IGNORED

OTIB Ongoing Quiz

BCFC Rich

3 hours ago, Euan BCFC said:

Guy Madjo I think, presuming by team in that country national sides count

Guy is the guy I was looking for!

He's played for Union Douala, according to www.thefinalball.com (and probably someone else in his homeland before he came to England, but I don't know who). 

58 minutes ago, Robin Ashton said:

Guy is the guy I was looking for!

He's played for Union Douala, according to www.thefinalball.com (and probably someone else in his homeland before he came to England, but I don't know who). 

Fair enough

As you probably know, before Goal Difference was Goal Average. However, what was City's first ever Difference?

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

In what minute was the only goal scored in City's away fixture at the Hawthorns in the 1975-6 promotion season and who scored it.

Pretty sure it was Gerry Sweeney.

About the 42nd minute?

One thing I am sure of is the 2nd half was like the Alamo and the City fans didn't stop singing for the whole 45 mins.

1 hour ago, Euan BCFC said:

And I'm pretty sure it's Robin Ashton's question!

Yep, but as havana has all the match day threads from 72-73 onwards he no doubt feels must throw in an obscure question from a particular long ago match every now and then. :rolleyes:

First to celebrate Sweeney's (or was that at Sunderland?) goal on that WBA match thread was apparently 15 year old BigTone, then known as Little Squirt Tone.

4 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Pretty sure it was Gerry Sweeney.

About the 42nd minute?

One thing I am sure of is the 2nd half was like the Alamo and the City fans didn't stop singing for the whole 45 mins.

Sweeney it was and a fellow poster reminded me on 'anymore'. I had no idea of the time of the goal but thought it was earlier than the 42nd minute... Any other offers?

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Yep, but as havana has all the match day threads from 72-73 onwards he no doubt feels must throw in an obscure question from a particular long ago match every now and then. :rolleyes:

First to celebrate Sweeney's (or was that at Sunderland?) goal on that WBA match thread was apparently 15 year old BigTone, then known as Little Squirt Tone.

And I was told I was too young to go... So I cursed the 1800 and sure enough the big end went. Serve em right.. I was a tiddler to be fair. 

Cheers for that Noggers.

On 8/27/2017 at 20:42, Red Right Hand said:

Twas the Oxford one I was thinking of - drew 2-2 and lost 3-2 on pens. Dave Rennie hit possibly the worst penalty I`ve ever seen - it went out of the ground!

I've often quoted this penalty as the worst I've ever seen, but I remember it as Mark Aizelwood hitting the advertising boards on the roof of the stand behind the goal.

The crowd was tiny, we went for a pint before the game and a pile of free tickets had been left on the bar, we picked up a couple and used them to get into the away end.

3 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I've often quoted this penalty as the worst I've ever seen, but I remember it as Mark Aizelwood hitting the advertising boards on the roof of the stand behind the goal.

The crowd was tiny, we went for a pint before the game and a pile of free tickets had been left on the bar, we picked up a couple and used them to get into the away end.

You could well be right, my memory says Rennie but it was a long time ago!

19 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Sweeney it was and a fellow poster reminded me on 'anymore'. I had no idea of the time of the goal but thought it was earlier than the 42nd minute... Any other offers?

41st minute? ;)

Think it was in the latter stages of the 1st half anyway - the celebrations and chanting continued throughout the interval as I remember it.

I haven't earned the right to post a question as I haven't answered on correctly. But there doesn't appear to be a question to be answered so here goes.

In 1976-77 season, Bristol City played a First Division home game in which they kicked off at the start of the match and again at the start of the Second Half.

Can anyone name the internationally famous referee who allowed this to happen?

You could also add the opposition and the final score if you wish.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I haven't earned the right to post a question as I haven't answered on correctly. But there doesn't appear to be a question to be answered so here goes.

In 1976-77 season, Bristol City played a First Division home game in which they kicked off at the start of the match and again at the start of the Second Half.

The first name that comes to mind is Clive Thomas.

I was going to post a question about Alex Lockhart, but I see he's come up on another thread.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I think Clive Thomas is right,was it Sunderland 4-1?

35 minutes ago, Robin Ashton said:

Who was the famous manager who during his playing days appeared as a wartime guest player for City?

It's either Bill Shankly or Bob Paisley IIRC. I'll go for Shankly.

If I'm right, what was the name of the field the Memorial swamp was built on?

24 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Not Clive Thomas. He gained notoriety at City for blowing for time when a corner kick was crossing the 6 yard box.

DKM Len you have the correct team and score. The mistake was only noticed when shown on TV later. Can't remember if MOD or Big Match.

Jack Taylor?

19 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

It's either Bill Shankly or Bob Paisley IIRC. I'll go for Shankly.

If I'm right, what was the name of the field the Memorial swamp was built on?

Paisley according to online sources, SJ.

I first learned of this in The Bristol Babe by David Woods, unfortunately, my copy isn't accessible to check if Shankly did as well. 

12 minutes ago, Robin Ashton said:

Paisley according to online sources, SJ.

I first learned of this in The Bristol Babe by David Woods, unfortunately, my copy isn't accessible to check if Shankly did as well. 

I'm sure you're right RA, my guess came from a dim and distant memory fella. I remember reading it in a book, years ago.

Archived