IGNORED

Can we sell it out ?

shelts

4 hours ago, DaveF said:

It's hardly an inspiring fixture is it?

Maybe not but always nice to take on a Premiership side and if we squeeze a win then it adds to the confidence and feel good factor around the club just as we have seen with Watford this week.

37 minutes ago, kivsy said:

Tenner an adult , quid a kid would be good.  Lame draw stoke , knowing city it will be a commercial 15adult. 5er A kid.   Come on city let's fill up the ground , an uninspiring tie. Price it sensibly.  ?

Agreed. Would love to fill the ground up. Atyeo will look awful as they wont bring many down.

41 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

I imagine LJ will go with a similar side to that who beat Watford on tuesday night. Those players got us to the third round so imo they deserve to play in the third round. 

You can win as a football manager, if we play are so called stronger side and lose it'll be why did we not blood the hungry, energetic youngsters and vice versa if we field a so called weakened team. 

That side on tuesday night had the perfect balance of experience & youth for a cup tie.. roll on Stoke in the third round. 

More or less the same same would do me . A massive chance for us to progress 

So Watford was uninspiring, Stoke is dull... yet people see getting to the Premier league as all important. 

They will love paying £30/40 a game to watch regular games against this this of opposition, with the odd glamorous game thrown in.

44 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Best way to fill the ground is to give as a freebee to sc holders and charge £10 per game for others.  With a bit of pre match hype and publicity plus a small away following, that should just fill the ground and create a winning atmosphere.

Not sure if this is financially feasible though.

Like Stoke would agree to that..!

44 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

So Watford was uninspiring, Stoke is dull... yet people see getting to the Premier league as all important. 

They will love paying £30/40 a game to watch regular games against this this of opposition, with the odd glamorous game thrown in.

Great point . Half the prem teams don't excite me, as we wouldn't them, pay loads more for a ticket...promise land ?!!!!

Even though they are a so called 'established' premier league outfit I still look at Stoke as a tier 2/3 club.. must just be age but I'd imagine many will still have the some outlook on them. 15 k att max I reckon and that's with cheaper ticket prices.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Spot on for me. The Prem ain't all that, we have gone toe to toe for years with many clubs up there in the second and third tier and we would be paying through the nose to watch them. No thanks.

36 minutes ago, bris red said:

Spot on for me. The Prem ain't all that, we have gone toe to toe for years with many clubs up there in the second and third tier and we would be paying through the nose to watch them. No thanks.

My worry is that should we ever get to the Premier League that we will end up having to pay stupid fees, wages etc and will end up living beyond our means which will be detrimental to the clubs long term viability.  In saying that I don't want to see us being a Championship / League 1 yoyo club either which is pretty much what we are. The sooner the better that a European Super League is introduced and the big clubs disappear off into that. Only then will some normality return to British football. A lot of us on here have lived through the times that BCFC almost ceased to exist. I for one don't want to see that happen again.

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

My worry is that should we ever get to the Premier League that we will end up having to pay stupid fees, wages etc and will end up living beyond our means which will be detrimental to the clubs long term viability.  In saying that I don't want to see us being a Championship / League 1 yoyo club either which is pretty much what we are. The sooner the better that a European Super League is introduced and the big clubs disappear off into that. Only then will some normality return to British football. A lot of us on here have lived through the times that BCFC almost ceased to exist. I for one don't want to see that happen again.

To some big T they will say that's a lack of ambition. For me the big tv bubble will burst and we will then see who are the big clubs as it can't last for ever and those clubs that keep the books tidy will benefit 

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

To some big T they will say that's a lack of ambition. For me the big tv bubble will burst and we will then see who are the big clubs as it can't last for ever and those clubs that keep the books tidy will benefit 

I'm not advocating that we don't strive to get there but just saying it worry's me. In that respect it's one reason I am very happy that we have someone like SL at the helm. I agree with you about the bubble as it must burst at some point and will take a lot of clubs with it unless they have their wits about them.

8 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I'm not advocating that we don't strive to get there but just saying it worry's me. In that respect it's one reason I am very happy that we have someone like SL at the helm. I agree with you about the bubble as it must burst at some point and will take a lot of clubs with it unless they have their wits about them.

Totally agree with this reasoning. Bubble will eventually burst, creating the next GFC (global football crisis) Grass routes clubs like us will do better than most of this happens. It would still be nice if we won something in the meantime though.:chant6ez:

2 minutes ago, City Cat said:

Totally agree with this reasoning. Bubble will eventually burst, creating the next GFC (global football crisis) Grass routes clubs like us will do better than most of this happens. It would still be nice if we won something in the meantime though.:chant6ez:

We won the Johnson Cup against Cheltenham !!

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

good point, but it's the same in the championship burton one week aston villa the next.

43 minutes ago, City Cat said:

*Grass routes clubs like us?

I'd just like to point out to any potential visiting supporters reading this . 

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need 4x4 off-roaders  or horse drawn carriages to come to our place in the West Country backwaters....

You may well be surprised to hear that we've actually got tarmac and everything here in Bristol nowadays, the old farmer stereotype is grossly unfair...  awlroit me ol' babbers just sayin'  :farmer: 

(that goes for potential footballers contemplating a move to The Gate too, although obviously you can bring your 4x4 Chelsea tractors with you if you really must... no need to though a state of the art off-road MetroBus will be along in a minute or two!)

Grass routes my arse :yawn:

3 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

*Grass routes clubs like us?

I'd just like to point out to any potential visiting supporters reading this . 

Contrary to popular belief, you don't need 4x4 off-readers or horse drawn carriages to come to our place in the West Country backwaters....

You may well be surprised to hear that we've actually got tarmac and everything here in Bristol nowadays, the old farmer stereotype is grossly unfair...  awlroit me ol' babbers just sayin'  :farmer: 

(that goes for potential footballers contemplating a move to The Gate too, although obviously you can bring your 4x4 Chelsea tractors with you if you really must... no need to though a state of the art MetroBus will be along in a minute or two!)

Grass routes my arse :yawn:

OK..OK......Grass roots:facepalm:. Careless could do better as my English teacher frequently pointed out.

Funny rant though...you missed traveling to AG on a Routemaster bus in the old days though (poor grammar):yawn:

7 minutes ago, City Cat said:

OK..OK......Grass roots:facepalm:. Careless could do better as my English teacher frequently pointed out.

Funny rant though...you missed traveling to AG on a Routemaster bus in the old days though (poor grammar):yawn:

Or on the old Nailsea Flyer

flyer 1.jpg

12 minutes ago, City Cat said:

Loved catching the No 9 bus from Hanham Bus Depot (Tollgate now) to the Gate in the dim and distant past of my youth... (quite a walk from Gas country Cadbury Heath where I grew up, along roads, lanes and across fields full of cows (Longwell Green ASDA/ B&Q/ Home base etc now btw ;)) to Stone Hill and onto Hanham.  The old green Bristol Omnibus (sometimes even had the old hop on hop off platform types) I can still smell the distinctive smell of them old leather seats now if I think of them.

Happy days indeed slowly making our way through the huge crowds thronging the streets of Bemmy on their red and white army march towards the Gate... wonderful when we had a big game on. 

The rossett and program sellers greeting us at the park end entrance.. great days, all building up to cheering on the lads and the game itself, Gibbo, Garland, Galley, Parr, Wimshurst, Taunton, Sharpe, Skirton etc... then the rush back to get a seat on the No 9 from across the road near the bogs by the park.. for a steamy hot ride back to Hanham and a walk across the cow pat covered fields home (was like dodging landmines sometimes and we didn't always succeed! :laugh:) picking up a Green Un along the way.. loved it all... and those green bus journeys were very much part of most match day experiences back then too.

Back then, for us, I guess come to think about it, it was tarmac roads a truly grass routes football. :) 

1 hour ago, City Cat said:

That's it.....no. 354, or is it an old 25 to Clevedon via Long Ashton?

Wasn't a 354 back the. Can't remember the number but used to leave from the village green beside the Queens Head and went via Backwell. The Big Boy bus (double decker) picked up on the High St outside Holders and went via LA (Long Ashton).

Archived