, if this is the way we are going to play- and it's great to watch, I think we need to be more proactive, improve game management. E.g. We are say 2-0 up at HT, add on an extra midfielder, switch to 4-3-3 and play on break more. Or perhaps again with the 3 in the mid, switch to more of a possession game, frustrate the opposition get them chasing.

Reasonably happy with season to date, but I think this is one area LJ can look at . In particular, perhaps (and I have no idea what they do at training), but perhaps even if he does it already increase planning, i.e. set out 11 v 11 training session 90 mins with our current 1st half shape then switch it up to 4-3-3 with counter or possession at HT really and drill it into them. Really make the shape shifting thing second nature, though this will take some while!

Interesting listening to Dean Holden's interview today.  Said Harry couldn't wait to get to half time and change it by sticking another in midfield.

Who went into midfield out of Adams or Donaldson, or did one go wide, and the other stay central.

I heard no tactical references on the radio commentary, nor have I read anything on OTIB from our tactical sages....unless I missed it.  Apologies if I have.

Was that the difference, going 451?  Or were we just sloppy as suggested?  Did we stop working as hard without the ball?

Asking for a friend!!!

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting listening to Dean Holden's interview today.  Said Harry couldn't wait to get to half time and change it by sticking another in midfield.

Who went into midfield out of Adams or Donaldson, or did one go wide, and the other stay central.

I heard no tactical references on the radio commentary, nor have I read anything on OTIB from our tactical sages....unless I missed it.  Apologies if I have.

Was that the difference, going 451?  Or were we just sloppy as suggested?  Did we stop working as hard without the ball?

Asking for a friend!!!

Arry said it best tbh:

"They're a good team but we beat them in the end," he said."First half I thought they were better than us. We had to hang in there - I just wanted to get to half time.

"They [the Robins] were playing through us and around us in the first half... We couldn't get near them. We thought we'd thicken up the midfield with another midfield player, and I thought it worked," he said, referring to bringing on former Robin David Cotterill late in the game.

The quote and the way it's worded is misleading though as it says he came changed it at HT, intimates it anyway, yet the Cotterill sub was made on the hour. Suspect he moved one of them into midfield, or deeper than the other to shore it up. Che Adams went off with injury and he stuck Cotterill on.

On a general note, it's only a minor criticism of LJ this from me, but this League is getting ever tougher, getting more tactical too- he needs to become more proactive- and this should come over time- in terms of in-game formation switches IMO. Sensing when the tide is turning or set to turn and acting accordingly before it is too late, before the momentum has shifted.

Archived