IGNORED

Lee Tomlin transfer £1.5M

ashton_fan

Delighted that we sold him.

Can anyone think of another City signing that went sour quite so quickly? 

Tomlin was adored by fans when on loan and throughout the will-we-won't-we sign him period there was almost a frenzy among fans urging us to do a deal. In no time at all the majority of fans are delighted to see him elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Tomlin was adored by fans when on loan and throughout the will-we-won't-we sign him period there was almost a frenzy among fans urging us to do a deal. In no time at all the majority of fans are delighted to see him elsewhere.

Tony Dining played for the contract then stole a living 

8 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

To some extent, Andy Cole.  Signed after a very successful loan spell and started well the following season but soon injured and then (by his own admission) unsettled by interest from other clubs.  Left for Newcastle after barely half a season as a permanent player, for a pittance (well, maybe not a pittance, but I thought £1.75m was a bit of a steal at the time).

12 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

To some extent, Andy Cole.  Signed after a very successful loan spell and started well the following season but soon injured and then (by his own admission) unsettled by interest from other clubs.  Left for Newcastle after barely half a season as a permanent player, for a pittance (well, maybe not a pittance, but I thought £1.75m was a bit of a steal at the time).

our biggest cock up of all proportions thinking he wouldnt go on to do anything and not putting any sell on clause in to the contract......lost out on vast sum of money when he went for 7 mill to united 

On 8/27/2017 at 08:54, ashton_fan said:

According to Channel 5 Neil Warnock phoned them and asked them to point out he'd only paid £1.5M for Tomlin not £3M as reported. Apart from the fact that we lost half our original fee doesn't this put Cardiff in breach of contract since the transfer fee was supposed to be undisclosed? Just shows how thin-skinned Warnock is since it put him in a poor light with Tomlin hardly featuring for Cardiff so far.

If Cardiff were in breach of contract, what's the worst that could happen? Tomlin wouldn't be returned to us, and if settled in the courts Cardiff might be fined a few thousand for beaching the rules of the deal, but all in all it's peanuts to a football club when they have the chance to destablise an opponent.

I'm not a fan of Warnock, but in my view he's got no reason to lie. If history shows us anything, we've always sold players on the cheap, and the club would want to hide that when they've built their entire foundation on buying low and selling high. Why else do clubs opt to make a transfer fee undisclosed.

Clubs do it all the time, anyway. One club will say undisclused, and another club will give the future. Neither necessarily needs to be true, but it's all mind games, and it's been going on long enough to indicate that it works.

On 27/08/2017 at 15:04, REDOXO said:

The two people in football I would trust the least. Colin and Lee Tomlin are made for each other and they know it. Cardiff great start. Tomlin has a goal if not mistaken and will get his chance. Our fee was up to 4m with add ons which I guess we got nowhere near. What we paid upfront and what we got upfront is the issue. Looks like a fat loss! If you pardon the pun. 

No goals for Tomlin so far. 

A couple of weeks ago Vincent Tan very publicly slated a previous manager for wasting Tan's money on buying a player where things didn't work out.

Malky Mackay: Owner Vincent Tan says ex-Cardiff boss an 'idiot' over Cornelius signing

I imagine Warnock has taken pre-emptive action to protect himself, having realised that Tomlin was less of a bargain they he had thought.

The fact that Tomlin has mainly been bench warming" despite Warnock stating that he would build the team around him suggests that all is not well behind the scenes.

Not sure I'd trust what Colin says, the man has proven himself a liar time and again. I'd have been livid if this were true and the story about his arrest hadn't come out but as it has I think the club did the best thing under the circumstances and as good a player as Tomlin is to watch if he's a nob then it's counter productive having him around. Just a shame in that case that we signed him in the first place without realising. 

2 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

We signed him because people were embarrassing themselves stalking him on social media.

If we had not have signed him it would have been LJ's fault for missing an opportunity.

I highly doubt that fans tweets made us go out and spend £3-3.5m on a transfer fee and the same again on wages.  

There'd have been disappointment if we hadn't tried to sign him yes but that would have evaporated as soon as we'd signed an alternative.

1 minute ago, Keyardiv said:

Several people will know what the fee was, at your club as well as ours. Do you honestly think he would go on the record and just lie about it? 

Of course, he has a track record of bare faced lying in public to protect himself over many decades.  He's got no integrity at all.

Given that you know he's lying and as your club hasn't corrected him, would you like to share the specifics of the deal?

I think you've misunderstood, I said I wouldn't trust a word he says because he's a liar, not anything about this particular occasion.  Look it's ok to be upset that your club is managed by a horrific scumbag, you don't need to be so defensive about it.  

A pretty pointless comment really then.

No, not really.  It was worth pointing out the suspect source as a liar so people remember not to be too trusting.  Was there any point you wanted to make or were you just here for a bit of a cry?

4 hours ago, cswhitlock said:

our biggest cock up of all proportions thinking he wouldnt go on to do anything and not putting any sell on clause in to the contract......lost out on vast sum of money when he went for 7 mill to united 

I don't think we forgot to put in a clause , it was part of the deal that it wasn't put in . 

2 hours ago, Keyardiv said:

Several people will know what the fee was, at your club as well as ours. Do you honestly think he would go out of his way to go on the record and just lie about it? 

Theere are City fans who don't believe a word they are told by our he'd coach and owner, so they certainly aren't going to believe what Warnock says! :)

Having said that, some City fans are so perverse that while they would not believe a word said by Lee Johnson they probably would believe what Warnock ( a proven experienced Championship manager) says.

8 hours ago, Keyardiv said:

Several people will know what the fee was, at your club as well as ours. Do you honestly think he would go out of his way to go on the record and just lie about it? 

Yes.

Look at who your manager is...

He is absolutely the type of person who would go out of his way to lie about something if he thought there was an advantage to be had- be it for the club, or to save himself from the type of slagging off that Tan gave Mackay.

8 hours ago, Keyardiv said:

So you don't think Tan would know what we really paid for Tomlin either? So Warnock can just make a figure up and ring up a TV station in an attempt to deliberately mislead him. And all the other officials at the club go along with this deception of the club's owner too. This gets more intruiging all the time.

of course he would but he wouldn't want the fans to know how much they have over paid, this is tan, the man who made you play in red

Archived