IGNORED

What does Lansdown see that most of us can't ?

Andy082005

And with reference to our present coaching staff of LJ, DH and JMcA.

Do any of those who are clearly much more ITK than 99% of us, know if there is or isn't input on tactics and coaching from GJ. Are our matches and future game plans being decided over Sunday's family lunch? 

If my suspicion has any credence whatsoever, the only difference between the two regimes is that the Chief Scout is not the brother of the Head Coach. Unless anyone knows different! 

We should not be going from one crisis (*) to another with the financial input on player recruitment that we've had in the last three years. Agreed that it's still chicken feed compared with the cash loaded ex Premier clubs. I understand that the full benefits of the new stadium income isn't significant yet - how much of this income will the two clubs City and Bris, actually get?

(*) the way we have performed against Brentford and Millwall, tells me that we are heading for the bottom three at a rate of knots. I've seen it too many times before to not smell it now.

18 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Do any of those who are clearly much more ITK than 99% of us, know if there is or isn't input on tactics and coaching from GJ. Are our matches and future game plans being decided over Sunday's family lunch? 

If my suspicion has any credence whatsoever, the only difference between the two regimes is that the Chief Scout is not the brother of the Head Coach. Unless anyone knows different! 

We should not be going from one crisis (*) to another with the financial input on player recruitment that we've had in the last three years. Agreed that it's still chicken feed compared with the cash loaded ex Premier clubs. I understand that the full benefits of the new stadium income isn't significant yet - how much of this income will the two clubs City and Bris, actually get?

(*) the way we have performed against Brentford and Millwall, tells me that we are heading for the bottom three at a rate of knots. I've seen it too many times before to not smell it now.

and boy does it stink!

18 hours ago, 'keepuplino' said:

God this post is so depressing... 

It's realistic.

If you really think we're ready for a promotion challenge after surviving by the skin of our teeth the last two years you need your head looked at. 

Sheff Wed, Boro, Villa, Derby, Wolves, Norwich, Leeds, Sunderland, Fulham, Hull, Reading are 11 bigger teams with superior squads. What gives us a right, or not necisssarily a right, but why do you expect us to be finishing above these clubs? 

18 hours ago, RumRed said:

The acceptance of mediocrity is truly astounding.

I'm not accepting mediocrity, but being realistic on where we stand right now. 

There's atleast 11 bigger clubs in this league than us with superior squads and resources.

If in 2 or 3 years we're still in the same boat then I understand frustrations.

But let's try and establish ourselves as a Championship team first shall we? Before we start talking about promotion. 

48 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

I'm not accepting mediocrity, but being realistic on where we stand right now. 

There's atleast 11 bigger clubs in this league than us with superior squads and resources.

If in 2 or 3 years we're still in the same boat then I understand frustrations.

But let's try and establish ourselves as a Championship team first shall we? Before we start talking about promotion. 

Seen enough of these 'give it a few years', 'consolidate' etc seasons over the last 40 odd years and I see nothing to suggest establishing ourselves as a mid table 2nd tier team is liable to happen this time either.  Realistically there is only one way out of this division and it sure as hell ain't promotion.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I think it was quite clear that Mr Burns thought so in his infamous bit of dialogue which was leaked on here! FWIW I have heard from one other also that GJ is still relied upon for thoughts on players, current and prospective purchases. That would be of no surprise to me. Of course GJ and SL are still in close contact, it's probably part of the romanticism for SL in having LJ at the club. Apparently behind closed doors friendlies v Cheltenham have seen a significant increase in the past 18 months too  :whistle:

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think it was quite clear that Mr Burns thought so in his infamous bit of dialogue which was leaked on here! FWIW I have heard from one other also that GJ is still relied upon for thoughts on players, current and prospective purchases. That would be of no surprise to me. Of course GJ and SL are still in close contact, it's probably part of the romanticism for SL in having LJ at the club. Apparently behind closed doors friendlies v Cheltenham have seen a significant increase in the past 18 months too  :whistle:

Guess it depends as to the extent he's 'relied on'. Many on here wanted us to get an older head in to help LJ last season, it makes sense. GJ is exactly that, but just so happens to also be his dad!

If it's just a case of talking over things at the club, sharing ideas and getting his opinion - I'd say that's sensible. GJ has had success here and elsewhere and is now a very experienced manager.

If his involvement is more than that though it's a bit concerning.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Guess it depends as to the extent he's 'relied on'. Many on here wanted us to get an older head in to help LJ last season, it makes sense. GJ is exactly that, but just so happens to also be his dad!

If it's just a case of talking over things at the club, sharing ideas and getting his opinion - I'd say that's sensible. GJ has had success here and elsewhere and is now a very experienced manager.

If his involvement is more than that though it's a bit concerning.

I mean, in all honestly, it would be weird if he didn't talk to his Dad about it and ask advice. Most people (particularly if they're close to their parents) do that when their dad's  careers bare no resemblance to there own. LJ's dad is in the same business managed the exact club and was actually pretty successful at it. It would be strange if this didn't happen.

4 minutes ago, RichardEdd said:

I mean, in all honestly, it would be weird if he didn't talk to his Dad about it and ask advice. Most people (particularly if they're close to their parents) do that when their dad's  careers bare no resemblance to there own. LJ's dad is in the same business managed the exact club and was actually pretty successful at it. It would be strange if this didn't happen.

Exactly. Completely normal if that's the case and probably a good thing considering GJ's experience.

I remember Wes Burns Sr's post going far beyond that with slightly sinister overtones. If that account was totally true it would be a bit worrying. Difficult to know how seriously you take his understandable biases.

36 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Seen enough of these 'give it a few years', 'consolidate' etc seasons over the last 40 odd years and I see nothing to suggest establishing ourselves as a mid table 2nd tier team is liable to happen this time either.  Realistically there is only one way out of this division and it sure as hell ain't promotion.

I'm sure you have.

But I don't see your point? 

Whether we've said/ needed consolidation in previous years and haven't managed that, it doesn't take away the fact we need that right now! I'm not saying we will and I'm not saying we won't. 

But there are a large portion of fans expecting promotion or a play off challenge. But we're not even close to being an established Championship team. That's my frustrations.

People are massively over reacting to an average start to the campaign because of their dislike towards Johnson. 

We've shown all the signs of being mid table so far. 1 loss in 4, couple decent performances, couple bad ones. We're by far not the greatest team in this league (do fans expect us to be)? And we're by far not the worst team. 

Instead of recognising this, people are jumping on the previous couple of performances and calling for Johnsons head. We're 11th and 4 games in, may I remind everyone ...

4 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

I'm sure you have.

Whether we've said/ needed consolidation in previous years and haven't managed that, it doesn't take away the fact we need that right now! I'm not saying we will and I'm not saying we won't. 

But there are a large portion of fans expecting promotion or a play off challenge. But we're not even close to being an established Championship team. That's my frustrations.

People are massively over reacting to an average start to the campaign because of their dislike towards Johnson. 

We've shown all the signs of being mid table so far. 1 loss in 4, couple decent performances, couple bad ones. We're by far not the greatest team in this league (do fans expect us to be)? And we're by far not the worst team. 

Instead of recognising this, people are jumping on the previous couple of performances and calling for Johnsons head. We're 11th and 4 games in, may I remind everyone ...

This thread has very little has to do with the first four results of this season...or a dislike of Lee Johnson...less still about expectations of promotion...or a play-off challenge....or indeed anyone jumping on a bandwagon. A number of posters have sought to explore what it is that Lansdown sees in LJ, it's been an interesting read.

27 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

I'm sure you have.

We have dropped off a bit since the 1st game then ?

2 hours ago, ForeverRes said:

I'm sure you have.

But there are a large portion of fans expecting promotion or a play off challenge. Without these fan's views the club would stand still, if no one questions the club then who does?

But we're not even close to being an established Championship team.  Established championship club? what does this actually mean? is it when we've been here for 4 years or longer? will we retain this status if we go back to league 1? Ipswich are a hugely established Championship club, haven't they done well.

That's my frustrations.

People are massively over reacting to an average start to the campaign because of their dislike towards Johnson. People are reacting to the last season and the way the club is being ran... How can this be an over reaction? we look ******* miles away and we've spent a bloody fortune... Poor effort IMOH and rightly so its being challenged!!

We've shown all the signs of being mid table so far. Bollocks we were in the top 6 after 10 games last season, does that mean we looked like a top 6 side, it will all unravel over the season like last. loss in 4, couple decent performances, couple bad ones. We're by far not the greatest team in this league (do fans expect us to be)? And we're by far not the worst team. 

2 hours ago, Red Exile said:

This thread has very little has to do with the first four results of this season...or a dislike of Lee Johnson...less still about expectations of promotion...or a play-off challenge....or indeed anyone jumping on a bandwagon. A number of posters have sought to explore what it is that Lansdown sees in LJ, it's been an interesting read.

I was replying to someone excusing me of accepting mediocrity.

Thanks though 

2 minutes ago, ForeverRes said:

Are you deliberately missing my point? 

I'm sure you have.

But there are a large portion of fans expecting promotion or a play off challenge. Without these fan's views the club would stand still, if no one questions the club then who does?

But we're not even close to being an established Championship team.  Established championship club? what does this actually mean? is it when we've been here for 4 years or longer? will we retain this status if we go back to league 1? Ipswich are a hugely established Championship club, haven't they done well.

That's my frustrations.

People are massively over reacting to an average start to the campaign because of their dislike towards Johnson. People are reacting to the last season and the way the club is being ran... How can this be an over reaction? we look ******* miles away and we've spent a bloody fortune... Poor effort IMOH and rightly so its being challenged!!

We've shown all the signs of being mid table so far. Bollocks we were in the top 6 after 10 games last season, does that mean we looked like a top 6 side, it will all unravel over the season like last. loss in 4, couple decent performances, couple bad ones. We're by far not the greatest team in this league (do fans expect us to be)? And we're by far not the worst team. 

On 8/22/2017 at 19:40, Frenchay Red said:

The legacy of SL is his son. I am surprised that in this thread, which is putting SL under the microspcope, no-one seems to be considering just how much JL's involvement has had an effect on things happening under this manager/head coach and, for that matter, the previous one.

It is going to be hard for anyone to accept that young JL has much influence when his father is the owner. Most people will consider him as the messenger and mouthpiece of his Dad while also acknowledging that John is, at the very least, competent at what he does.

On 8/22/2017 at 23:48, ForeverRes said:

It's realistic.

If you really think we're ready for a promotion challenge after surviving by the skin of our teeth the last two years you need your head looked at. 

Sheff Wed, Boro, Villa, Derby, Wolves, Norwich, Leeds, Sunderland, Fulham, Hull, Reading are 11 bigger teams with superior squads. What gives us a right, or not necisssarily a right, but why do you expect us to be finishing above these clubs? 

Huddersfield did not fare too badly and a few other teams who finished in or around us the last two seasons have improved considerably since then. Time will tell if we do this season. After 5 games Its a mixed bag of nuts.

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

It is going to be hard for anyone to accept that young JL has much influence when his father is the owner. Most people will consider him as the messenger and mouthpiece of his Dad while also acknowledging that John is, at the very least, competent at what he does.

Huddersfield did not fare too badly and a few other teams who finished in or around us the last two seasons have improved considerably since then. Time will tell if we do this season. After 5 games Its a mixed bag of nuts.

That's no way to talk about you fellow posters Havana.

Archived