IGNORED

Singing Section for Villa

ZiderEyed

I often wonder about the "singing section" as a whole to be honest (getting a grouchy old git these days).

At times it doesn't sound too bad, at times it sounds pretty good and at times it sounds little more than pathetic....I sometimes wonder if they are trying to lift the team or keep themselves happy in their own bubble. It'd always help to have more people loaning their voice to support, but it is what it is.

Surely the most mind numbing song I have ever heard at a ground must be "your'e ******* shit" ad en finitum.....if watching Football on the telly, it's usually a cue to change channel

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Must be the mic placement I think. That probably sounds like an excuse but I was in the middle of the ground yesterday so could judge accurately.

Were Villa fans noisy on the occasions where they did sing? Sure. But it was sporadic with a surprisingly MK Dons-like repertoire of songs. 

Consistently over the 90 we were the far louder support with a superior repetoire of songs. Shame that didn't come across on TV.

watching now on Channel 403....judge for yourself. Microphones could have been cleverly placed

4 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

I often wonder about the "singing section" as a whole to be honest (getting a grouchy old git these days).

At times it doesn't sound too bad, at times it sounds pretty good and at times it sounds little more than pathetic....I sometimes wonder if they are trying to lift the team or keep themselves happy in their own bubble. It'd always help to have more people loaning their voice to support, but it is what it is.

Surely the most mind numbing song I have ever heard at a ground must be "your'e ******* shit" ad en finitum.....if watching Football on the telly, it's usually a cue to change channel

What do you think should be done instead?

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What do you think should be done instead?

I'm open to ideas to be honest...like I said, it is what it is.

I've sat through some mind numbing crap at other grounds on my travels, and the fans can be pretty soulless, so in comparison we don't do too badly.

Better acoustics always help.... the old East End Roof was a cracker, but it retained the ability to keep noise muffled by the time it reached the other end of the ground.

Tottenham always seem a good ol' noisy crew. It'd be interesting to know exactly what the plans are with acoustics at the new build

1 hour ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

watching now on Channel 403....judge for yourself. Microphones could have been cleverly placed

As soon as they hear a swear word they essentially mute the mics in that area. The other night Birmingham fans started belting out "Terry's shit" at Burton, then mid song you could suddenly only faintly hear them. For the rest of the game one lady in the Burton end often sounded louder than the whole Birmingham end...

7 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I could hear the Villa fans loud and clear on sky, a few muffled and disjointed versions of c' mon you reds but all in all apart from the villa fans I thought it was quiet. There was always this excuse that the Atyeo had crap acoustics, well I think the villa fans put that one to bed, with that in mind I'd give the away fans a block in the SL Stand Upper Tier.

Are you having a laugh?  So you weren't even there and are bemoaning The acoustics?  Is it April Fools day or something?

9 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I could hear the Villa fans loud and clear on sky, a few muffled and disjointed versions of c' mon you reds but all in all apart from the villa fans I thought it was quiet. There was always this excuse that the Atyeo had crap acoustics, well I think the villa fans put that one to bed, with that in mind I'd give the away fans a block in the SL Stand Upper Tier.

To be absolutely honest the atmosphere was excellent , City fans very loud best I've heard in a long while , all villa did was copy every song our lot sang , I'm no happy clapper but credit where's it due, Johnson said great atmosphere and Bruce said how well his young players had stood up to 'that sort if atmosphere' .  

To be honest you were not there, comment on the match you probably saw some things better than us , but you can't pick up atmosphere from the box in the corner so what you thinks irrelevant .

I was in the next block to the singing section and the atmosphere was great. The noise is definitely spreading around the ground from the singing section. Lots more people joining in now. I for one don't give two hoots how it sounded on the TV.  Loved seeing the corner go absolutely nuts when we scored.

It's great to see the Dolman and South Stand (maybe even a few in the Lansdown!) joining in or clapping along now when they weren't before.

Easy chants like "Red Army" and "Olay Olay Olay Olay - Bristol City" pick up much more momentum than they have done previously now with people joining in. 

I wish the away fans were a bit closer as we miss that needle that always enhanced the atmosphere but overall it's the best its been for ages.

Bit of a shame to see people booing and making gestures at the group of young lads singing that "Johnson taking us to Europe" song - if you don't like the song, just don't sing it. At least they're making noise. 

I don't like us singing that generic stuff but it's good to see young lads getting involved and coming up with new stuff.  

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Easy chants like "Red Army" and "Olay Olay Olay Olay - Bristol City" pick up much more momentum than they have done previously now with people joining in.

One thing I've noted generally is that we often seem to rush 'red army' chants, both in the pace of the chanting/clapping and a sense some fans want to get onto another chant. Imo longer drawn out chants like red army work better, everyone knows what it is, but it takes some time to spread. By the time some fans are just starting the people who started the chant are moving onto another one and it dies out quickly. Red army chants have the potential to be loud as we saw last night and go on for a long time being a source of constant noise. 

10 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I'd have to completely disagree - on my circler feed, the Villa fans were mostly quiet, the odd song now and again but the City singing was loud and clear, possibly because I know the songs and therefore could identify them, but there was definitely plenty of noise, in the first half and after the goal in particular. It's a bit of a wrong'n to say the Atyeo has crap acoustics, it's sounded loud with home fans on plenty of occasions. Just my view.

I thought the eastend was as loud as it has been for a long time tonight. I couldnt hear anything from villa only the sound of my own voice which has gone.

Dont get the critisism of the 'singing section' as harry said its an unreserved area not the ashton gate choir. Its not our job to cheerlead we're there to eatch the game like evryone else.

We're not there to improve your match day experience for you, if you want atmosphere make some. 

That said certian areas of the dolman and south stand did a good job getting involved. 

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Must be the mic placement I think. That probably sounds like an excuse but I was in the middle of the ground yesterday so could judge accurately.

Were Villa fans noisy on the occasions where they did sing? Sure. But it was sporadic with a surprisingly MK Dons-like repertoire of songs. 

Consistently over the 90 we were the far louder support with a superior repetoire of songs. Shame that didn't come across on TV.

It did, Phil, it did; don't worry.

8 hours ago, Clarky89 said:

They commentators kept saying what a special place it is to come under the lights. When we scored he went crazy over the top about how magical it is to come to the Gate on a Friday night! 

Well done singing section, well done Villa fans, what a great night.:clap:Me and my brother try from the Lansdown but some of the old codgers close to us really don't like us singing and standing up. Who was the lady in the purple skirt and jacket doing her nut in the SS? She looked to be having a ball.

I couldn't make it to the game last night (I hate missing home games) - City fans came across loud and clear on the radio and when I drove past the ground during the game (very strange experience to hear everything going on and not being in there). Sounded like a good atmosphere.

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Maybe I just didn`t hear it but I don`t think we had to endure `You only came for the Villa`. Learnt their lesson last season perhaps?

The atmosphere was terrific though, best I`ve heard in a long time. I even think I felt the SS move a bit when we scored!

It was superb, honestly, I think I punched some poor sod in the back of the head when we scored yesterday. I don't think I heard their lot, that was the best atmosphere in years.

The atmosphere last night was good. Having the singers in the corner between South and Dolman is what should have been done two years ago.

It will need several factors to come together for us to become a noisier and united crowd where everyone sings/chants the same one rather than little pockets starting up different ones together.

A team that is more consistent, who we know will scrap to the end, especially if we go behind.

Songs that are easy for everyone and not a select few. Songs that praise our team and players - who cares one little bit for the Sags?

And time for us all to gel together. We now have a home end with a regular 6,000 in it. We need to help the team to progress upwards. Keep any moaning to the forums.

4 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

Well done singing section, well done Villa fans, what a great night.:clap:Me and my brother try from the Lansdown but some of the old codgers close to us really don't like us singing and standing up. Who was the lady in the purple skirt and jacket doing her nut in the SS? She looked to be having a ball.

It's not that we don't want but when we get old, we have less physical energy and the older we get, it is harder to shout and sing like we did. Our lung capacity is reduced by up to 30% so we have to leave it to younger fans. I certainly appreciate how much you all do and I try to join in but nowhere near 100% of the time.

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

It's not that we don't want but when we get old, we have less physical energy and the older we get, it is harder to shout and sing like we did. Our lung capacity is reduced by up to 30% so we have to leave it to younger fans. I certainly appreciate how much you all do and I try to join in but nowhere near 100% of the time.

Nice one Cidered. We can all do our bit. 

Archived