IGNORED

6 from 5

cidercity1987

5 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Going into the International break plus a hammering of Plymouth reserves and an away win against a Premiership side.

What do you think then?

3 points worse off than this time last year with a much much easier start in the league is surely a cause for concern?

But is the oft repeated phrase 'we'd have lost that last year' true of our draws?

Are we looking at another relegation battle or mid table mediocrity for once? 

Currently 4pts of the bottom team and 9pts of the top team, if this is continued we will finish closer to the bottom.......much closer.

3 hours ago, Cowshed said:

The Millwall game was far more even v the Brentford game. Villa even. City came back last season from two down v Leeds early season.

Which is why I was specific to one draw. Saying "we would have lost that season" ... Has no substance. Allowing the opposition x3 more shots x2 more possession will result in defeat frequently regardless of whatever steely / weak mindset the team has at that time.

Leeds was two seasons ago

I don't buy that 'we've had an easy start'. You have to perform in every championship match to pick up points. Look at what Barnsley and Millwall did to Sunderland and Norwich today!

Happy with our start. We've played some good, quick passing football. And we look far more resilient now. I'm loving the Wright Baker partnership at CB. Not only are they streetwise and aggressive, but they are also very calm on the ball and can pick a pass. 

I think it's been a promising start with room for improvement when our injured forwards return, particularly pleased with the options we have in the back four.

It's difficult to judge other teams at this stage, we thought Barnsley and Millwall were poor when we played them but Barnsley now level on points with us and Millwall beat Norwich 4-0 today.

There are some big clubs in this league with problems, Villa, Sunderland, Norwich, Brum etc, our outlook is rosy compared to those teams and their fans very unhappy.

14 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I think it's been a promising start with room for improvement when our injured forwards return, particularly pleased with the options we have in the back four.

It's difficult to judge other teams at this stage, we thought Barnsley and Millwall were poor when we played them but Barnsley now level on points with us and Millwall beat Norwich 4-0 today.

There are some big clubs in this league with problems, Villa, Sunderland, Norwich, Brum etc, our outlook is rosy compared to those teams and their fans very unhappy.

Exactly. This league is unpredictable at the best of times and more so early in the season. Consistency is everything that's why you can't judge how things really are this early. Some really positive signs and some concerns too at the moment. Time will tell. COYR

For me it's an improvement. Not massive in terms of first 11 but significant in the squad. I'd like to think we've been competitive in all matches. We've only lost once in 7 games, 5 in the league. It shows the fine margins. Pisano shot/cross goes in and we are hailing a good start. 

We've had some good spells in games and looked very dangerous. That said we have also looked like not creating and  been outmuscled at times too. I think overall it's satisfactory. But we've got some good fixtures coming up that will really test us.

I feel the biggest hope would be for diedhiou to hit form. If he does that we could be a top 10 side. But we have to learn his game and play to his strengths. Then its just a case of if be is actually good enough. I am impressed with our back four though particularly.

19 hours ago, Cowshed said:

The Millwall game was far more even v the Brentford game. Villa even. City came back last season from two down v Leeds early season.

Which is why I was specific to one draw. Saying "we would have lost that season" ... Has no substance. Allowing the opposition x3 more shots x2 more possession will result in defeat frequently regardless of whatever steely / weak mindset the team has at that time.

Yeah, I've used that phrase this season already, and you' really probably right in that it's a bit of old tosh!

I would probably correct it by saying that there have been spells in the last 2 home games where I think we might've conceded a goal(s).  The late flurry of chances for Millwall, and Villa's pressure on Friday.  That would've meant two losses instead of two draws and I reflect back to Brentford and Preston last season where we couldn't force a win, and ended up losing the point we'd fought hard to get in up and down performances.

I sense a little bit of settling for what we've got.  A point, is one on the board, and one that can't be taken away from us, certainly Villa.  I think that is why COD and NE only came on with 4mins to go.  Might've been different if it was 1-1 v Bolton or Burton, but we paid a bit of respect to the players Villa had on the pitch.  Millwall was a funny game where we never had any rhythm second half.

although its the points that count. IMO we are a stronger team all round.

Defensively we are very strong with a few options to choose from for each game.  

Mid field are always looking good. 

Upfront to be decided, - Reid is obviously on fire at the moment my concern comes from our new Striker DIedhiou who doesn't install me with confidence at all, he seems very static and unless the ball comes straight to him, he doesnt go for it. 

Early days into the season if we keep playing as we are things should start going our way points wise. 

Archived