IGNORED

New! Death on the roads thread 2017

It's back!

All things death / roads related, especially dangerous driving / bad road manners / motoring trends not in the spirit of road safety and harmony within society.

Perhaps I could start with a couple of things that have consumed my goat recently?

"Bulldozer" lorries, and pulling out at junctions causing hard braking.

Bulldozer Lorries

These are large lorries on fairly narrow lanes - not single track, but narrow lanes that are sufficiently wide to have a white line down the middle. 

Now the lorry is big - so big, it has to drive over the white line to get along the road. This means some of the lorry is on the wrong side of the road - where you sometimes find cars / traffic driving the other way.

Now - when I drive on the wrong side of the road, I always try and get back on the correct side when another 'road user' is coming the other way. Failing this, I'd tend to stand on the brakes to avoid a head-on collision.

Couple of reasons for doing this: 1) it saves destroying the car(s); 2) it ****** hurts / can cause death.

When you are driving a ******* big lorry, and you are on the wrong side of the road, then you have some responsibility to avoid the other traffic, for the same reasons. Also, no-one asks to be run down by a huge lump of metal driving at 40-50 mph.

I find there are lots of lorry drivers now just plough through, expecting every other b******d to somehow get out of his way.

Put simply - I am not sure this is safe or indeed all that fair.

Pulling out at Junctions

In the old days, many drivers used to 'give way' at Junctions.

Not any more.

Today, they initially stop at the junction, look both ways, see that another car is very close, and then just pull out anyway.

I'm talking right into your path, causing hard braking, swearing, etc.

Why ***** stop at all - why not drive like you are in a ****** bumper car, and expect other folk to be so scared they just get out of your way?

Perhaps these morons are just HGV drivers on the way home after a shift - looking for a few extra victims.

Both sets of offenders are complete *******s in my book.

:disapointed2se:

tfj

13 hours ago, BigTone said:

Cyclists ............ shoot them.

You are mistaking this for the recreational shooting thread.

Anything in particular cyclists do to annoy you?

E.g. Cycling two abreast, holding up the traffic?

Cycling 4 metres out from the kerb?

Perhaps the excessive - almost perverse - over use of lycra?

tfj

1 hour ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

tfj

Packs of middle aged, middle class, lycra swathed, johnny-come-latelies, hogging country lanes in their absurd make believe 'pelotons'. 

And I am a keen cyclist, who did it before it became a statement of GQ/ hipster righton-ness.

Arsewipes.

2 hours ago, Juan Kerr said:

Packs of middle aged, middle class, lycra swathed, johnny-come-latelies, hogging country lanes in their absurd make believe 'pelotons'. 

And I am a keen cyclist, who did it before it became a statement of GQ/ hipster righton-ness.

Arsewipes.

Those gits, who hold you up for several minutes, you wait patiently behind - at a safe distance, wait until it is safe to pass, pass smoothly without revving your engine; pass at least 2 metres away from them - then pull in slowly.

THEN, when you look in your rear view mirror, they are still shaking their head at you in indignation!!!!!!!

BASTARDS.

:disapointed2se:

tfj

3 hours ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

tfj

All of the above added to just being in existence

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

All of the above added to just being in existence

Yes - these bastards have actually turned cycling (a good thing) into a focus of hatred.

This another good reason for you to be nice, as Hell is certainly FULL of ******* cyclists.

:devil:

tfj

31 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

Yes - these bastards have actually turned cycling (a good thing) into a focus of hatred.

This another good reason for you to be nice, as Hell is certainly FULL of ******* cyclists.

tfj

No problem, I'm always nice

What doesn't annoy me on the road is the question. Some may disagree but Tractor drivers mentality down small roads which could easily cause death and I have been in an accident because of one, who just drove off and probably didnt even have a driving licence. Hate them.

Also Tractors who drive down 60 mph A Roads at rush hour time at 20 mph. Just pull over and let people passed ffs, instead of causing a gurt queue of very impatient people who naturally lead to them taking huge risks in taking over them because of their frustration.

On 19/08/2017 at 13:31, Taxi for Johnson said:

tfj

I love cycling, the amount of inpatient**** drivers is incredible. Is it really worth risking someone's life to get past 5 secs quicker? 

Most drivers are ok, of course I'm only talking about the ******* here!

12 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

What doesn't annoy me on the road is the question. Some may disagree but Tractor drivers mentality down small roads which could easily cause death and I have been in an accident because of one, who just drove off and probably didnt even have a driving licence. Hate them.

Also Tractors who drive down 60 mph A Roads at rush hour time at 20 mph. Just pull over and let people passed ffs, instead of causing a gurt queue of very impatient people who naturally lead to them taking huge risks in taking over them because of their frustration.

No one has ever introduced tractors onto this sort of thread before - you might be onto something.

I've worked it out, and I have spent 6 months of my life reversing because of tractors - that is six months I could have dedicated to getting Lee Johnson replaced. That a waste!!

:yes:

tfj

13 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

HGV drivers, who pull out into the overtaking lane of a two lane motorway (M42), and proceed to take 13 miles to inch past another lorry.

A long time ago, when I was a mere slip of a lad, my driving instructor taught me mirror, signal, manoeuvre and to only change lanes when it was safe to do so.

Today, HGV's included, the rule appears to be manoeuvre, signal, **** the mirror.

At least five times a day, I am forced to brake or take evasive action by the discourteous actions of others.

A fox sat right in the middle of the road at 10pm that could not be arsed to budge.  We actually ended up driving round him, at which point he decided to toddle off in his own leisurely fashion. Unbelievable.   

Likewise, pigeons that enjoy a game of 'chicken', leaving it to the last possible second to avoid the fast oncoming vehicle.  Where are the parents?

As a pedestrian, those arrogant, noise-polluting, air-polluting drivers who can't be arsed to indicate on busy junctions denying me the only opportunity to cross I've had in over five whole minutes, should be fined and have three points added.  No ifs or buts.  I'm a pedestrian not a figment of your imagination, I exist too. There are times I need to know what the **** it is you are intending to do.

People (usually female) who value responding to an unnecessary text or looking up some trivial information on their mobile phone, while simultaneously transporting me to destination X in a tonne heavy vehicle at 20-70 mph over my safety and possible life causes me to compromise my generally relaxed demeanour and approach to life.  Said people (woman) patronisingly justifying such moronic behaviour by informing me she can multi-task and to "chill out" only negatively effects my already ruffled manner and unusually short-patiented  temperament further.

58 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

A fox sat right in the middle of the road at 10pm that could not be arsed to budge.  We actually ended up driving round him, at which point he decided to toddle off in his own leisurely fashion. Unbelievable.   

Likewise, pigeons that enjoy a game of 'chicken', leaving it to the last possible second to avoid the fast oncoming vehicle.  Where are the parents?

As a pedestrian, those arrogant, noise-polluting, air-polluting drivers who can't be arsed to indicate on busy junctions denying me the only opportunity to cross I've had in over five whole minutes, should be fined and have three points added.  No ifs or buts.  I'm a pedestrian not a figment of your imagination, I exist too. There are times I need to know what the **** it is you are intending to do.

People (usually female) who value responding to an unnecessary text or looking up some trivial information on their mobile phone, while simultaneously transporting me to destination X in a tonne heavy vehicle at 20-70 mph over my safety and possible life causes me to compromise my generally relaxed demeanour and approach to life.  Said people (woman) patronisingly justifying such moronic behaviour by informing me she can multi-task and to "chill out" only negatively effects my already ruffled manner and unusually short-patiented  temperament further.

Wood pigeons are tossers. There would be carnage in the lanes, if I wasn't such a bleeding heart.

Cyclists who labour up steep hills at a snail`s pace wobbling all over the road when there is no visibility resulting in a queue a mile long of people riding their clutches.

Get off and walk, it would be ******* quicker anyway.

Delivery drivers for supermarkets - the new white van man. I`m sorry, but if you`re two minutes late delivering Mrs Whoever`s washing up liquid and tomatoes I don`t give a ****.

Looks from the pictures that the tractor was pulling out of a field with a large trailer. The BMW went under the chassis of the trailer and must have been close to slicing the top off the car. It's not immediately obvious who was at fault (the Beemer is a little off the road and partly on the grass - in avoidance, perhaps). Scary. Used to happen a lot back in the day with low-slung cars like Spitfires and Midgets going under lorries without side rails.       :(

Archived