IGNORED

Just to be clear....

Bar BS3

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

I refer you to exhibits A) vs Barnsley, B) vs Plymouth & C) vs much of the Birmingham game. 

Wuite happy with the football being displayed and quite happy with a draw last night despite of a not so good display. 

You forget exhibit D) our return to the Championship and the body of work put together over this time which has seen us embroiled in 2 relegation battles. 

Progress?

I really don't have a problem with Johnson and I've accepted that Steve Lansdown is trying to do things his way and his intentions are true enough.

I love this club and drag my boys and their mates down every home game (and some away!) But even i can see its been crap for the past 2 seasons.

18 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

Yes I would've, I wasn't saying it was a bad point, just that we were useless.

This was what we were saying last night. Absolutely on paper that is a solid point. But if you were there you would have seen an awful performance the likes of which would have seen us lose 9/10 other times. It's not like 2 heavyweights slugged out a draw.

Question for fan base in general - is that what you want? A team that every now and again scrapes a point?

6 minutes ago, 054123 said:

This was what we were saying last night. Absolutely on paper that is a solid point. But if you were there you would have seen an awful performance the likes of which would have seen us lose 9/10 other times. It's not like 2 heavyweights slugged out a draw.

Is that what you want? A team that every now and again scrapes a point?

What are you talking about? Are you drunk?

1 hour ago, Tammys Scan said:

We were awful, couldn't string a pass together. The amount of balls that went to literally nobody was infuriating, no excuses.

Finally, a different viewpoint other than "well, we beat Barnsley and Plymouth easy"

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

In that case apologies for being flippant.

Will have a go at a proper answer later when I have more stable internet.

This is where I'm struggling now. Johnson, Cottrell, Lansdown, other people. It doesn't really matter, as a club we have not really progressed and whilst the forum loves to have arguments about the future, which is difficult to assess, if you look at the past 2 seasons it's been a shambles and I don't see how that is debatable.

2 hours ago, RumRed said:

Oh great another thread created to have a go at those with alternative views to the prescribed 'blind support', with no backup evidence provided in defence of the football being displayed on the pitch.

I was so missing these too.

But to start a thread as was done last night slagging people off trying to be balanced and not having a meltdown at every performance that's not 10/10 is ok. You're one of the worst for it . 

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Thing is 29AR, you are a pretty balanced poster.

I don't always agree which is fine- opinions etc, but you don't tend to be one of the overreacters, which is who I think @Bar BS3s post is aimed at.

Indeed - couldn't quote @29AR directly as his post does not appear if I do but it was a good analysis I completely agree with.

To be honest I get a bit frustrated with both extremes. I was there last night and it is absolutely fair to criticise the performance and especially the failure to react and make changes. And it was pretty clear from about 20 minutes onwards that they would equalise and some point and take the lead after that. What I did not expect was to equalise but the equaliser had been coming for a few minutes.

From January to April last year, I was calling for LJ's head so I would certainly hope nobody could accuse me of being in denial or a 'happy clapper' BUT I do feel that, whilst there may be posters on here who are unwilling to tolerate any criticism of the manager, there are a larger - whilst still small in the grand scheme of posters on here let alone City fans in general - minority of posters who seem to blame LJ for all that goes wrong but not give credit for what worked. If it was LJ's fault that we threw away a winning position and found ourselves in a losing one - and I certainly think that was his fault - he also deserves credit for the fact the changes he made worked and we rescued a point. 

Where that leaves us for the rest of the season, I don't know. Personally I do not think we are going to have a disastrous run like last year (and it must be said yesterday was the kind of game we would have lost last season) but we will not reach our potential unless the manager is a bit more tactically astute and reactive to situations in games. Time will tell if he can learn but I wish certain fans would let bygones be bygones and not treat every single setback as though we're ten points adrift in a relegation battle. Nobody is asking anyone to be blindly optimistic - just have a sense of perspective.

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed - couldn't quote @29AR directly as his post does not appear if I do but it was a good analysis I completely agree with.

To be honest I get a bit frustrated with both extremes. I was there last night and it is absolutely fair to criticise the performance and especially the failure to react and make changes. And it was pretty clear from about 20 minutes onwards that they would equalise and some point and take the lead after that. What I did not expect was to equalise but the equaliser had been coming for a few minutes.

From January to April last year, I was calling for LJ's head so I would certainly hope nobody could accuse me of being in denial or a 'happy clapper' BUT I do feel that, whilst there may be posters on here who are unwilling to tolerate any criticism of the manager, there are a larger - whilst still small in the grand scheme of posters on here let alone City fans in general - minority of posters who seem to blame LJ for all that goes wrong but not give credit for what worked. If it was LJ's fault that we threw away a winning position and found ourselves in a losing one - and I certainly think that was his fault - he also deserves credit for the fact the changes he made worked and we rescued a point. 

Where that leaves us for the rest of the season, I don't know. Personally I do not think we are going to have a disastrous run like last year (and it must be said yesterday was the kind of game we would have lost last season) but we will not reach our potential unless the manager is a bit more tactically astute and reactive to situations in games. Time will tell if he can learn but I wish certain fans would let bygones be bygones and not treat every single setback as though we're ten points adrift in a relegation battle. Nobody is asking anyone to be blindly optimistic - just have a sense of perspective.

Very good post.

Ive been bleating on about lj going since that run last season, what i would say is that there is certainly a much clearer sense of team unity and working hard than last year, which i think is what he has learned. The fact that we got to injury time one goal behind and had enough left to force the equaliser is certainly a positive which didnt happen last season.

The issue is the fact people on this forum just cannot have an opinion, and stick to it. It's constant back of forth, one minute all is well, the team looks more together, Johnson has gained vital experience, we look more experienced than last season etc. To the next saying Johnson is clueless, we are dog poo, we are going down, this squad is the worst I've ever seen, Johnson's a **** etc. 

I predicted these comments last month (which I took a lot of grief from), but I did not think they would arise so quickly. I'm just waiting for the attacks on Lansdown, and Mark Ashton then I have a full house. 

The difference with me, and a few other posters is I will stick to my opinion as I believe it is a true reflection of the current ongoings at this club. Am I surprised we were poor against Brentford? No, why would I be? This squad is weaker than last season, and the club YET AGAIN have failed to see the obvious, and make improvements where required. I'm not going into full depth into what I truly believe will happen this season.

But in simple points:

• Stick with Johnson = relegation
  • The club have failed to improve on already weakened Championship side two seasons running
  • Lansdown needs to wake up for dreamland, and stop living in hope that Johnson is a talented head coach in the making
  • It would not surprise me if we went on another losing streak this season
  • Fans need to get real, and look around at other teams and see the quality they possess
  • Our squad will not get us into the top half, it's failed to do so last two seasons, whats the difference now?
  • Our transfer policy has been poor the last two seasons

Go and prove me wrong Johnson, this club deserves a good season in this league.

2 hours ago, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

I'm a tad confused too.

At times it does seem like if we play well and don't win, then it's the result that matters, but if we play poorly and don't lose then it's the performance that matters.

What concerns me is that we haven't put in a 90 minutes performance since the season began. We've shown glimpses,  but have lacked the consistency, discipline and fitness to play well for more than 45 minutes.

The really big clubs will whup us, unless these deficiencies are sorted.

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

So what? Would you have taken a point before KO? I'm sure the majority of our supporter's would of. A point against one of the best footballing sides in the Championship away from home is a decent result regardless of how shit we were.

If it was at the end of the season and our survival depended on it, then yes but it's not…

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

You forget exhibit D) our return to the Championship and the body of work put together over this time which has seen us embroiled in 2 relegation battles. 

Progress?

I really don't have a problem with Johnson and I've accepted that Steve Lansdown is trying to do things his way and his intentions are true enough.

I love this club and drag my boys and their mates down every home game (and some away!) But even i can see its been crap for the past 2 seasons.

For periods it has been crap. I think for periods it's been decent. 

I think things are progressing, albeit of course there is still a lot more to do. 

I don't think we will pull up trees this season, but I don't think we'll be in danger either. 

OTIBs general consensus before season.

'Mid table this year, yep, on balance that would represent progress'.

OTIBs comments after three games, in which we have played pretty well for three halves and pretty poorly for three halves:

'Results and performances, 1 win, 1 draw, 1 loss, not good enough!'.

Think first ten games will give us a good indication of where we really are.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

But to start a thread as was done last night slagging people off trying to be balanced and not having a meltdown at every performance that's not 10/10 is ok. You're one of the worst for it . 

Point me in the direction of a thread I've started on here which suggests I believe my opinion matters so much that I have to rehash something that is being done to death on many others.

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

in a fixture that we seldom get much from,

Just wanted to pick up on this point. If there's one thing in football that annoys me more than anything it's an inference that past results in a fixture have any bearing or relevance to future games.

i heard Brentford and Birmingham referred to as somewhere we never do well, or as above, as if it's some kind of reason for us to accept a loss there or predict before the game that we won't do well.

whilst it might be statistically true that we haven't won at a certain place for some time, if the majority of the squad, management and even owners have changed in that time it's completely irrelevant to how we got on Saturday, last night or next time we play one of these teams.

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

Just wanted to pick up on this point. If there's one thing in football that annoys me more than anything it's an inference that past results in a fixture have any bearing or relevance to future games.

i heard Brentford and Birmingham referred to as somewhere we never do well, or as above, as if it's some kind of reason for us to accept a loss there or predict before the game that we won't do well.

whilst it might be statistically true that we haven't won at a certain place for some time, if the majority of the squad, management and even owners have changed in that time it's completely irrelevant to how we got on Saturday, last night or next time we play one of these teams.

Of course. It does seem to have a baring though. From one season to the next, players won't have changed that much. For longer voodoo's maybe it's down clubs playing styles. Maybe just confidence, or lack of. 

I agree though, it shouldn't matter. 

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

If it was at the end of the season and our survival depended on it, then yes but it's not…

What difference does it make what stage of the season it is? End of the day we've got a point which everyone would of taken, you aren't going to be entertained every game unfortunately.

Pleased the happy clappers can provide such reasoned and well thought out responses. Well done, give yourselves a nice happy clap on the back and you can sleep well in bed tonight knowing that you are far superior minded to those with negative views. FML!!! 

11 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

What difference does it make what stage of the season it is? End of the day we've got a point which everyone would of taken, you aren't going to be entertained every game unfortunately.

I would imagine that BCFC are aiming for promotion, and have brought in players, sold others so that we can progress up the league. It's not about 'being entertained' week on week but demonstrating that we are able to progress and become 'a better team'. Unfortunately, it didn't look like that last night. Surely you would prefer City to be competing on a parr with the other teams in the Championship and not continually relying on games similar to an 'end of season dogfight' all the way through the season?

4 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Go to the games, City fans are great, on here there are a nucleus of miserable"..........., the rest are OK

Is that because we can cope with two things at once?  Support the team at the game and then critically analyse the performance subsequently?

Really not difficult to do both.

Archived