IGNORED

Rooney retires from International Football

BobBobSuperBob

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As title, 

After speculation whether he might get a recall - sounds like he established this wasn't on horizon and has retired from ain't foitball

Scored a lot of goals for us and always made himself available

Always still think what might have been

Thanks and wel played Wayne

Southgate actually called him up for the next squad and he declined. 

Probably for the best. Massively under appreciated for me. 

What a bloke. 

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As title, 

After speculation whether he might get a recall - sounds like he established this wasn't on horizon and has retired from ain't foitball

Scored a lot of goals for us and always made himself available

Always still think what might have been

Thanks and wel played Wayne

Broadly agree with this - remember seeing him light up Euro 2004, probably the last competition that England had a realistic chance of winning.

Great achievement to become leading all-time goalscorer even though some of the opposition has been poor.

I too, though, can't help feeling that he underdelivered mostly on the big stage. WC 2006 he wasn't match fit and probably shouldn't have gone, but 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016 he was pretty anonymous.

Scorer of some incredible goals.

Shame, looked like this move to Everton has given him a bit of rejuvenation.

Wasn't it Beckham who never officially retired? I admired that stance, always wanted to be on call for his country if needed.

Will probably prolong Rooney's career for a bit though and will give the likes of Rashford (any maybe Abraham in a couple of years) more chance of making appearances.

I think the only disappointment,  in an outstanding international career, is that after 2004 he never really did it in the World Cup or Euro tournaments.  2006 WC was recovering from injury plus got sent off v Portugal.  2008 we did not qualify (Wally with the Brolly).  2010 in SA he was staggeringly out of touch and never really recovered from that, tournament wise. 

But, like England throughout that time, he was brilliant (2008 excluded) in the qualifying stages. 

19 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Broadly agree with this - remember seeing him light up Euro 2004, probably the last competition that England had a realistic chance of winning.

Great achievement to become leading all-time goalscorer even though some of the opposition has been poor.

I too, though, can't help feeling that he underdelivered mostly on the big stage. WC 2006 he wasn't match fit and probably shouldn't have gone, but 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016 he was pretty anonymous.

Scorer of some incredible goals.

Yes like a few England players he made a great first impression - nearly unplayable in 2004. Like a lot he never really dominated games like he did domestically, probably as he was surrounded by inferior less technical team mates. Mind you it's relative given the number of goals he did score....

Massively underappreciated as a player IMO, he was often the only player in an England shirt with any real quality and seemed to carry a disproportionate amount of the blame for the team's shortcomings in tournaments.  If you can't string two passes together and get the ball to your forwards there is not much they can do about it.  He also seems to love the game which is becoming less and less common.  I'm sure he'll have a bit of a renaissance at Everton.

8 minutes ago, Super said:

He produced when it mattered, Same with Lineker. Sadly Rooney didn't.

Rooney scored 7 tournament goals- Charlton Scored 5.

Rooney scored 30 qualifier goals- Charlton scored 9.

If who the goals were scored against matters then we may as well disregard linekers golden boot in 86 as 3 were against a poor Poland team and 2 against a poor Paraguay team.....

I actually do agree with you, Lineker and Charlton did deliver when it mattered.  Rooney unfortunately never fulfilled the great potential he showed in 2004, but it does annoy me that people overlook what he has achieved.

The point I'm trying to make in my previous post is that the great players all fill their boots against the lesser teams.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Just a shit Bobby Reid....

Now that I'll give you :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

If who the goals were scored against matters then we may as well disregard linekers golden boot in 86 as 3 were against a poor Poland team and 2 against a poor Paraguay team.....

I actually do agree with you, Lineker and Charlton did deliver when it mattered.  Rooney unfortunately never fulfilled the great potential he showed in 2004, but it does annoy me that people overlook what he has achieved.

The point I'm trying to make in my previous post is that the great players all fill their boots against the lesser teams.

His record does speak for itself, just saying he (and lots of other England players) failed on the big stage. Great career though especially at United.

How can he afford to retire?  a footballers career is so short maximise your income to tide you over in later life.. blimey I'm worried for him now, I hope he'll be able to manage... still he has still got his day job for now I guess, make the most of that Wayne and try to save a bob or two for rainy days in future...  it's shit on benefits and oap pensions, don't even mention bedroom taxes or foodbank queues .... early retirement doesn't bode well for the future. Are you sure you want to go through with this Wayne? Think about it.

19 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

How can he afford to retire?  a footballers career is so short maximise your income to tide you over in later life.. blimey I'm worried for him now, I hope he'll be able to manage... still he has still got his day job for now I guess, make the most of that Wayne and try to save a bob or two for rainy days in future...  it's shit on benefits and oap pensions, don't even mention bedroom taxes or foodbank queues .... early retirement doesn't bode well for the future. Are you sure you want to go through with this Wayne? Think about it.

England players earn nothing from international matches 

Fully expect him to be involved at the World Cup. Right now Rooney is getting back to the Wayne Rooney of old, playing in pretty much pointless qualifiers is just a distraction he doesn't need right now. He just needs to concentrate on himself and Everton without any distractions.

If he bangs in 15 - 20 goals this season the whole country will be calling for him to come out of retirement and Wayne will find that call impossible to resist.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was how the conversation between him and Southgate went, both of them save face this way.

43 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Somewhat skewed by the fact that from late 1961 to the end of Charlton's career, England were not involved in any world cup qualifiers, and the Euros were, if I recall correctly, a much slimmed down competition.

That said, you can only score against those you are up against, and you can't knock Rooney for his overall tally even if I think he still failed to deliver most of what he was clearly capable of. 

And off at a tangent, a friend of mine here is very good friends with Peter Shilton: the friend was telling me that the overall caps record is one thing Shilton is very protective of, and no doubt he will be one happy camper with this news.

Some of his best moments:

- Jinking this way and that to win a penalty against France in Lisbon

- First goal for Everton against Arsenal

- Volley against Newcastle for Man u

- Overhead kick v Man C

- Long-range goal at Upton Park

- My personal fave, his brace against the Jocks at Smellic Park.

13 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Fully expect him to be involved at the World Cup. Right now Rooney is getting back to the Wayne Rooney of old, playing in pretty much pointless qualifiers is just a distraction he doesn't need right now. He just needs to concentrate on himself and Everton without any distractions.

If he bangs in 15 - 20 goals this season the whole country will be calling for him to come out of retirement and Wayne will find that call impossible to resist.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was how the conversation between him and Southgate went, both of them save face this way.

Eh? I'd be very surprised the conversation went like that!

Archived