IGNORED

the end of the football programme as we know it?

Never to the dark side

I agree the programme is outdated. Most information is freely available online so by the time it's game day you've already seen it all.

I know some people buy it more for having something from the day so why not create a much cheaper version, smaller and with lower quality paper much like an old TV guide magazine and give them away for free or charge a negligible amount? If it's made as almost a throwaway with a few articles but mainly a memento it wouldn't matter. I don't imagine the income from programmes is out of this world and there'd likely be more profit from increasing advertising space and cutting printing costs.

It's what they do at a lot of US sports teams now. Yeah there are so many ads it's hard to find the few genuine articles in there but how many times are you going to read it? Still got that memento and the income is probably a lot higher.

5 minutes ago, Robin TBW said:

I agree the programme is outdated. Most information is freely available online so by the time it's game day you've already seen it all.

I know some people buy it more for having something from the day so why not create a much cheaper version, smaller and with lower quality paper much like an old TV guide magazine and give them away for free or charge a negligible amount? If it's made as almost a throwaway with a few articles but mainly a memento it wouldn't matter. I don't imagine the income from programmes is out of this world and there'd likely be more profit from increasing advertising space and cutting printing costs.

It's what they do at a lot of US sports teams now. Yeah there are so many ads it's hard to find the few genuine articles in there but how many times are you going to read it? Still got that memento and the income is probably a lot higher.

The fanzines should concentrate on deep interviews with current and ex players. They can not compete with free nonsence papers saying nothing

1 minute ago, bristolcitysweden said:

The fanzines should concentrate on deep interviews with current and ex players. They can not compete with free nonsence papers saying nothing

You should edit it - you know - boost the circulation a bit.

:yes:

:facepalm:

tfj

2 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

You are Luddites in Sweden, Tommy. Get with it, this is the 21st Century. Digital programmes can include up to the minute news.

But some of us can live WITHOUT knowing what brand of underpants David Beckham has been pictured in every ******* day.

Can you understand this??

:grr:

tfj

10 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

It's you living in the backyards. People don't read papers anymore because they are total shit. Quality papers will always survive. 

But we don't use them to wrap up fish and chips anymore. Quality papers will survive but only in digital form. 

8 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

WE DON'T WANT TO SEE HIS ********* UNDERPANTS FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!!!

:grr:

:gaah:

:redcard:

:ranting:

:igiveup:

tfj

But then we would have to ask him what underpants he wears so we can follow suit. It would be very time consuming and annoying for DB so far more convenient, and less embarrassing, for him to just show us.

That can **** right off. Its a memento of your game. No matter how many I go to, I always get a fanzine/programme because in 50 years i know that I'll have built up a library of memories. My granddad's proudest possession is his collection of programmes. For the same reason that there are still books in the age of Kindle, we will still have programmes no matter what.

9 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Milkman gone but people still wan't their quality paper on thewir doorstep. Things might change but not as long I'm alive.

If the newspaper does survive in its archaic physical form then the few who do have it delivered will be paying perhaps fifty times what it costs at the moment. Those of us who read things digitally, have been subsidising the Luddites for far too long. There will be a revolution where the vast majority say enough is enough.

I don't even have to get out of bed and go to my doorstep to read the newspaper. Delivered in the ether every morning to my kindle when I subscribe.

50 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

BBC points west at 6:30pm friday has an news item:

AFTER all the

GRANNYS CAT STUCK UP A TREE STORIES

about three local non league clubs who will do away with their printed match day programmes

instead

they will be in a digital format that you can down load onto your i-pad thingy

FFS

16 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Refreshing to get the morning paper before ******* the computor all day long

What computer have you got there? I've checked the back of mine, and there is nothing I could get my **** into even if I wanted to?

(First person to say he uses a laptop is not a funny person).

tfj

I want to keep programmes, but what do we actually want from a programme?

A list of just who's playing today, not the entire squad of both teams. In this day & age of multi media sports coverage, we don't really need five sentence pen pictures" of the visitors.

Info about players returning from injury, traditionally how the Youth and Reserve teams are doing and details about travelling to the next two away games.

I certainly don't see the need for statistics about which phases of the game each team attacks most in etc.

In the days of terracing, if floodlights failed, it had been known for fans to make bonfires out of newspapers and programmes to provide light whilst they exited the ground.

I think whoever is behind this hasn't done their market research properly.

E-books and such like are on the downturn, and continue to decline. Where as the appetite for printed books is on the increase...with the drive being led by the younger generation.

The same can be said of music. Everything went digital...now the biggest growth in music sales is in Vinyl.

People still crave something physical to hold, read and own.

There is still a market for printed form.

Funnily...the older generation are just catching up with digital form, and now get it and embrace it, whilst the younger generation are totally over it and looking for something else.

Funny ol world.

For all you old ens that never got to grips with digitization, and still crave print...who'd have thought that you are 'down wiv da kidz' again :laugh:

Archived