IGNORED

Post Match - Lee Johnson , Keith Andrews comments and 'Work In Progress'

BobBobSuperBob

Watching back Sky's coverage last night , personally I thought LJs post match interview was possibly the best I've heard from him

Nothing mind blowing , was just very calm , spoke very sensibly , thought his view / assessment was very sensible / fair and came across so, didn't make a big issue of the pen shouts when given the opportunity and when suggested we were very unlucky with the deflecte goal half agreed but pointed out that the midfield could have done better (to close down earlier / closer) better which is right , but said so with a smile -

As someone who has / is , been a real doubter of LJ and with his media stuff , especially post match interviews I thought he came across really well - was good to see 

Very Good interview Lee :thumbsup:

Onto Keith Andrews ,who with Lee Hendrix was doing punditry. I find a lot of what Andrews normally says is waffle and bland but I thought he got us nailed on

Overall was very fair and praised us generally - Suggested we'd be tough to beat  at the Gate and praised the way we try and play etc but he said words to effect / close to 'When they're at it and energetic and busy they are a handful , but/and they need to keep that intensity'

and mentioned a couple of times incl when asked if we could threaten top six said (nicely) that although decent , maybe we lack that little  extra bit of quality that the spending power of the big Clubs in this league have., particularly in the final third

I thought his assessment was very fair and hit the nail on the head, coming away last night , it was exactly my thoughts

One other comment of his (Think it was him not Hendrix) also takes me on nicely

He (Maybe Hendrie) post match , comparing the two sides pointed out that Villa have quality throughout their squad but looked disjointed as Bruce rebuilds whilst we look clearly coached and far more cohesive

When I read last nights match thread and some other posts and thread this morning , have to say I was shocked , maybe it's me that's having a funny turn......

First and foremost Villa have , on paper a quality Squad for this level with proven quality and options in most positions and let's be honest most neutral Championship Fans if offered the contents of the two line ups last night to form a side would pick virtually all Villa players.

so , even though they are very much in a rebuild and disjointed phase, last night was always going to be a tough fixture with the danger of sides like Villa that they have enough quality  about,  that even when playing poorly can undo you 

So personally , offered a point with a decent performance I would have taken that pre match and definitely when they equalised , so personally I came away thinking , reasonable / decent point , albeit during our first half domination and after scoring firstbInthought we might well nick all three.

I though we played decent / well , we were busy , kept our workrate for 90mins , competed right around the pitch and played some neat and tidy stuff at times - As a LJ sceptic I have to say we looked coached / drilled last night and much more cohesive than Villa - We at least looked as if we had a style and noticeable method of play where Villa didn't 

Whether you have faith in LJs philosophy of playing you could definitely see some fruition of work on the training ground and 1-11 looked as if they knew their role which didn't look the case many times last season

Well done LJ / Dh / JMc

I thought there were lots of good signs and individual bits and pieces to be positive about and and was particularly shocked by the match day thread , which reads as if we were dire in large parts - As a often sceptic / blunt assessor I thought the thread , and some of the posts were ridiculously negative and blind and in the vast majority of cases - very unfair

I still have some concerns about a lack of Plan B when things aren't rolling well and our potential consistently issues , and our ability to keep up the intensity we need to play this way / at our best over 90mins week in week out but they can be for another thread or day

My over riding feeling was we looked a mostly solid and cohesive unit with evidence of training ground definitely showing

:clap:

Back to Keith Andrews comments , .....

We look solid  / busy / dec not and most of us would agree (?) that we do lack that bit of special quality at times , in the final third , to cash in on periods of domination / possession which probably does reflect or status and spending power at this level so I can't get too miffed by this

Last night we got 'between' their lines and in / running at their back three on a regular basis , especially in the first half and missed opportunities to capitalise . That extra bit of quality costs big bucks besides being able to attract such players to your club and I think most of us accept that to be so

Came away last night really please with the performance personally and thinking we could be on the right lines - if we can add some real quality in a couple of areas we will be looking a decent Championship side if we perform like that on a consistent basis

Consistency over a period / seriesof games is what I'd love to see now (Performance more so than results) and proof we are progressing - I still fear we will have a Brentford in the next 2 or 3 games !

:thumbsup:

Well done LJ & Players

COYR

Maybe (For once !) I'm the one being over optimistic ?

Thought the comments were spot on, only thing we are missing is 2 quality strikers. 

Famara will, almost certainly improve, not ready for Championship football yet though.

bobby has had a good spell, again not sure it will last.

10 million on 2 proven championship strikers was a must, in my opinion, but Hayho, still a working progress

Good OP Bob....

I enjoyed the game and thought we did pretty well. Player for player, Villa generally better than us but we worked hard, looked pretty solid at the back and played some decent patches of football on the floor. At least we didn't resort to hoofball.

I won't go into details about my thoughts on individuals but as a team, we looked far superior to the Brentford and Millwall matches.

Now we need to do that consistently.

Nice observations in the OP.

When it comes to 'being coached'...I think we are finally seeing how LJ wants to play. Fast, decisive, give and go, high pressing, good movement, expansive...using the whole pitch and willing to switch play.

For me...the biggest influence in this high tempo way of playing, has been the influence of Bobby Reid. He doesn't stop running, or moving, both offensively and defensively.

If you do that from the front line, it has an effect on the rest of the team.

Consider how different it is, to the lumbering movement of Tomlin last season.

It's been a breath of fresh air, to see these lads play. Yesterday was a cracking Championship game. It had everything you could hope for.

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Good OP Bob....

I enjoyed the game and thought we did pretty well. Player for player, Villa generally better than us but we worked hard, looked pretty solid at the back and played some decent patches of football on the floor. At least we didn't resort to hoofball.

I won't go into details about my thoughts on individuals but as a team, we looked far superior to the Brentford and Millwall matches.

Now we need to do that consistently.

Spot On IMHO

Our hope of competing with those that can have £15 million pound players on the bench is to

recruit better than them (in Value for money terms)

Coach , develop &  and organise well and build a side rather than constant changes

( I accept we are trying to do all these)

I have slight concerns about becoming too  hooked into a single way of playing , some of the man management , and our hit and miss recruitment more than the coaching ATM but came away with the belief that there are some signs of progress and stability :thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

For me...the biggest influence in this high tempo way of playing, has been the influence of Bobby Reid. He doesn't stop running, or moving, both offensively and defensively.

I'd be interested to know how much ground he covered. He is like a machine! At one point in the first half, we had committed quite a few players forward when we lost the ball in the attacking 3rd and he ran back 50-60 yards to get goalside and get in a challenge. 

I think I read somewhere that he'd been on a "Back 2 Action" camp over the summer before pre-season. Not sure if this is common for professional footballers?

Anyway, always loved watching Bobby Reid, hope his form continues.

I came way from the game pleased with the performance and satisfied with a point.

Defensively we look solid now and organised.

I think they'll be a lot of tight games like that this season and as mentioned above, we just need a little more creativity or someone who can do something a little bit special every now and again - maybe Eliasson will be that man once he's up to speed.

I think Plan B will be Đurić when he's finally fit.

37 minutes ago, spudski said:

Nice observations in the OP.

When it comes to 'being coached'...I think we are finally seeing how LJ wants to play. Fast, decisive, give and go, high pressing, good movement, expansive...using the whole pitch and willing to switch play.

Consider how different it is, to the lumbering movement of Tomlin last season.

It's been a breath of fresh air, to see these lads play. Yesterday was a cracking Championship game. It had everything you could hope for.

Agree Spud

and add Famaras workrate !!

Whatever his pluses and minuses , boy does he work

Did my usual ofcwatching a few individuals for periods during the game, rather than follow the ball and his tracking back and workrate / willingness was incredible, he regularly overtook our midfielders to get back and defend !

As you say re BR - with his energy and fitness and FD physicality and willingness I thought they constantly harassed Terry & Co last night and must be a real pain to play against

Whether they can deliver enough goals ? Let's hope so , but they certainly help in other ways , make us , as a side far more solid and will help us concede less

Can't let the thread  pass without saying how solid the back four all played , thought both full backs and NB / BW were very good , and FF who appears right at the top of his game :clap:

But those front two (Backed up by the midfield 4) help by stopping Villa have comfortable possession - definitely a positive 

Just watched the game back. We more than matched villa. And we looked very much a championship side last night. A lot of positives . Special mention to Bobby Reid. I thought he was excellent. Always creating that space for himself. Watching back on tv and minus the thatchers lets you analyse things you might not normally see during the game. Always interested to hear what the pundits think of us . And I thought they were spot on . Quite like KA . Lots of hard work to do . But Bristol City showed up well last night. 

30 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Watching back Sky's coverage last night , personally I thought LJs post match interview was possibly the best I've heard from him

Nothing mind blowing , was just very calm , spoke very sensibly , thought his view / assessment was very sensible / fair and came across so, didn't make a big issue of the pen shouts when given the opportunity and when suggested we were very unlucky with the deflecte goal half agreed but pointed out that the midfield could have done better (to close down earlier / closer) better which is right , but said so with a smile -

As someone who has / is , been a real doubter of LJ and with his media stuff , especially post match interviews I thought he came across really well - was good to see 

Onto Keith Andrews ,who with Lee Hendrix was doing punditry. I find a lot of what Andrews normally says is waffle and bland but I thought he got us nailed on

Overall was very fair and praised us generally - Suggested we'd be tough to beat  at the Gate and praised the way we try and play etc but he said words to effect / close to 'When they're at it and energetic and busy they are a handful , but/and they need to keep that intensity'

and mentioned a couple of times incl when asked if we could threaten top six said (nicely) that although decent , maybe we lack that little  extra bit of quality that the spending power of the big Clubs in this league have., particularly in the final third

I thought his assessment was very fair and hit the nail on the head, coming away last night , it was exactly my thoughts

He (Maybe Hendrie) post match , comparing the two sides pointed out that Villa have quality throughout their squad but looked disjointed as Bruce rebuilds whilst we look clearly coached and far more cohesive

When I read last nights match thread and some other posts and thread this morning , have to say I was shocked , maybe it's me that's having a funny turn......

First and foremost Villa have , on paper a quality Squad for this level with proven quality and options in most positions and let's be honest most neutral Championship Fans if offered the contents of the two line ups last night to form a side would pick virtually all Villa players.

so , even though they are very much in a rebuild and disjointed phase, last night was always going to be a tough fixture with the danger of sides like Villa that they have enough quality  about,  that even when playing poorly can undo you 

So personally , offered a point with a decent performance I would have taken that pre match and definitely when they equalised , so personally I came away thinking , reasonable / decent point , albeit during our first half domination and after scoring firstbInthought we might well nick all three.

I though we played decent / well , we were busy , kept our workrate for 90mins , competed right around the pitch and played some neat and tidy stuff at times - As a LJ sceptic I have to say we looked coached / drilled last night and much more cohesive than Villa - We at least looked as if we had a style and noticeable method of play where Villa didn't 

Whether you have faith in LJs philosophy of playing you could definitely see some fruition of work on the training ground and 1-11 looked as if they knew their role which didn't look the case many times last season

Well done LJ / Dh / JMc

I thought there were lots of good signs and individual bits and pieces to be positive about and and was particularly shocked by the match day thread , which reads as if we were dire in large parts - As a often sceptic / blunt assessor I thought the thread , and some of the posts were ridiculously negative and blind and in the vast majority of cases - very unfair

I still have some concerns about a lack of Plan B when things aren't rolling well and our potential consistently issues , and our ability to keep up the intensity we need to play this way / at our best over 90mins week in week out but they can be for another thread or day

My over riding feeling was we looked a mostly solid and cohesive unit with evidence of training ground definitely showing

We look solid  / busy / dec not and most of us would agree (?) that we do lack that bit of special quality at times , in the final third , to cash in on periods of domination / possession which probably does reflect or status and spending power at this level so I can't get too miffed by this

Last night we got 'between' their lines and in / running at their back three on a regular basis , especially in the first half and missed opportunities to capitalise . That extra bit of quality costs big bucks besides being able to attract such players to your club and I think most of us accept that to be so

Came away last night really please with the performance personally and thinking we could be on the right lines - if we can add some real quality in a couple of areas we will be looking a decent Championship side if we perform like that on a consistent basis

Consistency over a period / seriesof games is what I'd love to see now (Performance more so than results) and proof we are progressing - I still fear we will have a Brentford in the next 2 or 3 games !

Well done LJ & Players

COYR

Very, very good post "Bob"!  Deserves more than my one like.

Re Match Day thread, don't forget there will be lots on there posting based on radio commentary or twitter updates.  Listening on the radio always make 'your' side sound like they are about to concede at any point.  Last night some will have the advantage of Sky.

We are starting to build a capable squad.  You cannot press at full tilt for 90, and I think we are starting to learn that in those periods where we are getting our breath back, we need to stay compact.  Last season it was in those periods that we'd inevitably concede.  

Nice to hear your comments on LJ.  We are of a similar stance (as you know), but it's only fair to give praise when it's due (as is the opposite).

We do lack those 1, 2 or 3 top level players that win you games on their own.  But they cost serious amounts.  It's evolution for us.

5 minutes ago, Kibs said:

I'd be interested to know how much ground he covered. He is like a machine! At one point in the first half, we had committed quite a few players forward when we lost the ball in the attacking 3rd and he ran back 50-60 yards to get goalside and get in a challenge. 

I think I read somewhere that he'd been on a "Back 2 Action" camp over the summer before pre-season. Not sure if this is common for professional footballers?

Anyway, always loved watching Bobby Reid, hope his form continues.

He does , and has done for at least the last couple of summers

Its local , run by a black guy , whose name I can never remember , and attended by a few prem players too

Mentioned it on a couple of threads about BR - Fair play for doing it , the results are clear to see for me

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

LJ always speaks well. 

The one time I saw him flustered and angry was after City had thrown a 0- 2 lead at Hillsboro.

Cant blame him for that reaction.

Sorry Robbo

but (IMHO) that's nonsense - some of his media stuff , particularly his calling players out has been regularly awful, and one of his worst traits (IMHO) and possibly very impactive with players :shifty:

Cant change the past , and is he learning ?

Yes I think he is - I praised a post match I/v earlier in season , and last night he was excellent 

52 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Well done LJ / Dh / JMc

Well done LJ & Players

COYR

Welcome back BBSB. :thumbsup:

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You cannot press at full tilt for 90, and I think we are starting to learn that in those periods where we are getting our breath back, we need to stay compact.  Last season it was in those periods that we'd inevitably concede.  

Excellent point Dave

Another thing that struck me but I failed to raise

Totally agree how we looked more comfortable than most of last season when Villa were dominating possession - if that continues , a massive plus and think we may 'catch' a few sides away from home this season - we press and nick the ball well at times and if we can be a bit more ruthless with the ball ..... :thumbsup:

Watching players off the ball last night , out shape and regaining if shape when we've lost the ball was really good generally

Down to communication , willingness and you have to say , work on the training ground :thumbsup:

I try and look at performances and signs as much as results and so would have been happier coming away last night even had we lost as opposed to completely stealing abpoint or points with a Brentford type performance 

As an ex centre half - your updated thoughts about BW / NB would be interesting ( I thought they were both excellent - Both , but Baker was a warrior - I'm a big Flinty fan but couldn't leave either out ATM) - Look to be forming a v good partnership which as we know is as / more important than their individual attributes

• Admin

I generally found the Sky pundits were very impressed with our stadium rebuild with lots of talk about this being a club that is ready to push for the Prem at the start, I think this got into their mindset through the whole evening and we were not so much the "little Bristol City" they have visited in the past.

As for Johnson, I've accepted he's here for the long term now so I just want him to improve. He didn't deal with the pressure of the relegation threat and campaign against him last season very well in my opinion. He consistently threw players under the bus at the height of this pressure and so far this season has come across far more professional when conducting interviews. I did brace myself when they started asking him questions about the equaliser, almost begging him "please don't single out Pack" but he was fine, said he'd have liked the midfield (in general terms rather than individuals) to press that situation more but seemed to accept it as something that happens in a season (I'm sure we will be the beneficiary on another occasion).

If I'm being greedy I'd have liked him to have won the game from the bench in that last 10mins (I think Bruce won that duel as Villa were on top slightly for that period) but accept he didn't have the array of options on there that Bruce did and it may have been different if Djuric wasn't injured.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Re Match Day thread, don't forget there will be lots on there posting based on radio commentary or twitter updates.  Listening on the radio always make 'your' side sound like they are about to concede at any point.  Last night some will have the advantage of Sky.

We are starting to build a capable squad.  You cannot press at full tilt for 90, and I think we are starting to learn that in those periods where we are getting our breath back, we need to stay compact.  Last season it was in those periods that we'd inevitably concede.  

Nice to hear your comments on LJ.  We are of a similar stance (as you know), but it's only fair to give praise when it's due (as is the opposite).

We do lack those 1, 2 or 3 top level players that win you games on their own.  But they cost serious amounts.  It's evolution for us.

Good point Dave. I came away a little frustrated last night, purely because I thought we played so so well and deserved the victory but felt that we dropped off quite noticeably in the last 10 when I thought we should've gone for the jugular. But you're right it's not necessarily possible for us to go the whole 90 minutes full tilt. I thought we played very very well last night overall, as BBSB pointed out it was a really cohesive and drilled performance with everyone really putting it in. Well done LJ and the boys. Here's hoping it can continue after the break. 

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Excellent point Dave

Another thing that struck me but I failed to raise

Totally agree how we looked more comfortable than most of last season when Villa were dominating possession - if that continues , a massive plus and think we may 'catch' a few sides away from home this season - we press and nick the ball well at times and if we can be a bit more ruthless with the ball ..... :thumbsup:

Watching players off the ball last night , out shape and regaining if shape when we've lost the ball was really good generally

Down to communication , willingness and you have to say , work on the training ground :thumbsup:

I try and look at performances and signs as much as results and so would have been happier coming away last night even had we lost as opposed to completely stealing abpoint or points with a Brentford type performance 

As an ex centre half - your updated thoughts about BW / NB would be interesting ( I thought they were both excellent - Both , but Baker was a warrior - I'm a big Flinty fan but couldn't leave either out ATM) - Look to be forming a v good partnership which as we know is as / more important than their individual attributes

These are my ratings for the back 5 from the Ratings thread:

Fielding - 7 - for someone who defends his kicking, he frustrated me tonight as he did Millwall.  Very assured performance with the gloves though...perhaps he should wear them on his feet too 

Pisano - 7 - very, very solid....would've been an 8 or 9 if his crossing had been better and Bjarneson hasn't come on.  He caused Eros some problems as he tired.  I love watching him positionally, both when we are attacking and defending.  He is a huge upgrade on Litts.  Like a lot of foreign players he moves to accept the ball, or give options.  Bailey Wright benefits massively from having Eros on his outside.  Andre Green - non-existent.

Bryan - 7 - really happy with his defensive contribution tonight. Did he really get beaten tonight.  Strong in the air and tackle, playing against a very tidy Elmohamady.

Wright - 7 - very assured.  Got done once towards end of first half by Davis, but otherwise stopped Villa getting in behind us.  Much better onthe right side of a two. 

Baker - 7 - wanted to give him an 8, but thought Davis got into the game second half, but as Wright, even though neither are blessed with pace, we don't look like getting done in behind.  What a header to block that first half shot.

Happy to go into detail on the CB pairing, but I think they play as a pair, and have a good understanding already.

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sorry Robbo

but (IMHO) that's nonsense - some of his media stuff , particularly his calling players out has been regularly awful, and one of his worst traits (IMHO) and possibly very impactive with players :shifty:

Cant change the past , and is he learning ?

Yes I think he is - I praised a post match I/v earlier in season , and last night he was excellent 

Generally he's pretty good in his dealings with media and us fans. Him calling players out........He did that at Ipswich last season but apart from that I can't recall any other occasions. 

No doubt he's learnt that criticism of individual players is a no no. 

LJs public image is very different to the way he goes about dealing with player tho.

2 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I generally found the Sky pundits were very impressed with our stadium rebuild with lots of talk about this being a club that is ready to push for the Prem at the start, I think this got into their mindset through the whole evening and we were not so much the "little Bristol City" they have visited in the past.

As for Johnson, I've accepted he's here for the long term now so I just want him to improve. He didn't deal with the pressure of the relegation threat and campaign against him last season very well in my opinion. He consistently threw players under the bus at the height of this pressure

Spot On (IMHO) 

and so far this season has come across far more professional when conducting interviews.

Definitely

I did brace myself when they started asking him questions about the equaliser, almost begging him "please don't single out Pack" but he was fine, said he'd have liked the midfield (in general terms rather than individuals)

Very noticeable change in approach - thought his response was excellent - honest enough to identify Pack should have closed down better but didn't call anyone out or make a meal of it as you pointed out 

to press that situation more but seemed to accept it as something that happens in a season (I'm sure we will be the beneficiary on another occasion).

If I'm being greedy I'd have liked him to have won the game from the bench in that last 10mins (I think Bruce won that duel as Villa were on top slightly for that period) but accept he didn't have the array of options on there that Bruce did and it may have been different if Đurić wasn't injured.

Another good / fair point 

Very good post that Ian , with (IMHO) some very salient points

26 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We do have depth in the squad now for 'like for like' players...my only criticism of LJ at the moment, would be his late Substitutions, when it's obvious certain players are flagging and that bit of energy is needed to be re injected.

With the way we play, players are going to be knackered. This is when we start to let teams come at us. Our strengths in this league, is our energy and willingness to press all over the pitch.

Get that energy throughout the 90 mins. Thought Odowda and Eliasson should have come on at least 10 mins earlier.

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Generally he's pretty good in his dealings with media and us fans. Him calling players out........He did that at Ipswich last season but apart from that I can't recall any other occasions. 

No doubt he's learnt that criticism of individual players is a no no. 

LJs public image is very different to the way he goes about dealing with player tho.

Can't change what's gone Robbo but I'm struggling to remember a game where he didn't , or make a 'daft comment'

As recently as Brentford and 'we deserved a point' he has a tendency to say (IMHO) silly things but has been much better this season

He definitely seems to be making an effort not to out individuals and that was definitely needed

Im not sure what you're alluding to re his persona with players , I've heard plenty over the last 18 months , though nothing (Other than on here ) of the right here / right now

I hope , like the media I/vs he's constantly learning and not improving

Personally , not sure how well he copes with stress / frustration  and IMHO that's when he mis manages the media I/vs

When he , personally , is relatively happy with what he's seen he comes across and speaks totally differently

Don't always agree with you Bob, but that OP is a better summary of how I felt after last nights game that I could have come up with! Absolutely spot on.

Definite signs of progress this season so far: we've drawn the last 3, but probably 2 of those we'd have lost last season. And for that reason I am feeling more confident that we're on course for the mid table finish that would make this a good season for us.

We certainly look much stronger defensively, and when we do concede we don't go into panic mode the way we did last year. I still feel midfield needs something more but not sure what! Certainly players like Watkins at Brentford, and the guy who scored for Villa last night have impressed and I wonder if we need that sort of strength and height, but then again not sure how or where they'd fit into our side without disrupting the system we've got going now, and as you've said that really is evident now. It's obvious now, in hindsight, how massively counter to our game plan Tomlin's style of play is, and all the other stuff aside I can't help thinking that was a big reason things didn't click last season.

Definitely agree about the lack of a plan B, and the quality and impact of the Villa subs last night compared to ours was very evident. I think we're probably ok defensively, assuming Hegelers injury isn't bad. Eliasson seems to be in the Paterson Brownhill mould but still too early to be sure. Up front I think Woodrow was probably a bit of a panic loan in response to FDs early form, running out of steam after 70 minutes, and to Đurić's injury. As another poster has said, I'm sure he's an important part of our plan this season and the quicker we can get him fit the better.

Definitely promising though, and definite signs that things are coming together, literally - the players look like they know what the game plan is and are comfortable playing to it. 

I agree with most of these posts. I watched the game online last night and we were mostly solid at the back. We lack quality in midfield. The lads there are still young one or two of them need to kick on this year - will they make it?

We need to spend on a midfielder. We're short there - Korey Smith doesn't look like the player he was, and Pack works his butt off but can't do it for 90mins and sometimes is out of position. The service to the front two was bad. And the balls into the box were in the main terrible. You've got to get your best crosser taking corners, Patersons efforts were woeful.

We have 6 (or is it 7) strikers on the books, how did we end up with this many - whom many believe aren't good enough? I'd like to see Engvall get some games when he's back from loan - he should be sharp then and full of confidence, he smacks the goals in over in Sweden.

The biggest positive is the back 4. So solid. Bryan was caught inside a couple of times in the 1st half, but learnt quickly and didn't do it again. Luckily we weren't punished. We look organised and difficult to beat. And we have the capability to punish teams on the break as the Watford game showed. I'd like to see some more of these young 'uns given a chance - they were clinical, something that in this Villa match at least we weren't.

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Armchair viewer and my thoughts post game were that the defensive unit worked very hard and well together. If the club can afford it they should keep Flint, as we need strong cover at the back, because the other parts of the team are some way off yet, we will get injuries and we need to keep the resilience  at the back shown last night.  Why ? Well yes it was true when we had space , before Villa changed tactics, that we had areas to move in and looked very very good. But as soon as that space was reduced, and it was not to the Milwall extent, it starts to break down. We really created very little apart from a lot of running round, the service to the forwards did not exist. Now Villa are going to sort their act and are going to be up the top somewhere, and we are going to play a lot worse than them, and for sure can get 3 points against easier opposition, but only if that intensity is kept up. Last season it wasn't. , but I could not see anything that made me think we are going to break teams down if they reduce our space and movement. The only one who impressed me was Bobby, as he constantly found space and moved his markers around. But he was never given service. We are missing for sure a high quality midfield player. The Tomlin that helped save relegation in his loan stint did that, last years Tomlin was a waste of space. It worries me that we have not signed a high potential central midfielder. We have so much money tied up with Moore, Engvall, Horgur that we cannot afford one. I do hope we can loan someone. The forwards, well we have some but they are injured so we have to wait to see what Taylor and Milan bring to the show over the next months. "Fam" is no JK or Tammy. 

However, the big positive was the keeping of shape throughout the team, that was a good step forward, and will hold us in good form if we keep that up. Being hard to beat is rule one and the back 5 looked on top of it. Lets build on that platform, and not make it a TV performance like last season, and a one off, and get to mid table and stay there. 

I don't think that the coaching team at AG can have missed this - it's so obvious it's painful...

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

We do have depth in the squad now for 'like for like' players...my only criticism of LJ at the moment, would be his late Substitutions, when it's obvious certain players are flagging and that bit of energy is needed to be re injected.

With the way we play, players are going to be knackered. This is when we start to let teams come at us. Our strengths in this league, is our energy and willingness to press all over the pitch.

Get that energy throughout the 90 mins. Thought Odowda and Eliasson should have come on at least 10 mins earlier.

Yep, don't disagree...I think he was worried Villa were just getting on top and subbing at that point would be an easy criticism if they went on to win.  The chaps sat next to me we're saying this is a game to take the point, even if we deserved 3 (just shaded it), but certainly not come away with nothing (Brentford, PNE last season?).  The Football Manager player in us wouldve gone "gung-ho" to win a home game!

Seems to like this double sub lark.  I'd go one at a time and see how it plays out. But that's me!

7 minutes ago, shelts said:

It's the attacking last third where we let ourselves down where we come unstuck as we haven't quite got enough to hurt teams . We looked a decent side last night . Can we have every game played on Sky please 

The thing is we always look half decent at home and always give teams a game. 

My BIG concern ( I keep coming back to it ) is away from home. Away from home we are awful, and the four points dropped at home in our last two home games could come back to haunt us later in the season.

I didn't learn anything from last nights game, simply because we were at home, we are a soft touch away from home and as the season goes along that will be where I will judge us.

Archived